Portable steamers no longer allowed on RCL

What sort of thing is considered an electrical transformer? Thanks :)

Those adapters which transform Voltage and Hertz.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062422&cp=&sr=1&origkw=travel+transformer&kw=travel+transformer&parentPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2285470&cp=&sr=1&origkw=travel+transformer&kw=travel+transformer&parentPage=search

These two are, of course, for US travelers. But you can buy the same in reverse.

next thing you know they are going to say no hair dryers, no hair straighteners....geeze...if this is for real, it will result in more jeans in the dining room i bet!

I believe Jeans are on the list of items to be banned as of September 1st this year.:D

Yeah, that along with the chair hogs!

Funny the chair hogs come up...I read about an All Inclusive Resort in Cozumel and the big 2 complaints about each of the 3 I reaearched last night, terrible food and chair hogs. Imagine that, they exist on land as well. Folks on the board reviewing the resorts were not nearly as nice as we are in just calling them chair hogs.

We're users of RCI's on-board laundry for the press-only service. But a lot of what we take has been steamed just fine. If all this is true in practice, it's going to cramp our style. Guess we'll take ours next time and see what happens.

I was told on the phone beforehand that if security sees it they could take it away. I took my chances because Downy Wrinkle release never works very well for me... I took my steamer on my March Navigator cruise.... didn't try to hide it in my suitcase... left it out n the open in my cabin... no one said a word.

I have a steamer, but I don't take it with me on a cruise. I pack my outfits on hangers and then put them in dry cleaner bags. They aren't wrinkled at all and it also makes for easy unpacking.

When I wear the clothes I put them into the fold up hamper I bought at a flea market for $1. When it comes time to repack, I just take the items still hung up and put them in one suitcase and the dirty clothes in the other. Soooo easy.

One thing I wanted to mention is that I do send my husband's suit to the cleaner onboard ship after the 2nd formal night because it's cheaper to have it cleaned and pressed onboard than it is at our local cleaner.

I have also sent a few items to be pressed only and the charge is really reasonable. I don't ever iron at home. I send all my clothes to the cleaners for pressing and it seems to me it's cheaper on the ship for them than it is at home.

Enjoy your cruise.

I sent my request to RCL for information on the steamers by email and that's why I posted the actual reply I got back.

My steamer looks like an iron and so perhaps mine will be taken away when I board.

Not having cruised before, I don't know how RCL detects what you are taking on board...can anyone enlighten me please?

I have no objection to using the ship's laundry but I don't like to waste money if I can help it..... The more thrifty I am, the more cruises I can take.

Our cruise is just a couple of weeks away now and I'm getting very excited...even if taking a steamer is an issue...lol

Thanks again eveyrone for you imput

... But if electrical transformers are not allowed, how are those traveling to Europe from US (or vice versa) to comply? I know I won't need a transformer for my (US) electrical appliances on the ship. But for the before/after stay in Europe, I will certainly need them. Right?

We have taken our steamer on both of our cruises as well as a hair dryer (a cool breeze would dry your hair faster than their hair dryers) and we have not had any questions about it. there are no exposed metal or heat surface on the travel steamer we bought from walmart. And it works quite effectively. Now there are some models that are a bigger unit with a wand that they recently came out with, I personally would not concider wanting to carry it for the weight alone. As far as electric transformers, any cell phone or hair dryer (even the ones on board) and some camera battery chargers have a transformer on it so who knows what they are refering to. I would not worry about it. It is all about being careful about its use.

My steamer looks like an iron and so perhaps mine will be taken away when I board.

Not having cruised before, I don't know how RCL detects what you are taking on board...can anyone enlighten me please?

They use about the same x-ray machines as the airlines use. If your steamer looks like a Iron than they will keep it. RCCL will not allow any Iron or Iron type of steamer. We bought a steamer from walmart (in their luggage section for about $12.00) it is plastic fold up style in a cloth storage bag. takes about 1 to 2 cups of water and has a clothes brush that clips on the end. They do work fine.

Archived