Nile River cruise review - Long!

soccerref

I would book your own air to NY. With the money that you save, you can fly up a day early and stay in one of the hotels by JFK airport - the Doubletree is nice enough and break up the flight and not worry about missing the flight, should you be delayed. GCT may even be able to get you a good rate at a hotel near the airport. With the money you save, you can probably stay in a hotel on the way back as well and avoid sitting in the airport for hours waiting for your domestic flight.

Traveler50, I love your idea of the "WOW" list. Hope you don't mind if I borrow it............. My list right now would include the Canadian Rockies (3completed trips and one coming up), the ruins at Ephesus, and the Hagia Sophia in Istanbul.

Did you happen to do a slideshow for your trip to Machu Picchu? If so, I would love to see it, if you would send it to me. We are thinking that may be the one we would like to do after Egypt next year.

My email is rcken@comcast.net.

Thanks. Nancy

That's great that you will have a "WOW" list too! Istanbul is somewhere I would really like to go because I have heard that is a favorite. I haven't been to the Canadian Rockies but would like to go. I have been to Ephesus but it's been a long time ago and yes I remember being overwhelmed because it was from so long ago and in the bible, especially seeing the stadium where Paul preached. Now that I have been to Egypt I've seen things much older than that even. There are just so many fascinating places in the world it's really hard to choose favorites. They are all special in a different way.

As a matter of fact I do have a Machu Picchu slide show so I will send it to you! You already have the viewer so just click on the file I will send you.

Something strange happened today about my slide shows. The software that I use is called PhotoParade and in the past I just inserted the email at the end of the show to the person I was sending it to. Then the recipient would get notification to download a free viewer and then the show.

Today when I tried to send a slide show a message popped up that they are closing their website and from now on it has to be mailed as a file attachment. The recipient will have to go to PhotoParade website at www.photoparade.com to download the free viewer. The viewer will only be available through the end of 2008. I am so sad because the software is so user friendly and an excellent way to create and send slideshows and it was very reasonably priced too. They did say that the software that we had already purchased could still be used but they just won't provide the email service or have support anymore.

I am explaining this just in case some of the people who have requested the Egypt slideshow get the message from PhotoParade. Evidently this is the first day of the notice from them because it worked as of last night.

We just came back on Egypt Air Saturday May 31st. Flight arrives into JFK at 3:15 PM, though we did arrive about 40 minutes early. We left JFK to Cairo at 6:30 PM on May 17th. You should book your GCT trip from NY and buy your own RT air to/from JFK. That's exactly what we did. Grand Circle charges way too much airfare for those flying from outside their metro area (usually NY and Boston) and I've found that you can do your own air for much less money. Everyone on this trip flies together no matter where they start. All the California folks came to NY too.

Egypt Air was a great airline with good, friendly service.

Pia

We also booked our own air to JFK. We spent the night before the flight near JFK just to make sure we got there with no delays.

On the way home we had plenty of time for a connecting flight and got back to Texas that night.

Book your own flight!

I'm sure you can get a better price to JFK on your own or through a travel agent. I booked my own air to JFK from Seattle and only paid $330 RT (in February, before the latest round of fare increases). I think Gate 1 quoted me $750.00.

I took a risk, and arranged my flights for the same day, allowing myself a 3 hour layover each way at JFK. I would not recommend that for the faint of heart for a mid-winter flight, but mine went perfectly smoothly, (early morning non-stop Seattle-JFK, arriving around 3:20 pm, then returning at 6:30 pm the day we got back from Cairo).

It was a risk, but it worked, and saved me the added expense (and extra day off from work) for an overnight stay in New York. With a little pleading, and a cooperative airline, I was even able to check my bag through to Cairo on the way there! If I'd not had a non-stop, had to claim my bag in JFK, and change terminals, and re-screen for security, I don't think I would have dared it.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to call GCT and find out when we return exactly and book our own flights. Even if we have to get our luggage at JFK and change terminals, I just can't fathom paying $730 for a ticket from KNoxville to JFK.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to call GCT and find out when we return exactly and book our own flights. Even if we have to get our luggage at JFK and change terminals, I just can't fathom paying $730 for a ticket from KNoxville to JFK.

Just in case you can't make the proper connections back to Knoxville, we used the Marriott Fairfield Inn at JfK for one night when we returned. They have a free shuttle to and from and a decent breakfast. After a 12 hour flight (and you will need to get up in Egypt at 4:00 AM that day) we were too beat to do a 4 hour layover at JFK so took the easy way out and got a good night's sleep before flying home on Sunday.

Pia

thank you so much Traveler 50 for your excellent review of Egypt. Also, thanks to Seafun. You are both wonderful story tellers. i felt like I was experiencing the trip.

Traveler 50 would you mind sending me your slide show? My e-mail address is micked10@embarqmail.com. I am trying to talk my DH into a trip to Egypt. I agree with you--Antartica was one of our all-time favorites. We went on Holland American Cruise Line about 4 years ago.

thanks so much for taking the time to do all of this.

micked10

Traveler50

Pia1913

Going to Egypt in Aug with GCT. My wife has a question concerning

shampoos, etc. Did the Hotel and Nile River Cruise have individual

or use the Dispensers for the shampoo,soaps.

Have sure enjoyed all the info being passed on

Traveler50

Pia1913

Going to Egypt in Aug with GCT. My wife has a question concerning

shampoos, etc. Did the Hotel and Nile River Cruise have individual

or use the Dispensers for the shampoo,soaps.

Have sure enjoyed all the info being passed on

On River Anuket, shampoo/conditioner dispensers in shower and both soap dispenser and bar soap at sink. Marriott of course gives you their wonderful soap, shampoo, lotion and bath gels, and the shower at the Marriott is exceptional.

Hint: When you get your Marriott room assignment, try to get into the G building. If you get the Z, change it yourself at the front desk. The no smoking rooms are in the G building. And if you can wangle 4th floor or higher, try to get a room with even numbers, which has the better view.

Pia

Traveler50 (Kay)

We are booked on a GCT 15-day Ancient Egypt and The Nile River Cruise in October of this year.

I have very much enjoyed reading your adventures in Egypt. Please email me a copy of your Eygpt slideshow - justcruzin at centurytel dot net. Thank You.

Something strange happened today about my slide shows. The software that I use is called PhotoParade and in the past I just inserted the email at the end of the show to the person I was sending it to. Then the recipient would get notification to download a free viewer and then the show.

Today when I tried to send a slide show a message popped up that they are closing their website and from now on it has to be mailed as a file attachment. The recipient will have to go to PhotoParade website at www.photoparade.com to download the free viewer. The viewer will only be available through the end of 2008. I am so sad because the software is so user friendly and an excellent way to create and send slideshows and it was very reasonably priced too. They did say that the software that we had already purchased could still be used but they just won't provide the email service or have support anymore.

I am explaining this just in case some of the people who have requested the Egypt slideshow get the message from PhotoParade. Evidently this is the first day of the notice from them because it worked as of last night.

That happened to me -- you sent me the link for the Nile cruise but I wasn't able to retrieve the slide show. I was able to download the viewer. Could you send it again as a file attachment? Thanks!

Mary Lou

marylouinohio@hmcltd.net

Sorry it's taken me so long to send out the last few requests for the slide show but I was having problems sending it as an attachment. I have now changed the MP3 music to midi files and that makes a much smaller file size. The music quality of course is not as good as it was with an MP3 but at least it sends easiesr. I didn't realize it made so much difference. I think I have now sent the shows to eveyone that has requested them, including the Machu Picchu request. I will send the Antarctica one out tomorrow after I change the music on that one.

Thanks to everyone for their interest! If there is anyone else that wants me to send a slide show let me know.

Traveler50 - Thanks so much for the Machu Picchu slideshow. I watched it this morning, and it really brought the area alive! You do a great job putting these together!

We are visiting our Aussie friends over the next 4 weeks, and while enjoying ourselves, we also intend to plan our trip for 2009, so will know soon whether we will be going to Egypt or South America next year. I'm ready to go to either!!

Thanks again. Nancy

Traveler 50 (Kay),

Reviewed Part I and II of your Egypt/Nile Cruise slideshow. I was mesmerized through both slideshows. You did a magnificent job of telling your story through photos and the subjects you selected. I want to thank you so much for sharing your wonderful adventure.

I'll be thinking of you when we're on the GCT Egypt October tour.

Carol in Texas

Traveler 50 (Kay),

Reviewed Part I and II of your Egypt/Nile Cruise slideshow. I was mesmerized through both slideshows. You did a magnificent job of telling your story through photos and the subjects you selected. I want to thank you so much for sharing your wonderful adventure.

I'll be thinking of you when we're on the GCT Egypt October tour.

Carol in Texas

Thank you for taking the time to view the show and your comments. I know you will enjoy your time in Egypt with GCT because they have such a great tour. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer if I can.

Where in Texas do you live?

Traveler50 - Thanks so much for the Machu Picchu slideshow. I watched it this morning, and it really brought the area alive! You do a great job putting these together!

We are visiting our Aussie friends over the next 4 weeks, and while enjoying ourselves, we also intend to plan our trip for 2009, so will know soon whether we will be going to Egypt or South America next year. I'm ready to go to either!!

Thanks again. Nancy

Thank you and I appreciate that you took the time to view it.....that was a wonderful trip! Egypt was great too so you will enjoy either one and then you can save the other one for later on.

We are planning on going Australia sometime next year but may do that one on our on. I have been with GCT but my husband has not and we have enough frequent flyer miles to go so hope to get that planned soon. Do your Aussie friends live in the USA or are you going to Australia to visit them?

Thank you and I appreciate that you took the time to view it.....that was a wonderful trip! Egypt was great too so you will enjoy either one and then you can save the other one for later on.

We are planning on going Australia sometime next year but may do that one on our on. I have been with GCT but my husband has not and we have enough frequent flyer miles to go so hope to get that planned soon. Do your Aussie friends live in the USA or are you going to Australia to visit them?

We are doing our Australia trip on our own. Six days in Sydney, an overnight in Ayers Rock, then 2 1/2 weeks with our friends, who live in Cairns. We met them in the States over 30 years ago when they were here on a military exchange, and became fast friends. They have been here numerous times, and we have traveled together a number of times. And finally, we are going their way! We leave next Monday, and can't wait!!

Thanks again for the slideshows. You do a terrific job!

Kay,

Thanks again for a most enjoyable slide show experience in Machu Picchu. We look forward to visiting there.

Mike and Carol, Awesome website! I have added it to my favourites as an inspiration for all the places I have yet to see! Thanks for taking the time to post your link and share your experiences and wonderful photos!

Archived