Eddie Bauer backpack "leash"

itchin2cruz

I remember seeing a thread about this a while back. I just wanted you all to know I used this with my 3 year old son on the Holiday last week and got nothing but positive compliments and laughs from everyone.:) Oh, and it worked beautifully....

My husband has all but flat out admitted that he was WRONG and I was RIGHT about our Monkey backpack/leash thing.

EVERYONE loved it on the Voyager a few weeks ago. EVERYWHERE we went people were saying "aww, how cute" and "oh, look, he has a monkey on his back"

We just used it in Sam's on Saturday and everyone thought DS was simply adorable.

Maybe times have changed because I remember hearing negative things about having your child on a leash. Maybe these days people just better understand the need to leash your toddler.....

No one has even been openly negative to us about it.

Yes we bought the Monkey backpack one...and we have tested it out around the house...luckily my son loves it and it doesnt bother him at all...I cant wait to use it on the cruise this week....definitely helpful since he is running everywhere now!

Same with us -- I picked up the Unicorn one last week and we have used it a couple of times on my 17 month old niece.

Nothing but positive comments from everyone and all kinds of people stopping me to ask -- where did you get it.

We cruise with her next week, and I can tell you -- I feel much better about it.

Tracey

Sounds like you all have it covered. :D

Just adding my 2 cents worth: something like that is (IMHO) incredibly valuable in the airport. That was always the place that worried me a great deal - so many people rushing hither and yon. No matter how organized and efficient you are, there will come the time when you are checking in that your attention will, at the very least, be split between your child and the airline employee. Same goes when you arrive at your destination and you are collecting your luggage from the carousel.

So, kudos to you all for going the extra distance to insure your child is safe! Have a most excellent cruise, all! :)

I am SO glad to see this thread. I've been telling my DW since before he was born that we'd be getting one. She was adamantly against it and that I was nuts till he just started crawling. Now she's all for it.

Now if I could just find one that fits the DW when we go shopping.... seriously. She's 4'8" and if she wanders off and goes behind a clothing rack, i can't find her. I told her I'm going to find a hat with one of the orange flags like what they have at the dollar store. And yes, I'm recovering well after I made that comment. I forgot where a sucker punch from a short person would land on a tall person. I sure do hope my voice drops back down to normal eventually. :eek:

Better get used to those "sucker punches" --- DH is very, very watchful when DN (dear niece) is in the house... She spends a lot of time with us - and he has learned the hard way..... Funny though, it took 5 or 6 "incidents" before he learned to be more watchful. She has done nothing intentional at all ---- but her new trick is to be very docile, patient and still while you take the diaper off --- but as soon as the 2nd tape releases, jump back because she is off and running.

Tracey

Now if I could just find one that fits the DW when we go shopping.... seriously. She's 4'8" and if she wanders off and goes behind a clothing rack, i can't find her. . .

My DH (6'5") is the shortest person I ever even went out with -- keeping track of freakishly tall guys in large crowds is very easy!

Keeping track of the little ones, not so easy -- my now 3YO neice had a "leash" when she had just started walking and it was great. Good luck with yours!

I have seen the mentioned backpack "leashes" around here and noticed how happy the little ones and their parent's are when walking down the street. We used the old style in 1995 because our independent daughter did not want to hold hands but loved the freedom to walk out in front of us and lead the way. It was always her choice to hold hands or the use the "leash", I don't think that she once chose to hold hands. I spoke with a neighbor who was an ER doc once and she had just gotten off shift and had 2 different little ones brought in because they were holding hands and fell or pulled away from their parent and ended up with dislocated "elbows" is what I remember. She said she had done the same when her child was small and could relate to how the parents felt.

Now if they could have only invented the dual "leash" my poor twins wouldn't have ended up in the stroller until they were 2 and a 1/2.

Karysa

We first saw the animal/backpack/leash combo in Belize. A grandparent had one on a 2 year old. We asked where she got it (Target).

Bought one to use with our then 1½ year old granddaughter and have had nothing but positive responses from others.

Charlie

I saw a mother using a monkey backpack/tether for her child at the Renassiance Faire and had to ask her where she got it, it was adorable! I went straight to Target and bought one for my DD. We've used it many places and have only gotten rave reviews. I was expecting harsh comments but so far, no one has said anything..... to my face! LOL

If my YDD is walking more completely by the time we leave on our next cruise (4 days) then I will be taking it for her.

Megan, as my husband (Charlie) said, we have been taking our granddaughter on walks with the Eddie Bauer backpack leash for a year now. Granddaughter will be 3 in October. She has the teddy bear backpack.

She loves it! Her brother is in kindergarten this year and we walk about 2 blocks to and from school each day to pick him up after kindergarten. Little granddaughter does not want to leave the house for the trip without her teddy backpack and leash.

Dianne

Hi all,

I am really interested in purchasing one of these for my son who will be 16 months on our cruise in August and has been running for a month or so now!!! This sounds like it could really come in handy...Do you know anywhere in Canada that sells them? TIA,

Katie

I'm really shocked that everyone is totally fine with the leashes. Whether they look 'cute' or not, it's still a leash.

I was always adamant that I would not put my child in one, and everyone said "wait till they're walking", "wait till they're running". Well my daughter now walks and is starting to run and I still will NOT put her in one.

Just a personal decision, but I believe you may get a few dirty looks using one.

I'm really shocked that everyone is totally fine with the leashes. Whether they look 'cute' or not, it's still a leash.

I was always adamant that I would not put my child in one, and everyone said "wait till they're walking", "wait till they're running". Well my daughter now walks and is starting to run and I still will NOT put her in one.

Just a personal decision, but I believe you may get a few dirty looks using one.

I would certainly take into account dirty looks over safety.

And I don't think that "everyone is totally fine with leashes" - I think those who are fine with them are giving each other information and support here and those that can't be helpful on this topic are posting elsewhere.

I don't use them, but I think it's great for any parent to do what makes them feel safe when taking their children out.

Best,

Mia

Nope! No dirty looks what so ever! Everyone whom made a comment said nothing but positive things.

It is quite possible that people now realize that parents who "leash" their children are actually very much concerned for the child's safety as well as enhancing the ability of the parent to control exactly how much their child runs amok and gets underfoot of the general public.

A leashed child cannot "get away" and create a nuisance of themselves. Children whom are leashed can still create a nuisance of themselves, dont get me wrong - but you will rarely find an out of breath parent running to catch them....rather a close parent whom is able to scoop them up quickly.

Hi all,

I am really interested in purchasing one of these for my son who will be 16 months on our cruise in August and has been running for a month or so now!!! This sounds like it could really come in handy...Do you know anywhere in Canada that sells them? TIA,

Katie

We got ours at wal mart, $10. Try Amazon.com and search for child leash / child harness.

I'd rather put a leash ( I prefer the term tether) on my child than risk them running into traffic. I think it is somewhat like car seats. Sure many of us survived childhood without using one, but would we risk our child's lives with out using one now? Some children are just super active and if using a tether helps to keep them safe then GO FOR IT!

I always got some dirty looks (and usually some positive comments as well), but it sure beat letting them get lost. I didn't use it with all of my children -- my boys were usually happy to stay with me and/or ride in the stroller. The girls were a different story. For me, it depended on temperament, and I adjusted accordingly. Sometimes you luck into a compliant one, and other times you get one who's a bit more spirited.

When they were older, I used a rope with hand loops tied in it. I got lots of amused comments going through airports with 3, 4 and 5 year olds following like ducklings on their rope behind me. Trying to negotiate plane changes in Dallas, Atlanta, and O'Hare by myself, it was the only way ... children that age still require a good bit of carryon luggage. The next year was easier. I took the luggage and the baby in the stroller, and dh herded the older 3.

We leave next month for another cross-country flight (dropping the kids off so dh and I can cruise), and the older daughter, who remembers the harness well, asked about the rope.

I always got some dirty looks (and usually some positive comments as well), but it sure beat letting them get lost. I didn't use it with all of my children -- my boys were usually happy to stay with me and/or ride in the stroller. The girls were a different story. For me, it depended on temperament, and I adjusted accordingly. Sometimes you luck into a compliant one, and other times you get one who's a bit more spirited.

When they were older, I used a rope with hand loops tied in it. I got lots of amused comments going through airports with 3, 4 and 5 year olds following like ducklings on their rope behind me. Trying to negotiate plane changes in Dallas, Atlanta, and O'Hare by myself, it was the only way ... children that age still require a good bit of carryon luggage. The next year was easier. I took the luggage and the baby in the stroller, and dh herded the older 3.

We leave next month for another cross-country flight (dropping the kids off so dh and I can cruise), and the older daughter, who remembers the harness well, asked about the rope.

We had 3 children in just under 3 and a half years. I did not want to put my kids on a leash and used to let my boys walk along beside the pushchair, with baby in the pushchair. One boy each side would hold onto the pushchair.

Tha worked well until one day when I turned left into a shop. Inattentive older son had let go of the pushchair and he carried on up the road, not realising I was not beside him until too late. He could not see me, and ran up the road, crying for me. I came out of the shop almost immediately, but he had got lost in the crowd. He was gone in a flash!

It took all afternoon before he was reunited with us - a kind person had taken him into another shop, fed him milk and cookies and called for the police. At the police station, I was made to feel like a very neglectful mother!

After that, any small child of mine walking in town wore a harness and leash!

We were lucky someone with good intentions picked our son up. The ending could have been far more dangerous for him! Better a leash than a lost or abducted child.

ok so it is still a leash - it is a safety device in a crowd. My child will be a lot less traumatized by her cute little backpack with a leash on it than she would by getting separated from me in a crowded airport.

And I really do not understand what is wrong with a "leash" _ not like I am attaching it to a choke chain and getting her dog tags

That's your decision for your child. You might feel differently if you were trying to keep 3 under-fives safe in crowds or unfamiliar places.

Better a leash than a lost child.

Archived