Booking "safety" ?

NKG6002

There are many sites to book cruises...Travcelocity, Orbitz, "generic" etc. I hesitate booking other than thru the cruise company or local TA. How reliable are these companies to book cruises ? Thanks in advance ;)

Biggest thing I've noticed is a lotta the online ones have a cancellation penalty (separate from any penalty from the cruise line). I do use an online TA that a friend has used for decades - no penalties - and she gives onboard credits to loyal customers. Basically I can get same price direct from RCCL website, but she takes care of the arrangements and gave me a perk of OBC even on my first cruise because my reservation was tied in with a Diamond member - this time she'll give me something because I've booked with her again.

There are many sites to book cruises...Travcelocity, Orbitz, "generic" etc. I hesitate booking other than thru the cruise company or local TA. How reliable are these companies to book cruises ? Thanks in advance ;)

I stick with cruise only web sites. I always find out up front if there is a cancellation fee and if so how much. The generic travel web sites I avoid.

It depends on the cruise line you want to book if you are going to save money booking with a TA. TA's cannot discount RCI and Celebrity. Sometime there are a couple of perks thrown in but you are not going to save a lot of money. If you book Hal or Princess you can save quite a bit if you search the on line TA's.

I always use "other" online TA's. All I do after I book is followup on the cruise line's website to make sure my booking shows up. I did use a PVP for my first cruise when I was clueless but now nothing but online TA's.

I am a pretty low maintenace customer so if you need more from a travel agent than just booking, you might stay with a local TA. I think higher maintenace customers that do need the hand holding that only a PVP or local TA can provide.

I always use "other" online TA's. All I do after I book is followup on the cruise line's website to make sure my booking shows up. I did use a PVP for my first cruise when I was clueless but now nothing but online TA's.

I am a pretty low maintenace customer so if you need more from a travel agent than just booking, you might stay with a local TA. I think higher maintenace customers that do need the hand holding that only a PVP or local TA can provide.

Yeah, I'll go along with that. I've used Exped**, but usually a "no frills" agency that has the lowest prices.

I stick with cruise only web sites. I always find out up front if there is a cancellation fee and if so how much. The generic travel web sites I avoid.

It depends on the cruise line you want to book if you are going to save money booking with a TA. TA's cannot discount RCI and Celebrity.

They can't discount RCI and Celebrity but they do things like pay your tips for you or give you a free excursion, or give you onboard credit- sometimes just one of these things-sometimes a combo.

I usually check the major travel websites for cruise prices but have never booked a cruise through one. I call my travel agent and he gets me a better deal. The one time he couldn't, I ended up booking with the cruise line directly.

Archived