tunis

Thedabraddock

I've been doing a little research and it seems like getting to Carthage from Tunis is pretty cheap. In that case I'm thinking the relatively expensive excursion offered by the cruise isn't worth it (we prefer discovering on our own anyways). We don't have much time but I've heard its a very short distance to Carthage and doesn't take a lot of time. Does anyone know how much time? Is the light rail system quick and reliable? What's there to see in Tunis and Carthage-is one better than the other or is it better to stay in each for a few hours? Thanks in advance!

There is a light rail line that runs from LaGoulette (where your ship will dock) up north to Carthage, and west to the edge of Tunis. Time to Carthage would be about a half-hour, I think. But be aware that you're not in Europe where you can always find someone who speaks English. If you can speak French (or of course North African Arabic) you should be fine, but if not, I would want to be with a guide.

Incidentally, if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Tunis over Carthage. The ruins at Carthage are Roman, not Punic, and are in pretty bad shape. It is an interesting town, with villas for the local elite and the President's house (which you must not get caught photographing). But Tunis has the Bardo Museum, with amazing Roman mosaics and some North African tilework. It seems to be a fairly middle-class city, at least the parts that I saw, and getting some stereotypes about the Arab world adjusted was an interesting bonus to our trip. You can also go through the Medina, the old covered market; there is a map and walking tour in the Blue Guide to Tunisia. Here you will hear English, at least enough to attract you to buy.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Bob K - the Bardo museum in Tunis is a MUST. The osaiques are out of this world!! Central Tunis is easy to walk around, though you will need a taxi to get to the Bardo. Otherwise, the railway to Sidi Bou Said (another lovely part of Tunis) stops right by the ruins in Carthage and they are extremely interesting. That said, I would prefer to see them with a guide than on my own, though the little museum at the ruins is quite nice.

Archived