Anyone have info/tips on Capri?

Hi Mike,

I have a question too. We are on the Brilliance July 1st cruise. The tour offered from the ship to Capri doesn't have the option of Amalfi with it. Do you know if there is a private tour that does the Amalfi and Capri? We have 6 in our group. Thanks Trish

If you are docking in Naples, doing Amalfi and Capri will really be a rushed day. It takes many hours to drive the Amalfi drive, assuming you want to spend some time in Positano and a few of the other villages (including Amalfi). You than need to connect to hydrofoil to Capri (from Sorrento or possibly Positano) get to Capri, take the funicular up to the town, have some time to explore, and than get a hydrofoil all the way back to Naples (about 50 min). Personally (Mike might disagree with this) I think the Amalfi drive is best done as an entire day tour. Capri can best be done as a full day, or coupled with a visit to Pompeii, Sorrento, or both (even this would be somewhat rushed).

Hank

I would recommend a visit to Villa Michelle in Anacapri- built by a swedish doctor, incorporating ancient remains, with some fascinating decorations, magnificent gardens and views. Also- to book your return ferry at the same time as your ferry out there. The funicular gets extremely crowded and chaotic at the peak times for getting back to the mainland so don't leave it till the last minute!

Thanks Mike, Hank & Kate for all your input. I'll do the Capri with a visit to Pompeii, Sorrento from the ship. I'm new at this message board and I can't believe how helpfull it has been. Much Thanks Trish

Hi Mike in response to:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mike Andrews:

The two most popular things to do on Capri are to visit the Blue Grotto and to take the chair lift from Ana Capri to the top of Monte Solaro<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If we take the cruise tour Brilliance: Pomeii, Sorrento & Capri would we have time to do the Blue Grotto and/or chair lift from Ana Capri? Do we need to make reservations? Thanks Trish

I'm so icon_confused.gif since I've never been, what should we do? Should we do the cruise excursion with Pompeii, Sorrento & Capri? Or should we hire a driver and do Amalfi. I have all private drivers at the other ports. My parents most likely not get back to Europe so I want them to see the best. Trish

trishs- if it were me I'd go for the ship's excursion- I haven't done the Amalfi drive but we went there by boat from Sorrento. It's very pretty, but not a lot to do once you get there, and it's a long trip by road or sea. The other places are far more memorable for a first trip.

Hi Trish,

My visits to Capri have been for the whole day and whilst we enjoyed Capri it was very busy.

I much prefer the option of a visit to Pompei and then an Amalfi Coast tour. Our favourite places on the Amalfi Coast are Positano,Amalfi and Ravello.You could get your driver to take you to the Emerald Grotto near Amalfi which is similar to the Blue Grotto on Capri and the views from the Villa Cimbrone in Ravello are in my opinion the best on the Amalfi Coast.We have used Salvatore of DriveAmalfi (*****) twice and would recommend him without hesitation for your tour.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

We want to spend the day on Capri and need to know if we can purchase our round trip ferry tickets once we arrive at the dock or do we need to get them via a web site now? We will be on Celebrity's Millennium on Monday, June 21st.

Also, do we need to make reservations for lunch at a resturant or just show up and be in a wait line?

I can be reached at dsmills@hotmail.com

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

You don't really need to book tickets for Capri in advance as there are regular services. The ticket booths for Capri and elsewhere are a few minutes walk to your left from where the pier.

You will have no trouble finding a seat in a restaurant in June. WWW.caprionline.com may be of some help.

Mike

I would advise you to get on the ferry early. It was a madhouse the day we were there.

Also they would not let us buy return tickets. We had to do that once we arrived in Capri.

We spent the day at the beach and had fun. Enjoy, its lovely.

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

i ditto ana capri chairlift and villa michelle. also, spend the extra euros to ride to top in transport other than public bus! and margarita pizza was fab. blue grotto is often closed due to weather in summer.

Archived