Which Sunset Cruise?

98Charlie

We will be in Key West December 2 and want to take a sunset cruise, preferrably on a sailing ship. I've found 4 so far. Any opinions on:

1. Schooner Western Union
  2. Schooner Wolf
  3. Schooner Appledore
  4. Schooner Liberty

We enjoy a good time but want to avoid the "party boat" atmosphere.

TIA

Charlie

The Western Union is truly a beautiful ship. It is the original ship that layed the cable between Key West and Cuba and has a ton of history. They serve a snack, conch chowder and key lime pie (i believe), and beverages. The sunset sail is a bit more expensive than the others, but it is a magnificent ship.

I also am very fond of the Liberty. Their ship is a bit smaller and usually has a few less people.

On both ships you'll be sitting on the cabin top, and as real working schooners, will usually accept an offer to help pull a line.

The appledore and wolf are schooners as well, a little smaller, and a little cheaper. You will find all these (except the Liberty) at the Historic Seaport a.k.a The Bight.

Either way, there is no better way to enjoy a Key West sunset.

ps December? A good idea is to bring a long sleeve (sweatshirt, light jacket) as it will get cool when the sun sets and you are on the water.

We sailed the Western Union sunset cruise and had a great time. They even get you to help with raising the sails!!! We had a race with another sailing ship and they set off "cannons". This was a highlight of our vacation and would highly recommend it.

kimberly

Archived