Portable steamers no longer allowed on RCL

For anyone interested, I asked RCL about taking a portable steamer on board and the answer I received is below.

Now there are no self-laundry facilities, no irons and now no steamers.

Guests are no longer allowed to bring portable clothes steamers onboard. However, full laundry service is available for a nominal service fee. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Christopher Fitzgerald

Customer Service Representative

Guests are no longer allowed to bring portable clothes steamers onboard.

I hope this isn't the case. I specifically asked DH to get me a portable steamer for Christmas so I could bring it on our cruise. I do NOT want to have to pay to get the clothes ironed.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission!;)

Well put. I doubt the steamer is a fire hazard...or they wouldn't let us bring any electronics aboard.

Take the steamer and enjoy your cruise!!!

Hi Everyone and I appreciated your comments about portable steamers.

I'm quite happy taking the risk and 'smuggling' it on board but I have read on CC that they are detected as you board and are thus confiscated. This is my first cruise and so I'm not sure how the 'frisking' works. I'm presuming it's some electronic screening device like airports use and which would detect a steamer.

Anyone know? I really don't want to pay the exorbitant pressing costs when on board and I'm not too keen on the 'creased look' either. I have read that you can buy an anti-wrinkle spray which is quite effective or if you put your clothes in the bathroom with the shower on hot it will steam the wrinkles out to a degree.

We have 3 formal nights on out upcoming cruise and 2 semi-formals to prepare for.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Thanks

Hilary

I've never tried the anti-wrinkle spray but many say it works great.

I don't think the costs for having your clothes pressed are far out of line.

But of course you can smuggle the steamer on board and may just get away with it. Tuck it in next to your booze,iron and microwave. They'll never notice it.;)

We took Downy Wrinkle release with us and LOVED it... I went through pretty much all of our clothes in about 15 mins and they looked great. You just have to make sure to smooth out the wrinkles right after you spray them. We didn't try hanging anything in the bathroom..

We did send out 2 dress shirts, pants, and one of my sundresses to get pressed and I think it was less then $7, so not bad at all. And if I remember right, you could specify if you wanted a crease in the pants.

Here is a link to laundry prices

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Onboard+Extras&faqId=287&faqSubjectId=337&faqType=faq

Check your documents when they arrive. In the past they have stated what items are prohibited from being brought on board. Irons were on that list. If steamers are not on that list then I would think that they are okay. As stated, it does not cost much for pressing of clothes and they do a great job.

we leave this friday on the explorer...i just reread my booklet and there is nothing in it about steamers.....quoted straight from my book, "WHAT NOT TO PACK....For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard: Electirical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as Fireworks". there is nothing about steamers....

I've never tried the anti-wrinkle spray but many say it works great.

I don't think the costs for having your clothes pressed are far out of line.

But of course you can smuggle the steamer on board and may just get away with it. Tuck it in next to your booze,iron and microwave. They'll never notice it.;)

Now,that's funny!!!!

we leave this friday on the explorer...i just reread my booklet and there is nothing in it about steamers.....quoted straight from my book, "WHAT NOT TO PACK....For the safety of our guests, the following items are not allowed onboard: Electirical Transformers, Coffee Makers, Candles, Irons, Illegal Drugs, Flammable Liquids and Explosives, such as Fireworks". there is nothing about steamers....

What sort of thing is considered an electrical transformer? Thanks :)

Technically I would think the power adapter (aka the brick) for a laptop could be considered a electrical transformer since it is converting AC energy to DC. But that obviously is not what they meant, so your guess is as good as mine.

Back to the OP original question and followup concern. I haven't heard any cruiseline banning steamers, not that they couldn't. As others have mentioned, bring it. If this is a new policy then they may confisicate it but you will be able to get back at the end of the cruise.

My thoughts exactly. If they took it I'd be like...show me in my documents where it says this is a banned item?

No offence to the OP but I hope this isn't a thread just trying to stir things up. If it's not then RCI, what the heck are you doing? Get some staff that know what they are talking about or officially change your rules on the website to reflect your changes. Is that really too much to ask for?:eek:

I'm taking my steamer in 2 weeks. I'll let you know how it and the liquids (soda/juice/water) get through security.

We sailed in November before this new rule came about. We had a ton of luggage with 3 teen daughters and my suitcase. the one with the steamer, was the only one opened at embarkation. We knew because we put plastic electrical ties on each to "lock" them up. We didn't even use the steamer. I think we did a darn good job with packing. The rayon and silks were a bit wrinkled, but much of that fell out as the week wore on. Frankly, I'm more worried about the curling and flat irons my girls and I use. But, they can't take those away!

Right, you've convinced me. I'm going to take my steamer and see if I can get it past RCL's 'security'. If they try and seize it I will quote from my sailing docs and see what they have to say to that. If it were a breach of security somehow or threatened the lives of others on board, I would not take it but it in no way does that. I really think it's another ruse of RCL's to get as much money off us as they possibly can.

I have read on the boards that steamers have been taken away from passengers and then returned to them at the end of the cruise....I could handle that if the worst came to the worst.

Thanks again everyone.:D

Right, you've convinced me. I'm going to take my steamer and see if I can get it past RCL's 'security'. If they try and seize it I will quote from my sailing docs and see what they have to say to that. If it were a breach of security somehow or threatened the lives of others on board, I would not take it but it in no way does that. I really think it's another ruse of RCL's to get as much money off us as they possibly can.

I have read on the boards that steamers have been taken away from passengers and then returned to them at the end of the cruise....I could handle that if the worst came to the worst.

Thanks again everyone.:D

You know it's possible they've taken steamers that LOOK like irons. Mine looks like an iron and actually has an attachment to be an iron (but we just don't bring it). I wonder if that is why some have been taken. Have a great cruise!

You know it's possible they've taken steamers that LOOK like irons. Mine looks like an iron and actually has an attachment to be an iron (but we just don't bring it). I wonder if that is why some have been taken. Have a great cruise!

ours look like a long massaging tool.....not an iron looking.....maybe thats why nothing was ever said to us...

Archived