Attitude of crew on Royal Caribbean vs. Carnival?

illinoismom

I am looking at Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean cruise this fall. I would love some opinions here. I have cruised only once before, and that was a Royal Caribbean cruise. I've read lots of your comments on these two lines, so I guess my question is about the service and attitude of the crews. I do not expect to be waited on hand and foot, but I don't want to deal with people who only grudgingly take your soda card, etc. I'm wondering if service varies by ship, by line or just by good days vs. bad days? I am looking at Southern or Western Caribbean out of Florida, and am working with a travel agent, but would really appreciate some opinions on this. Thanks!

We have cruised both and without a doubt we have noticed a difference in the staff. The Carnival staff seem more friendly over all and willing to help or just talk to you. The staff on Royal Caribbean although polite are more stand offish. I can say that the three times I have had to go to the front desks or deal with shore excursion people on board Royal Caribbean they were quite curt. Kind of like what do you want I have other things to do. I never felt that way with Carnival staff and I have been on quite a few of them. Dont get me wrong, RCCL staff are not rude, I have just found Carnival staff more friendly.

And we've always found the RCI crew to be the friendliest. It's really a matter of opinion. The last ship we were on (Radiance) had the nicest crew we've ever had--from Captain down. Couldn't have asked for better. Found that the staff was there ALL the time--didn't ignore you when an activity was over--(we found that years ago on the Dawn Princess)---Highly recommend RC.

I found Carnival to have a higher "bother" factor. The bar staff tends to bother you a lot more and are always asking if you want a drink.

I think the size of the ship has a lot to do with it too. The staff on the smaller RCI ships are much friendlier than on the mega ships. Overall I found a better atmosphere on Royal Caribbean.

I've only sailed Carnival and have had great service most times and sometimes someone is having a bad day.

I would imagine that people working a cruise ship are just like you and I.

Most days we're great people who can deal with anything. Then on other days, I'd rasther not be bothered.

I know someone will come on here and say "Buy they are in the customer service business, therefore, they are not allowed bad days. Well. I agree. Let's be real. Stuck on a ship for 6 -to 8 months working your tail off could bring on a bad day or two.

So, bottom line, I think it depends on the days, the mood of the workers, the moral of the team, etc,etc.

I've observed bar staff on both lines acting obnoxiously towards soda card holders... there's really no difference in that regard.

I think overall, however, the crew of both lines are extremely friendly... I'd give the slight edge to Royal Caribbean though as I just feel that they're more genuine in their interaction with guests, not just acting very nice to get you to buy more drinks. I've always gotten the feeling on Carnival that they're just going through the motions more so than on Royal, where I feel that they're more willing to go the extra mile.

Everyone will have a different opinion... someone who had a single bad experience on RCI will say Carnival's better, and visa versa. I'm just judging on the basis of personal extended interactions I've had with crew on both. Either way, you'll have a great time!

I can't compare the 2, but the crew on all of our Carnival criuses have been wonderful, very friendly and have always gone out of their way for us. But we treat them as people, not as servants as I have seen some passengers do. I wouldn't react very well to that kind of attitude either and they do, they have to. If you treat your 'regular crew (steward, waiter, regular bartenders, etc.) with respect they will go over the top for you.

I've sailed both and would say RCI was friendlier. I was on the Fascination, stayed in a suite, and even after numerous phone calls, still made my own bed, got my own towels and cleaned the bathroom. I think my room steward was on a personal vacation himself. The dining room staff was slow and our food was often cold by the time it got to us. We often left dinner before dessert because 2 1/2 hours for dinner got to be a bit much.

I sailed Carnival again on the Ecstasy and got better service from the room steward, even though we never met/saw him/her the whole cruise, but we were treated very indifferently by other staff.

I've sailed on RCI's Rhapsody twice, once for my honeymoon and again for my 1 year anniversary, and our waiter from our honeymoon actually recognized us! We were treated like family each time.

This trip on RCI's Voyager was absolutely the best! I was treated like a queen. The guest services people went out of their way to help me with my luggage tags and coordinating that whole fiasco. My waiter was unbelievably fantastic. Our food was so hot we had to wait for it to cool and we always had our drinks within a minute or two of sitting down. Our room steward kept everything perfect and made sure we had everything we needed. She even had our shirts cleaned for work the day before we debarked.

Personally, I have no need to meet my cabin steward and haven't on a couple of cruises. As long as the cabin was cleaned, the bed made and I had fresh towels I was happy.

I don't recall there being any huge difference on my one RCI cruise. Actually, our cabin steward was pretty poor. I got the feeling she was hanging around hoping I'd tip her upfront, which I don't do. The rest of the crew was great (except there were several male crew members who were hitting on my then 16-year-old DD while I was present! I wasn't happy).

The staff on Miracle was fantastic. They were all friendly yet you never felt that they were just sucking up because they were told they were supposed to or to get a larger tip.

People sailing on the same cruise may have very different experiences when it comes to the crew and staff.

These types of questions are just way too broad for any of the answers to give you any sort of useful information. There are thousands of passengers every week with hundreds of crew/staff dealing with those thousands of passengers. It's not possible to get any sort of definitive answer to this type of question.

We have sailed on both lines and we've found that the attitude of the crew to be the same. We were treated like royalty from start to finish no matter what line we've sailed.

You'll be happy no matter what line you choose.

Happy Sailing!!! :D

Thanks so much for the responses. I loved the RCI cruise I was on, but the Carnival prices and "past cruiser" discounts are so much better, I am really thinking of trying them. In reading the posts, it seems people either love them or hate them with not so much in between - guess I'm just trying to figure it out... Thanks!

Thanks so much for the responses. I loved the RCI cruise I was on, but the Carnival prices and "past cruiser" discounts are so much better, I am really thinking of trying them. In reading the posts, it seems people either love them or hate them with not so much in between - guess I'm just trying to figure it out... Thanks!

I'll give you a 'hint', most people that 'hate' them have never even cruised on them and are going by what they heard about them 15 years ago. Things have changed drastically.

It isn't a matter of Carnival vs. Royal Caribbean. It's a matter of what specific ship you are on and what specific crew-members you deal with. Personally, I think the crew are excellent on both lines. If you have a bad experience, it is not indicative of the whole cruise line. Some people tend to forget that.

If you book Carnival, it is most likely you will receive the same great service you had on RC.

I have been on 2 RCI cruises and loved the service on both. They were friendly, attentive and overall they seemed genuine.

I too have been looking at Carnival cruises for my husband and me. I have been hesitant to book because I hear it is just a "party" cruise line and the service isn't great but I think from reading theses posts I am willing to give them a chance. I gave Princess chance (not happy), going on Celebrity next for the first time.

If one believes that service is what is being offered and if one wishes to keep a job, then the service on either should be good.

One ship from either line may have unhappy crew members due to onboard issues, but as to which line would be better is really difficult to try and sort out because they are all trying to win your dollars.

Maybe a different poll would be which cruise line has the best passengers!:D

Been on both lines, and frankly, never had a bad cruise. A cruise ship is a floating city, and you will have contact with people there just like at home and/or work, an occassional bad happenstance:eek: , but mostly excellent service. Just pick a ship and itineary, relax, and enjoy your cruise. Haven't found the "perfect" cruise line yet, but then, who/what is perfect.:cool:

We travel CCL and have never had a bad cruise. I am also a firm believer in treating the staff with respect and talking to them, getting to know your room steward a little bit, etc. I also think your cruise is what you make it. You CAN have a fabulous time.

I do believe it is the "luck of the draw" and who the crew is when you are crusing.

I know the last time I crusied RCI I had a GREAT waiter at dinner and a wonderful stewardess for my room.

The waiters in the dinningroom at lunch were the pits. I asked for a simple lettuce and tomato salad because the salads offered at lunch had either chicken , shrimp, or some other meat in them. As I do not eat chicken or seafood I did not want that. The waiter flat told me it could NOT be done and if I had wanted that I should have ate in the windjammer.

The problem was I had TRIED to eat in the windjammer but there was a 45 minute wait in line on sea days. Now my dinner waiter was GREAt-if only I could have had him at lunch.

I once had a travel agent who I met on vacation tell me that RCCL was selective on who they hired as crew whereas Carnival was known for taking anyone off of the street just to fill out their rosters...having cruised on both lines I have to say that it does not really surprise me!

I once had a travel agent who I met on vacation tell me that RCCL was selective on who they hired as crew whereas Carnival was known for taking anyone off of the street just to fill out their rosters...having cruised on both lines I have to say that it does not really surprise me!

That is totally absurd about what you say regarding Carnival. The service I received last year on the Miracle was outstanding. Our cabin team was phenomenal. They kept the cabins spotless, brought us whatever we asked for and addressed both my husband and I by name when they saw us in the hall and asked how our day was and what we did. Our wait team was just as good. The first night the waiter asked if I wanted iced tea or water. I said Iced tea and I also asked for lemons because I love lemon in my tea. Every night after that, there was a plate of lemons in front of my spot and as soon as I sat down the waiter came over with the iced tea. They also recommended was was good each night and I loved a particular dessert and brought that to me every night as well.

I seriously doubt Carnival hires their employees off the street. :rolleyes:

You can't look at this in isolation of the quality of the ships and ship experience.

Read the reviews. Carnival is among the industry's bottom-feeders. RCI is consistently ranked higher as a line.

I've been on 10 RCI cruises. I've always found the crews friendly and helpful.

Archived