Advice on sun hats

July in Bahamas is hot and humid.:eek: Does anyone have any advice on what type of shade hats for ladies is the best? I really like the super wide brim hats that are out, but don't know which material is best for that kind of weather. There are so many websites that carry hats, I'm confused as to which to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

I'm not a good person to give fashion advice but I'm real good at function. I always pack a cheap hat because it gets so abused during our travels. If it's collapsible and can go in the suitcase so I don't have to carry it I'm very happy. I stick with light colors because dark attracts the heat. I avoid visors without full head coverage because my scalp will burn. I also try to find a lightweight fabric or straw weave to keep the air circulating to stay cooler. I may not look very fashionable but by golly I'm as comfortable as I can be!

Cheryl

I always wear an old Coast Guard cap my son gave to me years ago. The top of my head tends to burn (thin, fine hair) and this keeps the sun off the top of my head not to mention the big brim that keeps the sun off my face. May not be very "fancy" or pretty but it works . . . :p

July in Bahamas is hot and humid.:eek: Does anyone have any advice on what type of shade hats for ladies is the best? I really like the super wide brim hats that are out, but don't know which material is best for that kind of weather. There are so many websites that carry hats, I'm confused as to which to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Say it isn't so...... I am going to be soooooooo out of style .. but those cover best and look best as far as I am concerned!!

They make so many hats that can be crushed in order to fit in your suitcase/beachbag. Look at Target type stores...at my age I no longer care about fashion just function. I found a cute one at Macy's last year on sale. Now, cute to me would be horrid to my 20 something daughter:rolleyes:

Jan

If you are looking purely for function...check out Tilley hats.

Darn it all . . . everytime I see a post from you . . . I just can't stop looking at that darling little Westie of yours!!!!!! Breaks my heart that my Westie, Tiki, is going to turn ten on May 1st and I'll be somewhere in the middle of the Carribbean so I won't be able to spend her birthday with her. :(

My brother has already had a bout with several spots on his face and head with suspicious cells.

His dermatologist recommended tilley hats and though they are pricey, they are well, well worth it for the protection they offer!!

At all costs, be sure your face and neck are covered--we all get so much more exposure to the harmful rays of the sun on the hands, face and neck than we realize--we need to be careful!!

Darn it all . . . everytime I see a post from you . . . I just can't stop looking at that darling little Westie of yours!!!!!! Breaks my heart that my Westie, Tiki, is going to turn ten on May 1st and I'll be somewhere in the middle of the Carribbean so I won't be able to spend her birthday with her. :(

It is hard to miss their birthdays...with Buddy coming up on 13 years old I have certainly missed a few while travelling......but I always made arrangement with whoever was caring for him to make sure he had a great meal and some birthday cake (vanilla, or course)!

My brother has already had a bout with several spots on his face and head with suspicious cells.

His dermatologist recommended tilley hats and though they are pricey, they are well, well worth it for the protection they offer!!

At all costs, be sure your face and neck are covered--we all get so much more exposure to the harmful rays of the sun on the hands, face and neck than we realize--we need to be careful!!

Yes they are pricey, but if you purchase an unbleached hat (models listed on their website) they will be replaced forever if they ever wear out, mildew or shrink. Best sun protection going....yes my husband who has more skin cancer than I can count does indeed wear one now and it seems to be a really great hat.

Yes they are pricey, but if you purchase an unbleached hat (models listed on their website) they will be replaced forever if they ever wear out, mildew or shrink. Best sun protection going....yes my husband who has more skin cancer than I can count does indeed wear one now and it seems to be a really great hat.

Where does one find these tilley hats?

For my husband's birthday last week, he got this hat (but in beige, which they don't have right now):

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/,56521_Bora-Bora-Booney-Hat-By-Columbia-for-Men-and-Women-.html

For my birthday (tomorrow:p ) I asked for this hat:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/230,59803_Outdoor-Research-Sun-Hat-Oasis-Sombrero-50+-UPF-Solarshield-For-Women.html

If I don't get it as a gift, I'll have to buy it for myself:D I love Outdoor Research hats--I've had a goretex sombrero from them since the mid-80s--cannot kill that thing!

Archived