South Queensferry to Royal Mile unavailable

Hi,

We just received notice that the planned Doodlebus tour from South

Queensferry to the Royal Mile is unavailable. Does anyone know of

any other tours that take you around this area from the pier? Probably could just

take a taxi but for just the two of us, but it might be expensive. Anyone

else in same situation. Don't want to take train as unable to climb

steps or go uphill to train station. Could share ride with 2 others on Grand Princess on June 16th. Please offer some suggestions as Doodlebus also

had a stop at the Rosslyn Chapel.

• 2 weeks later...

It's quite simple to take the train from South Queensferry to Edinburgh. From there you can use a Hop-on, Hop-off bus that will take you to the Royal Mile. You can walk up to the castle and wander around, have lunch or tea then get on the Ho-Ho bus again to enjoy more of the sights of Edinburgh. The trickiest part is getting to the South Queensferry train station. You can manage it on foot (if you don't mind stairs) or grab a taxi for a very short ride. You'll want the train for Dalmeny Station in Edinburgh. There will probably be lots of other cruise ship passengers doing the same thing so you shouldn't have any problem.

It's quite simple to take the train from South Queensferry to Edinburgh. From there you can use a Hop-on, Hop-off bus that will take you to the Royal Mile. You can walk up to the castle and wander around, have lunch or tea then get on the Ho-Ho bus again to enjoy more of the sights of Edinburgh. The trickiest part is getting to the South Queensferry train station. You can manage it on foot (if you don't mind stairs) or grab a taxi for a very short ride. You'll want the train for Dalmeny Station in Edinburgh. There will probably be lots of other cruise ship passengers doing the same thing so you shouldn't have any problem.

Careful, here. Dalmeny station is not in Edinburgh. I know that's not what you meant. Let me try this - returning to the ship from Edinburgh, take the train to Dalmeny station and get off. Edinburgh stations are Haymarket and Waverley. Inbound, go all the way to Waverley, the end of the line.

Sorry, I meant Waverly. I checked and double-checked and still typed the wrong thing! Anyway, once you arrive at Waverly station, the tourist info center is right outside as are the Hop-on, Hop-off buses. I'm not sure how many trains there are each day but we had plenty of time to wander about Edinburgh Castle, stroll the Royal Mile, make the full circuit on the bus and get back to the train station and ship on our own. There were lots of fellow cruisers with us.

If you want to go to Rosslyn you are going to have to use a taxi as you will not have enough time to use public transport. I would suggest you take the train into Edinburgh and then take a cab from the station out and back - however you are going to have to try and agree a time for the cab to come back for you as there are no passing taxis in Roslin (village is spelt with an "i")

You might be cheaper to get say two couples together and use a pre arranged driver to take you from the tender point to Roslin and back to Edinburgh then you can come back by train or whatever to South Queensferry. I can give you some suggestions of local firms that are reliable but they may be a bit pricey

A

Archived