Pick up luggage in Lax to PPt?

runrgrl

We are flying from Canada to LA, and then to Tahiti. Do we have to get our luggage in LA and check in to Air Tahiti Nui, or will it be transfered for us??

You'll have to get your luggage and check it again. When are you travelling? We're flying on Thursday Toronto to LA; then on to Papette.

I'm wondering of this also applies to US citizens who are flying into LAX from a US airport. I had thought that our luggage would be checked through to Papeette, especially with Princess Air arrangements. If not, I guess that would account for at least part of what I understand is a rather lengthy check-in process for the LAX - Papeette flight.

You'll need to check with the airline that you're flying into LAX. Last July, our baggage was checked all the way from Cleveland to Papette. It was very convenient and avoided the time of claiming and rechecking in Los Angeles!!

I'm wondering about this too--I read somewhere that if you were flying on a partner of ATN, which we are (AA), that they would be checked through. But I guess that's only within the US, not Canada. Oh well. Do you think that 3 hours is enough between flights? Our TA thinks it's the stopover timing, but she may not have been thinking about the baggage nonsense. I'm half inclined to take the super-early AC flight instead, or deviate and go the day before.

What most Americans don't realize is that we clear US customs and immigration here in Toronto, so the flight is then treated as domestic.

Since you don't need to clear customs, I would think that 3 hours is plenty of time. Most US domestic flights arrive in a separate terminal and then you need to walk or take the shuttle (it runs constantly) to the International terminal. I wonder, since you're arriving from Canada, if your flight is considered "international" and will arrive in the Tom Bradley International terminal. That would make it even more convenient for you.

Since you don't need to clear customs, I would think that 3 hours is plenty of time. Most US domestic flights arrive in a separate terminal and then you need to walk or take the shuttle (it runs constantly) to the International terminal. I wonder, since you're arriving from Canada, if your flight is considered "international" and will arrive in the Tom Bradley International terminal. That would make it even more convenient for you.

I think this depends on what airline you're travelling on. We're flying Air Canada to LA and even though we do go through US customs in Toronto; we'll still need to collect our bags and change terminals. Three hours should be ok though...we have a 3 hour difference on our return flight...as long as all flights are on time, of course.

We're not going til October. We booked the air through Princess (it was actually cheaper that way) We are also flying from Toronto, so will be through US customs there.

I guess those that are going soon can get back to me later!!

We're not going til October. We booked the air through Princess (it was actually cheaper that way) We are also flying from Toronto, so will be through US customs there.

I guess those that are going soon can get back to me later!!

We booked our air through Princess too. I let you know what happens when we return. We fly this Thursday, but my TA told me we will have to pick up our luggage and recheck it with Air Tahiti Nui.

Archived