La Spezia/ Cinq Terre

I would appreciate it if someone could give me some insight into the following questions:

1. How do you get from where the ship tenders to the train station

2. How long does it take to ride through the 5 villages if you didn't get off?

3. Which village or villages would you get off to sightsee/

4. Arriving on a Sunday?

I am sure this is no help to you. I did not go by cruise we drove there. It took a while to just get to Monteroso (not even sure that is how you spell it--- it has been a couple years).... But I think that was the first or second village. It was really pretty. I would recommend you go to that one nice beach and restaurants. Not much shopping. You can walk to each village or take the train to each and stop as you want.

Definitely stop in Vernazza! It is a wonderful village. Walk from the train station down to the harbor. There are several nice restaurants there. We sat outside at Gambero Rosso, right at the edge of the square by the beach. Idyllic! If you walk above the train station you can get the perfect view of Vernazza harbor. It is a bit of a climb, though, but well worth the views!

It takes about 15 minutes if you stay on the train from Riomaggiore (the Southern-most town) to Monterosso (the Northern-most town). The are very close together. Monterosso is very nice, but it the most touristy. The beach is beautiful.

It is a lovely (and easy) walk from Riomaggiore to Vernaza along the Via Dell' Amore. Your train ticket will include the Via Dell' Amore and other hiking paths between the towns if you buy the Cinque Terre Card. As I recall, it was quite inexpensive.

Hi..

We (party of 5) took a cab from tender landing in La Speczia to Riggamagorio..Cost 40 Euro..Train Ticket 1.1 Euro/Park Pass 5 Euro..We did the Via Del Amore..Walk of Love from Riggamagorio to Manarola..Then took the train to each additional village..the trains run frequently and are short trips between each village..We spent about an hour in each village..Vernazza was a little longer as we had lunch..We took the train from Monterossa to La Speczia..and returned to tender dock by cab..We had a fabulous day and enjoyed each of the villages..Total cost approx 18 Euro/pp and that encluded lunch..Hope this is helpful to those considering the Cinque Terre..

Carol

• 2 weeks later...

We did this trip last week and it was spectacular. We walked from the tender dock to the station (about 20 minutes) but last time we visited we took a taxi as we were later hitting land (time for tender transfers) and needed to save time.

There are a number of trains departing La Spezia just after 10.00 or soon after but then there's about an hour before the next one so it's good to get to the station by 10.00.

As another poster has suggested, buy the Cinque Terre card - it allows unlimited journeys between La Spezia and the villages and includes the fee to walk the coastal paths (8.50Euros). There is an office specifically for buying the Cinque Terre card on the right as you enter the station. They will also give you the current timetables of trains to/from La Spezia (ask for it if not offered - it's essential to allow you to plan your travel.) Don't forget to validate your card before getting on the train - this validation lasts for the day. And sign the back too where it also says you need verification of your I.D. if asked for it. We did have our ticket checked, but no ID requested.

If you have to prioritise because of time, I would omit Monterosso as it's the least representitive of the character of the villages. Get off at Vernazza (the prettiest in my opinion) then consider catching the ferry from there to Manarolo. The ferry costs 5.50Euros from Vernazza to Manarolo. This misses out Corniglia as it sits on top of a hill and I don't think it's quite as interesting since it doesn't have a harbour/drop down to the sea - although we did enjoy our visit there on the previous occasion we did this trip. Also be prepared to climb 400+ steps from the level of the train station to get up to the village. You could argue that you get the best views of Corniglia from the ferry anyway.

If you then get off at Manarolo, also very picturesque, you can then look around here before doing the Via dell' Amore walk between Manarolo and Riomaggiore. This is an easy walk on a paved pathway cut into the cliffside and takes about half an hour (allow more for taking photos!). You can walk between the other villages, but they are increasingly rugged as you go northwest from Manarolo and take they take longer and are more arduous. Lovely for walkers - but you have to maximise what you can reasonably fit into one day and keep an eye on the time for your return train to La Spezia.

The last time we visited, La Spezia was pretty well shut up on Sunday but even this time (last Monday) the shops were shut from lunchtime until mid-afternoon.

Enjoy your trip - the Cinque Terre is one of our all-time favourite destinations in the Med.

We did this trip last week and it was spectacular. We walked from the tender dock to the station (about 20 minutes) but last time we visited we took a taxi as we were later hitting land (time for tender transfers) and needed to save time.

There are a number of trains departing La Spezia just after 10.00 or soon after but then there's about an hour before the next one so it's good to get to the station by 10.00.

As another poster has suggested, buy the Cinque Terre card - it allows unlimited journeys between La Spezia and the villages and includes the fee to walk the coastal paths (8.50Euros). There is an office specifically for buying the Cinque Terre card on the right as you enter the station. They will also give you the current timetables of trains to/from La Spezia (ask for it if not offered - it's essential to allow you to plan your travel.) Don't forget to validate your card before getting on the train - this validation lasts for the day. And sign the back too where it also says you need verification of your I.D. if asked for it. We did have our ticket checked, but no ID requested.

If you have to prioritise because of time, I would omit Monterosso as it's the least representitive of the character of the villages. Get off at Vernazza (the prettiest in my opinion) then consider catching the ferry from there to Manarolo. The ferry costs 5.50Euros from Vernazza to Manarolo. This misses out Corniglia as it sits on top of a hill and I don't think it's quite as interesting since it doesn't have a harbour/drop down to the sea - although we did enjoy our visit there on the previous occasion we did this trip. Also be prepared to climb 400+ steps from the level of the train station to get up to the village. You could argue that you get the best views of Corniglia from the ferry anyway.

If you then get off at Manarolo, also very picturesque, you can then look around here before doing the Via dell' Amore walk between Manarolo and Riomaggiore. This is an easy walk on a paved pathway cut into the cliffside and takes about half an hour (allow more for taking photos!). You can walk between the other villages, but they are increasingly rugged as you go northwest from Manarolo and take they take longer and are more arduous. Lovely for walkers - but you have to maximise what you can reasonably fit into one day and keep an eye on the time for your return train to La Spezia.

The last time we visited, La Spezia was pretty well shut up on Sunday but even this time (last Monday) the shops were shut from lunchtime until mid-afternoon.

Enjoy your trip - the Cinque Terre is one of our all-time favourite destinations in the Med.

much better and easier by ferry from La Spezia but even better Portovenere which is a great stop on it`s own.:cool:

Hi seapenarth,

I've been saving up Portovenere for a separate visit next time we're in the area - it looks so beautiful. Do you think it's worth a whole day going by ferry from La Spezia, or would you also go further round to Cinque Terre as well?

It's all so lovely, I've no interest in going off to Pisa from here when such fabulous places are on the doorstep of La Spezia!

• 1 month later...

Looking for some opinions...

Thinking of taking ferry all the way to Monterossa to see the coast and then work our way back via trails and train stopping at the various villages along the way. Or is it better to start in the south and work our way north by trail and train and then ferry back?

Also, if heading downhill is the trail from Monterossa to the next village difficullt? how long to walk it?

thanks for any input.

I'll try to help you out. I'm a major Cinque Terre lover, and have hiked the entire trail between all five villages a few times.

My recommendation is always to start at the southernmost village, Rigomaggiore, because the first part of the trail is the easiest and, hence, the most crowded later in the day. Start there in the morning and you might actually find a few stretches where you are the only ones on it! Wait a little later, and it gets packed. It's only a 20-minute walk, and it's fully paved and can be managed by almost anyone with basic mobility.

This takes you to Manarola, which is a charming little seaside village, although it isn't quite as unique as some of the others.

I usually take the train from Manarola to Corneglia, because the main path on that leg has been washed out and closed many times. There is another path you can take that goes up and around the impassable part, but it's particularly steep, difficult, and long - about 90 minutes, involving quite a climb to Corneglia, which is at the top of a cliff over the ocean (rather than down at sea level, like the other villages). The train from Manarola to Corneglia only takes about 8 minutes, and then there's a free shuttle that will bring you up the long, steep climb to the center of Corneglia. But if the main path (trail #2) is actually open, then it's a pleasant 1-hr walk, and will take you to the train station, where again you can skip the loooong stairway climb to the center of the village by taking that free shuttle. This is my favorite village - it just has an ancient, medieval, atmospheric vibe to it that the others don't have - not to mention the best views! I love wandering the narrow passageways in between the ancient buildings.

The leg between Corneglia and Vernazza is my favorite - it's not quite as steep and harrowing as the Manarola/Corneglia detour leg, but it has some challenging rock-stepping and narrow ledges, so you definitely want to be in good shape, and wear sturdy shoes. It runs through lovely terraced vineyards...and it's also where you'll see some of the best views on the entire trail circuit! It takes about 90 minutes, but since it's ultimately going downhill (Vernazza is on the water) it's not too bad. But I wouldn't want to do it the other direction.

Finally, the leg between Vernazza and Monterosso is the longest, at least 2 hrs, and most difficult, and I've only done it once. I usually skip Monterosso altogether, because it's my least-favorite village. It's more of a small beachy tourist town for local Italians, and as such I don't find it nearly as charming as the other villages. If you want to visit it and have the time/energy for the trail, go for it, or just take the train from Vernazza - again, it's just a short hop, maybe 10 minutes.

You can then take the ferry back from there.

I hope this helps!

Le Anne thanks for your help. Very good info from someone who has actually been there is indeed very helpful.

Some how I had it in my mind that it would be downhill going north to south but know i have the feeling that it is more up and down the whole way. We will take your suggestion to start in the south by train and then return by ferry.

I do have a few other questions. There are a few on our roll call who have more limited mobility and I am wondering if they take the ferry to visit the villages, is it difficult walking to the villages from where the ferry docks? How about from the train? They are trying to decide if they will be able to enjoy any of the villages or will have to settle with just viewing from the ferry boat. I have read a lot of info but still don't have a clear picture of what to tell them to expect.

Thanks for any help. I really appreciate any input from those of you who have visited the area in the past.

Having not ever taken a ferry in the area, I can't answer your question about how it would be for mobility challenged folks. I can speak to the trains, tho...

A lot depends on how challenged they are. Getting in and out of trains in Italy can be challenging enough - they normally are not set up for the handicapped, and you would need to be able to manage stepping up and down from the train, and getting through narrow aisles. If they can comfortably manage the train ride, then I would say they can visit at least some of the villages.

They may want to skip Riomaggiore - it's a looong, uneven walk through a tunnel from the train station, followed by some narrow stairways. The village center itself doesn't really have all that much - and the rest of the village is accessed by more stairs. In fact, the whole thing is built basically clinging to a cliff over the harbor, and instead of roads or alleys between buildings, it's all...yup...stairs.

Manarola should be okay, if I'm remembering it right - the village center is reasonably flat, and there's several shops and restaurants in the area. Corneglia would be good - while it's up high on a cliff over the ocean, there's that free shuttle that you can get right at the train station, which takes you right to the charming village square. Vernazza will probably be the best - it's the most popular of all five villages (thanks to Rick Steves) and has LOTS to offer right where the harbor is...and the train station is probably the most modern and best of all five for ease of negotiating.

Sorry, but I can't remember what Monterosso's train station is like.

Was there just last week, this is what we did.

Took a cab from the tender dock to R.R. station

Bought tkts R/T (Cinque Terre-Le Spezia)

Took the train to the first town (Riomaggiore)

Toured that town then walked "The Lovers Walk" to Manarola.

Toured Manarola then took the train to Vernazza

Toured and ate at Vernazza then trained it back to La Spezia

All this took us 3/4 of a day. You can take it from there.

CIAO, :D

Oh, but you skipped my favorite town of all...Corneglia! :D That's okay - Corneglia is probably the LEAST toured (and touristy) town of all five, and lots of people skip it because it's not right on the water, and it's a little tougher to get to.

Thanks again Lee Ann. The info about the train is quite helpful. Perhaps someone ill be able to answer the question about the assessibility of the ferry.

Can't wait to visit this area. We loved the amalfi coast and think that the scenery here will be equally as nice.

Did you have to buy several train tickets or was there one price like the HOHO bus?

What was the cost for the taxi to the train station?

The Cinque Terre Card gives you unlimited trips on the trains between the villages for the day. Be sure to validate the ticket BEFORE getting on the train for your first journey - it then remains valid for the day. Also included in the cost of the ticket (8.50Euros) is the fee for walking the coastal path (at least the Via Dell 'Amore - not sure if they charge for using the paths between the other villages but in any event the card covers it).

There is a little office to the right when you enter the main entrance to the train station in La Spezia where you buy the Cinque Terre Card. Ask for the train timetable and walking route map when you get your ticket if they don't offer you one. The tt is invaluable in helping you plan your day.

When we got a taxi from the tender dock to the station it cost us 12Euros (for 6 of us) but that was 2 years ago. This year, we had enough time to walk to the station (about 15/20 minutes) - you should aim to get there by 10am as there are a few trains between 10.00 - 10.40ish then I think there's quite a gap before the next one.

Archived