No premium cruise lines

AFuncruiser

Hi DrewB :)

I am that way about wine. Even though I enjoy a glass of wine with dinner, my only concern is whether or not it tastes good to me. I could care less about the year it was bottled, or other factors that make some wines worth thousands of dollars a bottle while others are reasonably priced. In fact, it would be a waste of money for someone to give me a very expensive wine because I wouldn't know the difference. At the same time I feel grateful that my lack of sophistication saves me a fortune on wine :)

Oh a discussion about wine! Now THAT I will weigh in on :)

It is not only "very expensive" wines that are premium wines. There are some pretty amazing award winning wines that are very moderately priced. So, within my price range of a bottle of wine ("premium" or sometimes better:) ), I want a wine that tastes best to me. If you can't tell the difference - heck ya! Go with what is cheapest. But if you can taste the difference, you will find out that it isn't just cost that determines the quality. It can be an indicator, of course . . .

Just because the wine was not made from old vines in France, doesn't mean it can't be amazing. Case in point: 1976 Judgment of Paris.

In fact, it is industry experts - not one customer (or OP) who makes the decision about what wines fall under a "premium label". This is an industry term. Agree or disagree all you like - you aren't qualified to make the decision on behalf of an entire industry.

Similarly, the cruise industry has come up with its own labels/categories for cruise lines: "mainstream" (or contemporary), "premium", "luxury" and most recently, "specialty" (or niche). Google the terms - it is pretty universal. This is an industry standard and he can stomp his foot all he likes - Celebrity is listed in the vast majority (maybe all?) of industry lists of "Premium" lines. As is HAL (and several others.)

The OP can call it whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it an industry standard term. It wouldn't appear his credentials are on the same level as Robert Parker (wines) and qualify him to make it a standard for the entire travel industry. And if that is the case - he shouldn't be posting here - he should be sending his letters and press releases out to his industry expert colleagues. But, I suspect this is just one of those threads intended to get a rise out of everyone - and might disintegrate into bickering about dining room dress codes, smoking policies, or whatever is at the heart of the OP's discontent with the lines he mentions.

My 2 cents? WHATEVER! The only constant is change. Thank goodness we all have choices to put our hard earned dollars whereever we want, and call it whatever we want.

We are most pleased with the direction Celebrity is taking and are considering cruise vacations more often - with Celebrity the leading choice for us.

Now, off to the wine shop I go! :)

In fact, it is industry experts - not one customer (or OP) who makes the decision about what wines fall under a "premium label". This is an industry term. Agree or disagree all you like - you aren't qualified to make the decision on behalf of an entire industry.

Similarly, the cruise industry has come up with its own labels/categories for cruise lines: "mainstream" (or contemporary), "premium", "luxury" and most recently, "specialty" (or niche). Google the terms - it is pretty universal. This is an industry standard and he can stomp his foot all he likes - Celebrity is listed in the vast majority (maybe all?) of industry lists of "Premium" lines. As is HAL (and several others.)

The OP can call it whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it an industry standard term.

Perhaps I don't have the qualifications to change the verbiage the industry uses. I do, however, have EVERY qualification to encourage my peers to ignore useless industry terminology and labeling in favor of actual FACTS that may help them make more informed choices...

Perhaps I don't have the qualifications to change the verbiage the industry uses. I do, however, have EVERY qualification to encourage my peers to ignore useless industry terminology and labeling in favor of actual FACTS that may help them make more informed choices...

Yup agreed.

I was referring to OP and his declaration that Celebrity and Hal were no longer premium lines - and later went on to articulate that he is qualified to make this declaration - and that somehow only his opinion counts.

I am actually agreeing with you - we are all entitled to our opinion and yay for encouraging peers to make informed choices. And because we might feel differently; doesn't make it wrong. Each of our opinions are valid. Regardless of what the industry or the OP labels the product.

I feel the OP was trying to make a statement that he knows what he is talking about . . . and suggesting that the rest of us don't. I respect his opinion - just not when it is pushed on me.

"When I say there are no more premium lines I do have a good idea of what I am talking about."

To the OP original declaration: good for you. I disagree and feel that I have every bit of a good idea of what I am talking about. We have different opinions. Both should be welcome here.

To Drew - keep it up! That's what I find so valuable reading CC and the information and various opinions do allow me to make a more informed choices.

Oh a discussion about wine! Now THAT I will weigh in on :)

It is not only "very expensive" wines that are premium wines. There are some pretty amazing award winning wines that are very moderately priced. So, within my price range of a bottle of wine ("premium" or sometimes better:) ), I want a wine that tastes best to me. If you can't tell the difference - heck ya! Go with what is cheapest. But if you can taste the difference, you will find out that it isn't just cost that determines the quality. It can be an indicator, of course . . .

Just because the wine was not made from old vines in France, doesn't mean it can't be amazing. Case in point: 1976 Judgment of Paris.

The OP can call it whatever he wants, but that doesn't make it an industry standard term. It wouldn't appear his credentials are on the same level as Robert Parker (wines) and qualify him to make it a standard for the entire travel industry. And if that is the case - he shouldn't be posting here - he should be sending his letters and press releases out to his industry expert colleagues. But, I suspect this is just one of those threads intended to get a rise out of everyone - and might disintegrate into bickering about dining room dress codes, smoking policies, or whatever is at the heart of the OP's discontent with the lines he mentions.

My 2 cents? WHATEVER! The only constant is change. Thank goodness we all have choices to put our hard earned dollars whereever we want, and call it whatever we want.

We are most pleased with the direction Celebrity is taking and are considering cruise vacations more often - with Celebrity the leading choice for us.

Now, off to the wine shop I go! :)

Hi Coreopsis :)

Just to clarify my post that you are addressing. I can tell the difference between bad wine and good wine, and find some wines too chalky or acidic to be drinkable. However, I am not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between good wine and exceptionally good wine that costs a fortune because of its special year, vineyard, etc.

Hi Coreopsis :)

Just to clarify my post that you are addressing. I can tell the difference between bad wine and good wine, and find some wines too chalky or acidic to be drinkable. However, I am not sophisticated enough to tell the difference between good wine and exceptionally good wine that costs a fortune because of its special year, vineyard, etc.

Clearly, we are going to have to discuss over a glass of wine! :)

Clearly, we are going to have to discuss over a glass of wine! :)

Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio in preference to a Chardonnay ??

Oops .... this may have gone off topic ... lol

Roy

You said it better than me. I was trying to make the same point and in regards to wines I fully agree. Price doesn’t always agree with quality and all depends on your personal tastes. Standards are set by the industry not your personal tastes no matter how much you have experienced.

Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio in preference to a Chardonnay ??

Oops .... this may have gone off topic ... lol

Roy

Ohhhhhh, the choices. I would have to say a nice crisp Pinot Grigio. Maybe a nice SA wine?? What time shall we open the bottle :)

While there are some people who want cruising to be exactly the way it was years ago, I am not one of them.

Therefore, I have no problem when Celebrity experiments with new ideas on their ships, because over the years I have discovered that I love many things that I was once reluctant to try.

On the other hand, I do expect Celebrity to keep their ships in good condition, serve quality food, and be service oriented.

We have taken well over 130 cruises in the past 40 years on practically every line, including 5 around the world, and have found every one of them (premium or not) totally enjoyable and every port interesting and fascinating, not that we would return to some. . .

The food on most lines is excellent – we are not food snobs. Most cruise lines use the same suppliers, so the quality doesn’t vary that much. Of course it’s up to how the chef prepares it. If you really don’t enjoy what you’re eating - send it back. As far as wine goes – if it’s red and finished fermenting, pour me a glass.

Each line has something different to offer depending on your tastes. To us it’s cruising, ports of call, and meeting new friends.

We’re glad we are in that minority who can afford to cruise and enjoy travel.

“Keep on Cruising”

Without dwelling on terminology, if Celebrity wants to distinguish itself from other mass market cruise lines, I think they could do so by a" less is more" approach.

Instead of having multiple formal nights on a cruise, they should have just one formal night but make it very special by having various activities onboard that night which would give passengers an incentive to dress for the occassion.

On most land based restaurants I have noticed there is an inverse relationship between the number of items on its menu and the quality of its food. Maybe Celebrity can follow suit by having less choices on its menu so it will be easier for them to focus on the quality of its ingredients and preparation.

I would also rather see one very good production show during a cruise than several mediocre ones.

There are other examples I could give, but I think I have given enough to have made my point.

This, of course, is just by humble opinion :)

Get me on the water at a good price with a decent outside cabin and I am a happy camper.

I said it before and I will say it again....

"Get me on the water at a good price with a decent outside cabin and I am a happy camper"....

Dennis

So sad...

Holland America and Celebrity cruise lines are not premium cruise lines any more!

We took our first HAL and Celebrity cruises about five years ago. There was nothing "premium" about either of them at that time. They are mass-market cruise lines just like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, etc.

Azamara, Oceania, Regent are "premium" cruise lines. One look at the prices should tell anyone that. Whether they're worth it or not is another question entirely.

They are mass-market cruise lines just like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, etc.

They may be mass market, but a world away from cruise lines like Carnival. RCL. Princess, NCL, etc.

Have you actually been on all of them?

G

We have been on all the mentioned lines and find they have basically the same amenities. The only real difference is the passenger age and affluence.

Wow, it is amazing that we can share such opposite opinions on the same topic. That's the beauty of this board, I disagree 100% with the above post and that's OK.

I have been on many cruise lines and although some are very much alike there are some that stand out. Now, I do like Carnival, I do like RCCL, I do like Celebrity but I go on each line knowing what the experience will be like. And no, it isn't just money and age, although I have too much of one and not enough of the other :)

enjoy,

Duane

We took our first HAL and Celebrity cruises about five years ago. There was nothing "premium" about either of them at that time. They are mass-market cruise lines just like Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Princess, NCL, etc.

Azamara, Oceania, Regent are "premium" cruise lines. One look at the prices should tell anyone that. Whether they're worth it or not is another question entirely.

Azamara and Oceania are Deluxe Lines. Regent is a Luxury line. Premium lines are those mass-market lines offering benefits over the others such as onboard experience, crew to passenger ratio with more adherence to the traditions of cruising.

Are they really all the same? Not in my opinion.

We have been on all the mentioned lines and find they have basically the same amenities. The only real difference is the passenger age and affluence.

Hi H&R Travel :)

I agree with you about differences in passenger age, but not affluence.

The "millionaire next door" syndrome can be found at sea as often as on land.

There are a lot of very wealthy people who sail on all mass market cruise lines while there are a number of people who barely eke a living that sail on luxury lines.

A person's attitude toward money is often a larger factor than how much they have in determining one's spending habits.

So? . . .

TTFN

Hey you don't happen to know the CD on the Quest last Dec, Becky Fields do you?, that was her VERY favorite saying...and so perky...actually drove us all crazy "TTFN...you know what that means don't you...TA TA FOR NOW...." every time she'd leave the PA or the stage. SHE was SO nice and very sweet and very helpful.... BUT!;)

Archived