cruise virgin

Thedabraddock

My fiance and I are planning our first cruise for our honeymoon this summer on the Notterdam 21 day Mediterranean Mosaic and, as it's our first cruise, we have many questions..if someone would be kind enough to help us out

-we'll be flying in to FCO in italy and we'd like to save a little by taking the train to civitavecchia. it seems like, looking at trenitalia, that this is a pretty good option. we land at 10:10 and our cruise leaves at 5 (they recomment we be there by 3). will we have enough time?

-should we do the same when we stop in rome mid-trip (we have from 7 am to 8 pm)

-i've heard the transfer to olympus is the only way to see things..is this true?

-we also have a stop in tunis and HAL offers a transfer but it seems like we dock in the city so this seems useless..any advice?

-we're doing one excursion and we understand we have to pay for that as soon as possible and not with the final payment. how far in advance should we do this? is it likely they'll fill up?

-for the dining. we took the option of having a table for 2 at the 8 pm serving. How does the dinner work? Is there a table reserved every evening for you? What do we need to pay extra for thats not included in the price of the cruise?

So, many questions but if anyone has ever been on this cruise or something similar and has some answers or advice, please let me know! Thanks!

Welcome to the world of cruising and the Holland America board.

I do not suggest taking the train to the ship. With luggage it will be a real hassle. Plus it's quite a ways from the train station in Civitavecchia to the dock. Way too far to be schlepping luggage, IMO. We took the train into Rome one time on the second day of our visit there. It's a good way to get there, but still involves quite a walk to and from the station.

A 20-day itinerary is really quite a way to become immersed in cruising! The ports you will visit are full of history and character. I would suggest you stick with HAL shore excursions for those places you want to take a tour. Later on, with more cruising experience, you could strike out on your own. It will just be easier this time to let Holland America do all the work for you. Some excursions are limited in how many people can be accommodated, and they do fill up. So I'd decide now and book them online to be sure.

If you have traditional fixed seating then you will have the same table and servers each evening.

You will be experiencing much that's new. But just go with the flow. Relax and enjoy the ride. The Noordam is a great ship, and her crew will take good care of you.

I have been on a Noordam cruise stopping at some of the same ports. I did a tour for Tunis-Sidi Bou Said. I do not remember an easy walk to the city. There was a causeway from La Goulette, then we drove by the ruins of Carthage to a village with white homes on the sea, then into Tunis. Did not see many women walking around at all (mostly men having coffee and smoking). We were cautioned to wear clothing covering our legs and arms as the men there think women should be covered! btw: they sure ogled at a college-bound girl who was on our tour!:D

Dinner in the dining room is fabulous! You will have the same table every night, same servers. You get a menu with several options for each course, and you can have whatever you want. It's all included, dessert and coffee too. You WILL pay extra for any alcohol you order with dinner, but that's all that's extra in the dining room -- actually, soda may be extra too ... don't drink that at dinner, so I don't know.

I want to congratulate you on your upcoming wedding.

I know you are getting married this summer. You may want to consider getting to Rome a day early before the ship sails.

I would allow the company to handle as many things as possible.

Have a wonder trip.

Hi,

What a great cruise and honeymoon!

I have not yet been to the port in Civitavecchia, but I have been on the trains in Italy, and it will be no fun with luggage! Plus, they seem to have these "planned" yet "random" train strikes, and you don't want to be caught without a way to the port, especially since you don't have a whole lot of extra time. I'd do the ship's transportation or some pre-arranged airport shuttle on this one.

As for excursions, we typically do our own, even when we were novice cruisers. There are so many companies out there that do great tours for less than you would pay doing the ship's excursions. For Olympia, for example, I have found a couple companies to give us a great tour. Think about, however, how far away the main sights are from the port and your transportation options to and from. You don't want to miss the ship, and unless you are on a ship's excursion, they will not wait for you. On our upcoming cruise, we are actually doing the ship's transportation to and from Rome on our port day -- it is more expensive than getting the train or arranging for a private taxi, but given the distance, about 1.5 hours, we thought this might be a place to play it safe.

As other posters have said, yes, you get the same table every night with the same waiter. Even though it's your honeymoon, you might want to consider asking for a table of six -- it will give you a chance to meet some of your ship mates. There are always the specialty restaurants if you want to eat alone, but those do cost extra.

Cruising can be a busy vacation, especially going to so many different places, so make sure to take some time to just relax.

Have a great time!

It is possible to do a train to Civita, but ask at the info booth at the airport, I beleive we took a bus to the subway station, and then took a train for 2 or 3 stops and had to change to anothe train into Civita, but then you need to walk to the port , it's a 15 minute walk, taxis are available, once at the port there will be a shuttle to the ship, but as you can see, it is a lot of schlepping!Take the HAL bus to the ship, that's my advise.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding from one who has been blessed with forty years of exciting marriage.

I strongly suggest you use HAL to get from airport to ship in Rome. The port is a great distance from the city, the area is a real pain to get in/out of and unless you speak Italian as I do, you will find yourself emersed in Mars.

While you are coming on the day of cruise which is not adviseable if avoidable, I am presuming you have no choice - this adds to the very reason to rely on HAL for getting to the ship. Italy is renowned for being on strike ( sciopero) .. very bad when you want to get somewhere as you can not period. All the more reason to use HAL.

Regarding dining, if you want to just be the two of you then the table for two is great. As mentioned already in the thread, you will have the same waitpersons .. but you will not meet anyone. If that is ok, since you are on honeymoon - so be it .. but if you want to meet others, then table for six or eight would provide this opportunity. Your call.

You will enjoy the cruise as the crews of HAL will take great care of both of you.

have a wonderful time!

harry

Welcome to the HAL board!

We have not taken this cruise, but I would trust the people who have told you to take a HAL shuttle from the airport to the port. They are seasoned HAL cruisers and know the ropes! Sounds to me like you are cutting it close, so that's definitely your best option.

Have a wonderful honeymoon cruise! :D

Archived