Weather in Fiji - June

TheDee

My husband and I have been on the TP, ( or TA), for 3 wonderful cruises all in the month of July. Each year the weather was wonderful. With Princess leaving Tahiti, we are now considering the Princess cruise that leaves Sydney and stops on various Fijian islands. The cruise leaves Sydney on June 22, 2009. We are "beach people"! We would like to enjoy the islands and the scenery, but we also would enjoy a few days visiting wonderful beaches. Is the Fijian weather comparable to the weather that we would find in Polynesia in late June or early July? I've been reading various posts about the weather in Sydney, but I haven't found much about Fiji. Can anyone help?

Thanks. Linda

My husband and I have been on the TP, ( or TA), for 3 wonderful cruises all in the month of July. Each year the weather was wonderful. With Princess leaving Tahiti, we are now considering the Princess cruise that leaves Sydney and stops on various Fijian islands. The cruise leaves Sydney on June 22, 2009. We are "beach people"! We would like to enjoy the islands and the scenery, but we also would enjoy a few days visiting wonderful beaches. Is the Fijian weather comparable to the weather that we would find in Polynesia in late June or early July? I've been reading various posts about the weather in Sydney, but I haven't found much about Fiji. Can anyone help?

Thanks. Linda

Hi Linda:)

We are on the Pacific Dawn (ex Regal Princess) departing June 3rd from Sydney to Tahiti 28 days round trip. I havent been to the South Pacific in June before, but it's their dry season, less chance of rain and no cyclonic activity so calmer seas. Temps averaging around 26 - 28 It's Fiji's high season for hotels/airfares etc so must be a good time to travel:) will let you know on our return!!

p.s is it the Dawn Princess 13 nights 22nd June you are looking at? we are on the Dawn Princess 9th January. First Princess cruise!!

Chez

xx

Chez,

Yes, we are looking at the June 22,2009 sailing of the Dawn Princess from Sydney. Will Sydney's temperatures be really cool at this time of the year - sweaters or jackets? In the 60''s or 70's? I know that weather can be unpreditable - we're from New England where it can snow in May or be in the high 80's! As for the weather in Fiji - we would like to see the beautiful islands, but we would also love to enjoy a wonderful beach.

I envy you your trip this June - I really would love to be returning to the Society Islands.

Thanks,

Linda

Chez,

Yes, we are looking at the June 22,2009 sailing of the Dawn Princess from Sydney. Will Sydney's temperatures be really cool at this time of the year - sweaters or jackets? In the 60''s or 70's? I know that weather can be unpreditable - we're from New England where it can snow in May or be in the high 80's! As for the weather in Fiji - we would like to see the beautiful islands, but we would also love to enjoy a wonderful beach.

I envy you your trip this June - I really would love to be returning to the Society Islands.

Thanks,

Linda

Linda,

June is the start of our winter temps average 9 - 17C, so yes a jacket and long pants if you are spending a few days in Sydney prior and for the first couple of sea days, till you get to Noumea. The South Pacific Islands are warm year round with their rainy season November - March.

I have been to all the ports you will visit for the cruise a few times, so if you need any info just post:)

The cruise you are going to visits Lifou and Dravuni Islands which have beautiful beaches.

Chez

xx

Chez,

Thank you so much for the info. Cool temps are fine in Sydney - great for tourist stuff - I just wanted to be sure of the weather in Fiji becasue the ships excursions do not seem to have a lot of beach related activities. I've done some weather research on the net, but there is nothing like hearing from a "real" person.

I will probably ask you more questions as I do more research!

Again, thanks...

Linda :-)

Chez,

Thank you so much for the info. Cool temps are fine in Sydney - great for tourist stuff - I just wanted to be sure of the weather in Fiji becasue the ships excursions do not seem to have a lot of beach related activities. I've done some weather research on the net, but there is nothing like hearing from a "real" person.

I will probably ask you more questions as I do more research!

Again, thanks...

Linda :-)

Linda, you won't get beaches in Suva and Lautoka, or Noumea really, they are large cities.

Lautoka is the jumping point for the Yasawa Islands, dont be surprised if this port changes to Port Denaru, ours just did and so have a few other cruises, a better port, it's a small island joined by a causeway to the mainland and has all the 5 star resorts there, the marina has cruises to the Mamanuca Islands. The only beaches you will see, unless you do a tour are at Lifou and Dravuni Islands.

A few tours offered on Lifou, but we just took a walk to the church at the top of the hill, on the left, then snorkelled at the back beach, called Januc Bay, lovely snorkelling there. When we are next on Lifou in January we are going to do the Cliffs of Jonkin tour, I have heard its very good.

Dravuni, I havent been to since the 80's but dont think it has changed much, no tours, just palm trees, lovely clear water and white sand:)

We will be at Noumea, Suva and Dravuni on this next Tahiti cruise, and Lifou, Noumea and Vila in January, so will keep you posted on what we do.

Heres a link to our blog for our Tahiti cruise, http://www.getjealous.com/ducknchook I am travelling with a girlfriend this time, leaving hubby at home:p

Chez

xx

Archived