Copenhagen Hot Dog Stands or Pølsevognen

I just a Rick Steves show on Copenhagen where one of the food choices he mentioned was Polsevogner, which sound like a cheap and quick lunch option especially when traveling with kids. Does anyone have any favorite ones in Copenhagen?

Thanks

Eileen

I just a Rick Steves show on Copenhagen where one of the food choices he mentioned was Polsevogner, which sound like a cheap and quick lunch option especially when traveling with kids. Does anyone have any favorite ones in Copenhagen?

Thanks

Eileen

These are sold from carts, or stands on a city street corner. I've often noticed them at Radhuspladsen, the town square. They are a kind of hot dog, and indeed very good. All the stand you will find are pretty much the same, offering the same. Good and cheap, what more can you ask.

The hot dogs in Copenhagen from the carts are nothing like here in the states....oh heaven...

.it's one of my favorite things to eat there..besides Ableskivers

There are 2 hot dogs carts near the Radhus, there's another one

1/2 way down Stroget on your way to Nyhaven on the left hand side.

YUMMY and inexpensive...

as I've said many times before...

Near the Radhus grab a hot dog from the carts, a drink from 7-11

sit on a bench staring at Bishop Absalon and the wonderful architecture of the Radhus. It's the best dinner deal in town!

The hot dogs in Copenhagen from the carts are nothing like here in the states....oh heaven...

YUMMY and inexpensive...

sit on a bench staring at Bishop Absalon and the wonderful architecture of the Radhus. It's the best dinner deal in town!

Do you know if 7-11 has Diet Dr Pepper?

Keep in mind that most soft drinks even Coca Cola have slightly different formulations worldwide..

.and might taste diffrent...as they are bottled/canned outside of the United States.

Coke in Mexico does taste different...our local warehouse club store has started carrying it .....

It will be interesting to see if they have my favorite, Diet Coke, in the Baltics.....

Thanks

Eileen

I'm sold - hot dogs it is. But I'm confused. Not sure if "polsevogner" is the dog or the cart? Also I found somewhere on another thread to try "weinerbrod" at La Glace. Apparently it's a fantastic pastry? Can somebody help before I order a hot dog for dessert or a pastry for the main course! Much thanks.

It will be interesting to see if they have my favorite, Diet Coke, in the Baltics.....

It is called Coca Light throughout the world.

They have it everywhere in CPH, including at their version of a Dollar store...Though it's a little bit stronger in taste.

On the hot dog cart there's like 5 "flavors" you can also order it with bun or not....

the buns aren't what we think of as buns, though shaped like it..

just don't taste like yucky wonder bread..

They are GOOD too!

The vendors are very helpful explaining the diffrence and

there is a picture menu.

If you haven't been to my webpage yet, you might want to stroll over not only for the pictures and Baltic Port info

BUT ...if you go to the Journal, then money page

I have a link for European versions of Dollar Stores.

http://when.do.we.leave.googlepages.com

The one in CPH is called TiGER, it's located next

to The Hotel on the Square near the Radhus. They have

drinks, snacks and all sorts of potential souveniers...including other neat stuff ..

that you think how can I get that home...as with our Dollar Stores...always a hit and miss ..

but drinks and snacks for 10-20 Kroner can't be beat with the exchange rate as it is..

I'm sold - hot dogs it is. But I'm confused. Not sure if "polsevogner" is the dog or the cart? Also I found somewhere on another thread to try "weinerbrod" at La Glace. Apparently it's a fantastic pastry? Can somebody help before I order a hot dog for dessert or a pastry for the main course! Much thanks.

Polsevogner is the Danish word for Hot Dog Cart which are similiar to what we have in the States. Weinerbrod I would guess is a pastry in the Austrian style (Wien being the Austrian word for Vienna). Now I have run out of my very limited foreign language words.:)

Eileen

YUMMY and inexpensive...

Our plan for Copenhagen is to see Rosenborg in the morning end up at Radhus (via Bus 26 from Rosenborg) then walk down the Stroget. I'm traveling with a husband and a 14 and 9 year old boys so hot dogs and soda is a perfect meal to all of us. I'm guessing the 7-11 is next to Radhus which is another favorite place of my boys. And the Tiger Store sounds great.

I've been reading your blog and it's filled with great advise.

Thank you!

Eileen

I think you have a great plan! The castle is great, the kids will love it, The crown jewels are incredible....the emeralds...wow!!

They might like to climb the Ruddetarn too! (Round Tower)

The Radhus is a perfect place for the kids and totally acceptable for them to "run around" a little in that area.

Another "cheap eat" is the waffle stands that are usually with the ice cream stand.

They are belgian waffles that can be plain or with fruit/whipped cream topping....great for snacks

The can be called wafle, gofri, gofry or something along those lines.

I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.. :) :) :)

It's a great area to put the little tidbits we want to share, that don't fit anywhere else in the journal sections!

If you have any questions just let me know before April 30th as we take off then until May 16th!!!

Bon Voyage

I think you have a great plan! The castle is great, the kids will love it, The crown jewels are incredible....the emeralds...wow!!

They might like to climb the Ruddetarn too! (Round Tower)

The Radhus is a perfect place for the kids and totally acceptable for them to "run around" a little in that area.

Another "cheap eat" is the waffle stands that are usually with the ice cream stand.

They are belgian waffles that can be plain or with fruit/whipped cream topping....great for snacks

The can be called wafle, gofri, gofry or something along those lines.

I'm glad you are enjoying the blog.. :) :) :)

It's a great area to put the little tidbits we want to share, that don't fit anywhere else in the journal sections!

If you have any questions just let me know before April 30th as we take off then until May 16th!!!

Bon Voyage

I remember the waffle and ice cream 20 years ago when I was a college student visiting Copenhagen. And I remember eating that for at least 2 meals a day because it was pretty cheap.

I thought about Roundtower but I figured we'd skip it since it didn't have much other than a view which doesn't interest the kids for very long.

Another place they want to see is the House of Amber because the boys love Amber with the bugs and other things in it. That's okay with me because I do like Amber jewelry.

My 14 year old son wants a picture of himself near the bust in Radhus of Niels Bohr who won The Nobel Prize in Physics in 1922 (my son loves physics and astronomy). I had to talk him out of Tycho Brahe Planetarium because there's only so much science I can handle without my share of castles and art museums which they can handle only so much of. And we're visiting the Nobel Museum in Stockholm just because he wants and it's his vacation too.

Eileen

Hi, I know we are going off topic..

but this is for Eileen...

The Amber Museum was great! we really loved it, it's on 3 small levels and just fascinating...on what they were able to create with amber...BUT from a kids point of view..lots of bugs and leaves and small bones in it.

Have you thought about City Hall in Stockholm, thats where the Nobel Awards are given.

LOVE how active your kids are in planning this...that's how I was as early as 6 when I was taught how to read a map...and the rest is history!!!

Hi, I know we are going off topic..

but this is for Eileen...

The Amber Museum was great! we really loved it, it's on 3 small levels and just fascinating...on what they were able to create with amber...BUT from a kids point of view..lots of bugs and leaves and small bones in it.

Have you thought about City Hall in Stockholm, thats where the Nobel Awards are given.

LOVE how active your kids are in planning this...that's how I was as early as 6 when I was taught how to read a map...and the rest is history!!!

Thank you! My kids are thinkers not athletes by any stretch (my 14 year refers to himself as a mathlete and a chesslete and the 9 year old is not far behind). So we tend to take vacations that involve lots of history and culture.

Rosenborg, Radhus, Hot Dogs and walking down the Stroget to the Amber Museum sound like a great day.

Thank you for your suggestions!

Eileen

Just wondering, is there anything remotely healthy about these hot dogs? They really sound delicious, but we have been on a lifestyle change for the last 6 months and trying to be good when we go to the Baltic in May. Any suggestions for something local we can eat?

We're basically not eating white food or starches (no white pasta, potatoes, white rice, white flour, sugar) and limiting our fat consumption(no AMERICAN hotdogs). Eating healthy, even on vacation!

Thanks,

Cathy

Just wondering, is there anything remotely healthy about these hot dogs? They really sound delicious, but we have been on a lifestyle change for the last 6 months and trying to be good when we go to the Baltic in May. Any suggestions for something local we can eat?

We're basically not eating white food or starches (no white pasta, potatoes, white rice, white flour, sugar) and limiting our fat consumption(no AMERICAN hotdogs). Eating healthy, even on vacation!

Thanks,

Cathy

Well, there is a LOT of herring to be had... ;)

Thanks,

Cathy

Cathy,

There's a restaurant in Copenhagen called Riz Raz that has a vegatarian buffet and supposedly inexpensive for Copenhagen according to Rick Steves (I think the lunch buffet is around $15.00 a person). Do a Google search and you will find information about Riz Raz.

Eileen

Thanks,

Cathy

I recommend an open faced sandwich, they are made on a dark rye bread, thinly sliced. This thin slice of bread is topped with a thin layer of butter. Toppings are endless, can be vegetables, beef, pork, seafood, you pick what ever you want. This is very Danish, and offers you plenty of options to suit your diet.

Ida Davidsen makes the best open faced sandwich (Smørrebrød)

http://www.idadavidsen.dk/index.php?page=8

The Hot dogs are not healthy at all so try Smørrebrød it also taste better.

All restaurants (also the riz raz) are listed on www.aok.dk.

Thanks for the recommendation. Ida Davidsen looks very interesting and reservations are recommended/required for lunch. They must serve good food.

• 8 months later...

From Rosenburg Castle - you would do better to simply walk the Stroget (pedestrian/shopping street) all the way back to Radhuspladsen (City Hall square), where the Stroget ends. Otherwise, you would really be back-tracking.

You can simply purchase the drink with the hot dog, from the same cart - if you want to be traditional, we drink chocolate milk with the hot dogs.

Furthermore you should not stop with the hotdog and chocolate milk, but also have some nice fresh herring with a pickle and a slice of onion. After that you will feel just fine.

On second thought, I think I will pass.

Archived