Help time from dock to vancouver airport

averageblokes

G'day

We berth in Vancouver at 7am. Our flight out has been brought forward to 10.20 am allowing the time you have to be at the airport before the flight are we going to have enough time and what is the best way to get to the airport.

thanks to anyone who can assist

There is no way you will make that flight. The Vancouver airport is notorious for line ups and slow service. I'm presuming you will be flying back to Australia, there must be a flight later in the day or stay over one night. I would not book anything flight before noon. If you don't use the ship's transfer, you can take a taxi it should run you about $40-$50 CDN. The airport is a good 45 minute drive from the port.

Hi,

I agree with cruiseryyc that you will probably not make it for your 10:20 AM flight. The airlines recommend checking in 3 hours before an international flight.

The ship may berth at 7:00, but it will still take probably 1/2 an hour before you could disembark. Once you disembark, it may take you quite some time to find a cab, especially if there are other cruise ships docking at the same time. On a good day, it will take you 30-40 minutes to get to the airport. To be on the safe side, however, I usually budget at least 1 hr to get there during rush hour.

An alternative is for you to check in online (if that is offered by the airline you are taking), because, in most cases, you are allowed to check in 2 hours before your flight. But even then, that is cutting it really close. There are just too many unknown variables. Would you be able to get on a flight later in the afternoon, or the following day?

Aside from the ship's transfer, here are your other options for getting to the airport:

http://yvr.ca/guide/toandfrom/index.asp

Probably the best way to get to the airport is by cab, if you want something that is cheaper than a limo, but is more convenient than the airporter bus. You could also probably get on a limo, which you can *probably* book in advance so that could cut down on the risk of not being able to find a cab right away, but it will cost you more than a cab. If there are only 2 of you, and if you are not in a hurry, you can always take the Airporter bus for ~$13.50/per person, which works out to be cheaper than a cab or limo, but it has plenty of stops.

Hope that helps.

The logistics are like this; your ship will get in at 7 am but by the time it clears Cutoms and Immigration the first people will not be off before 8 am and by the time you get your bags, clear customs and get in a cab you will be looking at 9 am, you are 45 mins to the airport and must be there a minimum of 2 hours before flight time on a international fight. So I am afraid your 10:20 can't be had.

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is an internal flight to Montreal

Hope this will make it easier for us

what do you think?

Most airlines still recommend that you get to the airport at least 60 minutes before a domestic flight (some recommend 90 minutes - check with your airline). This is a good recommendation because line ups for security could sometimes be long during peak times (early AM, noon, early evening).

Here's the website for Vancouver airport: http://yvr.ca/latestinfo/index.asp?id=530

You could still probably make it in time, IF things go really well, ie. if ALL these conditions are met: you could check in online, you can get a taxi no later than 08:30, and you do not encounter any delays getting to the airport (travel time of 40 minutes or less).

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and still try to book a later flight. It's probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

Have a similar question and could use some sound advice. We will be arriving Vancouver on Sapphire Princess on Sat Sept 20 according to schedule at 7:30am. Would we even have a chance to make a 12:20 flight from YVR or would we be better off staying at an airport vicinity hotel and opting for the 6:25am on the Sept 21. Thanks for the help. :)

Does anyone know if YVR has a First Class Security line? Most of the ones in the US move much quicker than the coach lines and I'm hoping we can save some time using them.:o

I do not know of a First Class security line at YVR.

I've really only seen one security line in both the domestic and international terminals. But then again, I never fly first class.

Line ups at YVR are not that bad as long as you do not fly during peak times (early AM, noon, early evening). I've breezed through security for 8:30PM flights.

Guess that wasn't much help.

Have a similar question and could use some sound advice. We will be arriving Vancouver on Sapphire Princess on Sat Sept 20 according to schedule at 7:30am. Would we even have a chance to make a 12:20 flight from YVR or would we be better off staying at an airport vicinity hotel and opting for the 6:25am on the Sept 21. Thanks for the help. :)

You should be able to catch that one, tight but doable. Make arrangements PAX services desk for US Direct just as soon as you get on the ship and that will save you some time. The spaces for the US Direct program are finite so if you couldn't get it then just be sure that you are off the ship ASAP.

The first line you hit at the Vancouver airport is a bear. An absolutely bear! It can take over an hour to get through it. People have carts and heaps of baggage to haul along the line. There is no place to sit and rest.

You have to do this line unless you do US Direct (which is a whole other subject).

If you are not going to make your flight, they won't let you go on to other lines to try to do so. Just won't happen. Also people will not let you cut the line no matter how much you beg.

I've been in that darn line with people who got off 'sick' ships. Now that is a worry!

I travel with a carry on only when going to Vancouver. At some point they let me out of that big line and through a separate barrier so I can go on my way. At some point the folks with all that baggage have to check it in. I can't imagine what is going on now with so many airlines charging $25 for a 2nd checked bag!

Flying to Detroit Metro via Minneapolis.

For US flights, it is recommended you try to get to the airport 2 hours before your flight, as most carriers have a check-in deadline of 60 minutes before departure (check with your airline as this could vary).

This is what YVR recommends:

http://www.yvr.ca/latestinfo/index.asp?id=530

As long as you can get into a cab by 9:30AM, which is not impossible, you can probably make it. (of course an alternative is to take the cruise ship transfer)

I personally would probably just take the 6:25AM flight on September 21 to save myself the stress of having to try to make the 12:20 flight on September 20. (That is, if paying for 1 night's accommodation and meals, etc is not an issue for you.)

Based on my experience, the last thing someone needs after a good relaxing cruise is to stress himself/herself out trying to catch a flight the moment he/she disembarks. JMHO

Again, you would likely make your 12:20 flight as long as *everything* goes smoothly. Based on your schedule, you have room for error, but not much. Noon is also a peak time at the airport so security line ups could be long.

Perhaps using the on board check-in/US direct will help you (I think you need a cruiseline issued transfer for this). See if you qualify:

http://www.yvr.ca/guide/around/onboard/index.asp

Hope that helps.

Sorry I should have mentioned that it is an internal flight to Montreal

Hope this will make it easier for us

what do you think?

Well for a domestic flight deduct 1 hour from my previous estimate....I just don't think you will do it. There are a number of flights to Montreal so getting a latter one shouldn't be a problem....unless of course this is a connector flight for you.

Archived