B749 Emerald Princess

Arlenedow

We just booked this cabin for the Grand Transatlantic Adventure 9/13/09. It will be out first aft cabin. Has anyone been in this cabin or one near it? What thoughts do you have for an aft Baja deck on the Emerald?

Thank you,

Arlene

We just booked this cabin for the Grand Transatlantic Adventure 9/13/09. It will be out first aft cabin. Has anyone been in this cabin or one near it? What thoughts do you have for an aft Baja deck on the Emerald?
Hi Arlene,

We were in B749 on the Emerald for a Barcelona -> Venice cruise in September 2007. This was also our first aft cabin experience. We had heard so many raves about the aft cabins we just felt we owed it to ourselves to give it a try.

I can tell you the cabin is very private and quiet. Nobody will be walking past your cabin. Also, the balcony is completely covered by the deck above and the wall between yours and the next balcony provides full privacy. It would be a big stretch for anyone to view your balcony.

The bed is placed sideways in the cabin: your toes are facing starboard, head to the port. It took quite a bit of getting used to when the boat was rocking, even a slight rock. We enjoy the rocking action when in a balcony cabin along the side of the ship where the bed rocks from side to side. Head to toe rocking is a different experience altogether.

Also, we missed the views we usually enjoy from a side cabin. You can't really see much from back there. When in port, you're looking at the bow or stern of another ship...not that interesting.

Our feeling after the cruise is that we were happy we gave it a try, but will most likely not book an aft cabin again.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

I just posted in another thread about this cabin. We had B749 in January on Emerald and we love the location and view. Depending on the port and which way the ship is facing the view can be great or bad, but is always nice when sailing away. It is on the corner and has a slight wrap around. The balcony is large and fully covered with four chairs (2 recline) and a table. You can see back and slightly to the right. The walk to the elevators in the back of the ship is not far but the location is a fair walk to mid ship. I agree there is some movement aft but it never bothers us. There is no noise except the water below which we like. We always try to book an aft balcony ecspecially a corner but not everyone likes them.

We just got back from the Emerald and had C753 which is

a corner aft one deck below Baja. We felt significant pronounced movement in this cabin more so than with any other aft on the other

Princess ships. Not sure why, and there was a lot of creaking in the

cabin -- but we'd still book this again in a flash -- loved the location

and didn't mind the "head to toe" rocking at all, but Betty Cruiser is

correct, lots of vibration back there.

it is lonely back there LOL but a wonderful, quiet location.

If you don't get seasick then this is the cabin for you!

We just returned from the Crown and stayed in B749. If I had the chance I would always book this cabin over others, the problem is it is popular and aft cabins go quickly. We had our laptop and enjoyed the added bonus of free wifi when in a port that had closeby wifi such as San Juan. It was accesable from the aft on any deck. We did not experience much difficulty with the rocking motion. The sound is different than with side balcony cabins, as it sounds more like a waterfall with a constant water noise, and the sides you hear the waves more.

We don't have a true "aft" cabin but we are on the Grand, Emerald Deck, last mini on starboard. From what I am told it has "extra" balcony space.

Should we be concerned with the movement too? Never been this far back before.

Thanks for your responses

• 7 years later...

Loved B749 on Emerald Princess! We sailed it last March and it was simply fantastic! Your nearly in your own little world, you even have to walk all the way to your door, which isn't next to anyone else. It was very private, plus being on the corner you only had one neighbors balcony. The BALCONY was so much larger then our Jr. suite on royal c. it was deep and we had extra furniture. I loved watching the wake while we were cruising. I'd do a corner aft again but noticed on other ships, especially those on royal c. that the afts are staggered, making the privacy much less, i'd hate to be able to see down into the balcony under me and have the ones above me look down to me. but on Emerald, it's all ocean below :)

We find the movement in the aft is back and forth and not up and down like at the bow. This movement just lulls us to sleep. Once we tried aft on our second cruise, we have never gone back.

We love sailing away from the island and watching it disappear into the sunset. And they are very private aft balconies on this ship. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

We had this cabin in January on the Emerald. I loved the size of the balcony compared to some others that we have had. ALso liked that it was completly covered. It was really warm out on the balcony and not much of a breeze in the back. Not sure if that will be an issues on a TA cruise, but sometimes it was not enjoyable sitting out there because of the heat and humidity and no breeze. I would book this again if it was available, but probably not for a Caribbean cruise.