Feel bad to be at the last of the ship

oavcech95

Hi I was thinking if I´m going to feel bad or like to cvomit because my room is located at the back of the ship in a Infinity. My room number is 9009(something like that) in the Sky Deck. So please help;) :eek:

We frequently have rooms at the very back of the ship. While you do feel a little bit more motion there we don't think it is that bad or that there is a big difference.

However, I wouldn't recommend the location for someone who has a known severe sea sickness problem. If you do then mid ship, on a lower level would be better. But otherwise don't worry about it.

We always take some ginger as a "natural" sea sickness preventative. It does a lot for settling a shaky stomach. We usually have some the first day and overnight, and after that but only if we're in rough seas.

Oh thanks I think I will feel bad, but I am going to do that, to eat some ginger becuase my room is almost the last in the 8 floor.

On our last cruise - my wife got nauseous from the bus ride to Appleton Plantation in Montego Bay. Our tour guide took her to the coffee and tea bar and got her a ginger tea. 20 min later she was fine. She convinced the bar tender to sell her ( actully he gave her) the last 4 tea bags in the box and she drank it every day and felt great. Oh we found ginger tea at the shop in the waiting area in Mobay and bought 2 boxes for $2.50 each.

Wife recently had back surgery and used the ginger tea to calm the tummy from the anesthesia

Thanks, but I live in Mexico, and in that page it only deliver to USA and Canada, but I will hope that from here Mexico I will bring to Santiago it, or maybe in the hotel I find it. Still thanks, but if you know a place in Valparaiso,please tell me.

Thanks, but I live in Mexico, and in that page it only deliver to USA and Canada, but I will hope that from here Mexico I will bring to Santiago it, or maybe in the hotel I find it. Still thanks, but if you know a place in Valparaiso,please tell me.

Are there health food stores or specialty food stores where you live? If so I bet you can get ginger tea close to home. You might even find it in a grocery store. You should try to buy it at home and bring it with you. You never know if you'll have time or if you'll find a place near the hotel.

That´s true, I will get like 5 or more, but I still hope in the port or in the ship they sell it, they will be rich.

But if you have google or some search engine in Mexico you may find it.

I did see it at one of our local supermarkets in the USA

Healthfood store or organic food store would also have it.

Any store that sells what we would call homeopathic items - possible.

Don't go in thinking you will be sick. You probably won't be sick at all. I just took a cruise and had a cabin about where yours is(different ship) and I was fine. Unless you are really susceptible to motion sickness I doubt that you'll have a problem.

You can always find ginger at Sushi/Japanese restaurants. They serve it along with each platter of Sushi.

Consequently, if the ship on which you are traveling has a Sushi Station, you can always find sliced ginger there.

We use GINGERTRIPS found at Health food Stores. They are ginger tablets similar toTUMS. They taste good, are chewable and really work. I discovered them many years ago (more than 15 at least) written up in Cruise/Travel Magazine.

There is also candied ginger found in many stores that sell dried fruits, etc.

Hope this is helpful.

Marilyn

Hi I was thinking if I´m going to feel bad or like to cvomit because my room is located at the back of the ship in a Infinity. My room number is 9009(something like that) in the Sky Deck. So please help;) :eek:

9009 is in the front of the ship.

You are on Infinity - where are you going? Alaska out of Seattle? If so, I understand the first/last day can be rough seas - but other than that, inside passage is smooth and most people don't experience any seasickness. Stormy weather and/or high winds might be the only problem and may not be an issue at all for you depending on when you are cruising. Your ship is gigantic and very stable - not like the rocking you have on a small boat.

This is probably more information than you care to know . . .

From CDC

Motion sickness, a common problem in travelers by automobile, train, air, and particularly sea, usually causes mild to moderate discomfort but in severe cases can be incapacitating. It affects up to half of children traveling in automobiles or airplanes and almost 100% of boat passengers in very rough seas. Small boats and cars tend to be the most provocative stimulus for motion sickness (1). Motion sickness is more common in women (especially during pregnancy or menstruation), children ages 2-12 years, and persons who have migraine headaches.

More here . . . http://wwwn.cdc.gov/travel/yellowBookCh6-MotionSickness.aspx

Symptoms range from very mild discomfort - to violently ill. Everyone is different and some people have negative reactions to certain medications. There isn't just one solution for everyone. And, just because something is available over the counter doesn't mean it is safe for you - even ginger can pose negative health risks.

Here is a nice summary of how to prevent seasickness and the various medications - although the article is rather old (doesn't look like much has changed though!)

http://www.marinemedical.com/articles/seasick.htm

I call my doctor before I cruise and get the prescription for the patch. I only use one patch, each one lasts 3 days and by that time I generally have my sea legs and am fine. We were on a cruise ship on the Pacific during a Spring storm and everyone was sick (everywhere, I might add) but we had the patch and we were fine. The dining room had fewer than 25% of the room filled - same with theaters. Since then, I stick with the patch - works for me - even in extreme circumstances, and I don't suffer from any side effects and can still enjoy a glass of wine.

But, you will have to talk to your Dr. and see what he/she recommends for you.

Here is more info about some of the more common drugs. I've heard the ships Dr. can give you something - but as others have stated, if you wait until you have symptoms and you are suffering from severe seasickness, it is too little, too late.

http://www.drugs.com/meclizine.html

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/transderm-scop-patch.html

http://www.drugs.com/cdi/ginger.html

Hope all this helps to make you feel better and to know what to do to minimize effects should you or your family succumb to seasickness.

Have a great vacation!

Ok, so I will talk to my doctor for any recomendation, and in case of emergency we have the CruiseCare, insurance, that pay us all the medical things. Thanks, ohh so my Dr. will tell me what thing I can give to my kids, giner cookie, or tea? Thanks.

Archived