Deposits & penalties

PaulaJK

I just explored booking a cruise on Regent for June '09. The deposit is almost $6000. I felt that 14 months was a long time for anyone to have $6K of my money. Am I alone in this feeling?

Also, penalty for cancellation----even if next month, meaning 13 months in advance!--was $200 pp.

How is everyone feeling about this?

The $200 per person cancellation fee kind of sticks in my craw. I was accepting of the $100 fee for the PG because I believed it was related to a Grand Circle administrative fee. I understand it may weed out those that are just "tire kicking", but I think it penalizes too many innocent people with simple changes in plans.

But as far as the deposit goes, most luxury lines require a 25% deposit (or thereabouts), so Regent is not by itself. It has been this way for quite a while.

The problem arise when people book a luxury cruise for a minimal deposit and then 90-120 days out cancel...and those suites are harder to fill because big ticket cruises tend to be longer planned hence last minute passengers are harder to find; especially at the same higher price.

If I understand it right, the $200 can be applied toward another '09 booking. We cancelled one of two '09 cruises that we had booked, because Mark's stamina is kind of iffy right now, and the $200 penalty was switched over to the other one.

Archived