Age Range

Mickman

Hi All,

My wife and I are looking to spend my 40th Birthday on an Azamara 14 Night Southeast Asia Cruise from Hong Kong, China to Singapore in hopefully January 2010 (schedules haven't been released yet). We are both experienced cruisers having been on about 17 cruises (predominantly RCCL since were Diamond Club).

Our last three cruises have included Australia/New Zealand, a Transatlantic from Barcelona back to the States, and a Panama Canal cruise on RCCL. We enjoyed them all, but now want to experience the next level (and a smaller ship - the way I remember them in the 1980's when RCCL had the Song of Norway and Sun Viking), better food and service.

We thought Azamara would be the way to do this (also our points transfer from RCCL), but I wanted to get feedback about the age range of passengers. The last 3 cruises on RCCL that I mentioned we were able to seek out the very few couples that were our age. On Azamara, do you believe this will even be possible - meaning that from experience - do you think there will be any? Will we most likely be the youngest on board? If so, can you tell us if Oceania Cruises are any different?

It's not that we don't like hanging out with people our parents age, but it's always nice to have dinner and go on tours with others that are at the same stage of life (i.e. kids ages 5 and 8).

Hope you have some experience and suggestions.

Thanks,

M

Having cruised on both Azamara and Oceania, I can tell you that you'd better look elsewhere for a cruise line with a substantial group of passengers in their 40s. Most people in their 40s don't seem to be able to get away for 14 days at a time. Both Azamara and Oceania attract people in their 50s, 60s and older. Sure there are some younger couples. On our last Azamara cruise ( we got back a week ago), there were two couples in their 20s in our cruisecritic group. I asked both whether it seemed strange to be traveling with their parents' and grandparents' comtemporaries. They said that they were more interested in the ports and the ship and didn't want the party atmosphere of a Carnival cruise. Perhaps Sonya or Ann will read this and comment.

I understand that Sea Dream Yacht Club draws a somewhat younger demographic. Of course, it will be a great deal more expensive than either Oceania or Azamara. And I don't know if they go to the Far east.

tgg,

Unfortunately, that was my assumption as well. :( I just checked out the Sea Dream Yacht Club you mentioned. Looks wonderful, just pricey. Hopefully some other cruise critics will have more feedback and additional suggestions.

C'mon you Generation X'rs. You need to start cruising and seeing the world. It is fabulous.

M

As a general rule, longer upscale cruises to exotic locales attract older passengers, whatever the cruise line--Azamara, Oceania, Regent, Seabourn, etc. However, there will still be a wide range of ages (varies with itinerary) and most will be avid, interesting travelers, not "cruisers."

Don't know about a cruise to Asia but as my DH doesn't like holidays and I DO, I travel with my children. This Sept my son 29 will accompany me on a 14 day med cruise with Az. So maybe there will be other younger companions as well. Pat

Hi,

I noticed you have Children ages 5/8, There is no kids program on Az,

and I think yes you probably would be at the youngest range of the age spectrum.

It is a great cruise experience though.

:( Most cruisers book Azmara for its smoke free and child free atmosphere.

It does not claim to be child friendly by not having any activities for children. We could not picture taking our grand children, even though they are perfectly behaved, on a trip which is clearly catering to Adultsonly.:(

So as not to confuse anyone, my wife and I have no intent of taking our 5 and 8 year old. There are many other cruises we would take that cater to young children.

My intent of bringing them up was only to show the stage of life we are in. I will be turning 40 and my wife is in her late 30's.

It sounds like Az certainly caters to the late 50's on up from what I am gathering. It is too bad there doesn't seem to be a market for the 30's and 40's.

For us, the experience are the destinations and the ability to see the world by unpacking once and arriving magically at the next port of call.

Me (age 45) and DD (age 18) will be on the Azamara Quest May 24th. We certainly dont match the demographic that seems to be on these cruises. That is kind of what we like it about it. No goofy contests, no party atmosphere, quiet, interesting ports. It's the extended length that prohibits "younger" clients for these sailings (as well as the $$$). It's cheaper and more accessible for 30's and 40's with kids to go on the Carnivals for 7 days. If they are both working parents, who would watch the kids for 14+ days??? Its a really limted group who have the time and money.

Dear Mickman,

If you love the Asia itinerary and a more upscale less mass market cruise line with terrific food (based on what I have read), I would not hesitate to book the cruise. If you will be disappointed if there is not a large group of forty something folks onboard, then maybe you should look at another cruise line. Although, as others have stated, the length of the cruise and the itinerary does limit many 30 and 40 year olds from booking due to family and work commitments ..... so no matter what line you choose the demographics will most likely be similar. (those that are older and have the time and money to cruise for longer periods of time).

We are a family of six ranging in age from 12 to 78 and will be on the Quest sailing on June 21st from Athens to Greece. I am 46, my husband is 47 and our children are 12 and 14. My parents will be traveling with us, as well, and they are 77 and 78. We have cruised Europe three times on the M class ships. (all six of us). While we love Celebrity's M class ships and each and every cruise was terrific, we were looking for something a little different this time around. We are looking forward to the wonderful food, small ship experience, and country club casual attire with no set dining times. Our children are well traveled and did not go to any of the organized kids activities on our last three cruises. They are perfectly content exploring the ports with us, coming back to the ship and enjoying a nice dinner with us and their grandparents and then heading to the stateroom for a little down time. We only have one sea day on a 14 day cruise, so we are looking at the Quest as a floating hotel, rather than a ship offering no stop entertainment.

The Azamara website specifically says that guests of all ages are welcome, although there are no organized kids/teen programs. The shore excursions even have pricing for adults and children. So while the demographics are clearly older, it is not because Azamara does not welcome guests of all ages. It has more to do with the length of the cruises and the more exotic itineraries. I don't believe that it is because Azamara only caters to those 50 and over, rather it is because that is the age group that has the time and money to cruise on these longer cruises. We found this to be true on our European sailings (12 to 14 day itineraries) even on the "M' class ships, although all of the "M" class ships have kids/teen programs. The vast majority of fellow cruisers were in the 50 and over category (which is only a few years away for my husband and myself!!!)

Obviously, the 7 day Caribbean cruises draw more families and younger crowds than the European, Asian, Panama Canal, etc. cruises.

Go and have a great time!!!

Nancy

It only takes two or three couples in your age bracket to make the trip complete and with a ship this size it would not be hard to find them if they exist. The main thing is that you are on this cruise because of the ports and hopefully because of the ship and what it offers and meeting some couples around your age would be an added bonus. A few years ago we were on the Caronia (a former Cunard ship) and my wife and I were in our mid fifties (baby boomers). The ship was a bit smaller than the Quest or Journey with about the same number of passengers but we choose it because of the unique itinerary and the ship itself was magnificent. We were able to find 3 other couples on the ship our age and believe it or not the remainder of the passengers were from 70 to over 90 with most near 80. We still had a great time and I believe so will you. Go for it!

Irwin (aka Rodan)

• 1 month later...

I think on any cruiseline it will be a challenge finding many 30- or 40-somethings on a 2 week cruise.

My wife and I are early/mid 30s and have found the longer the cruise, the further away from the Caribbean, and the more luxurious the cruiseline, then the older the age group will be. So if you take a 14-day, east Asian, luxury cruise and then you'll definitely be in the minority!

We enjoy people of all ages, so we always have a great time. Go for it!

Archived