Nile River cruise review - Long!

soccerref

Thanks banditoo. I am glad you have enjoyed it. I am sure looking forward to adding my Egypt review after our Sept. trip.

And I am looking forward to your Egypt review (and more pictures on your website) after you take that trip too. My husband and I are looking at info for a trip to Egypt for January 2009. I am also looking at possibilities of combining that with a trip into Uganda or Rwanda to see the mountain gorillas while that is still possible.

We are doing our Australia trip on our own. Six days in Sydney, an overnight in Ayers Rock, then 2 1/2 weeks with our friends, who live in Cairns. We met them in the States over 30 years ago when they were here on a military exchange, and became fast friends. They have been here numerous times, and we have traveled together a number of times. And finally, we are going their way! We leave next Monday, and can't wait!!

Thanks again for the slideshows. You do a terrific job!

I would really like to hear from you after you return from the trip because we for sure want to go to Ayers Rock since I didn't get to go there when I went before with GCT. We went to New Zealand & the Fiji Islands instead of the Outback and it was still a 21-day tour. Your itnerary sounds about like what we want to do on our own.... except that we may not go to Cairns since I went there before. Sounds like so much fun to reunite with friends so I know you'll have a great time!

Thanks banditoo. I am glad you have enjoyed it. I am sure looking forward to adding my Egypt review after our Sept. trip.

I agree with banditoo....this is an excellent resource of reviews for future trips or even to reminice about past trips already taken. I like the fact that your website is so organized and user friendly and has pictures along with the reviews. Is this your own personal website that you designed yourself? I think since PhotoParde is closing their website I am going to have to find another way to display and tell the story of our trips. The viewer will only be available through the end of the year on PhotoParade's website and so after that unless the recipient already has the viewer there will not be a way to send the show. So I am in the process of looking around at different options.

Thanks for sharing your adventures with everyone!

Thanks Kay. I hate that your Photo Parade slide shows will not be available after year end. Hopefully you will be able to convert your work into something else.

I did design the website myself and created it in MS FrontPage. It is a very easy web design software to use. It was my first attempt at a website and I was surprised how user friendly the software was. I don't know if your slide shows would be easy to do in it though. But I do hope you can find a way to save your lovely creations.

Yes, I'm also waiting to read those trip reviews as well. :)

I've been home long enough -- I'm ready to go again! Unfortunately I get no more time off until November. :(

So I'll be patiently waiting -- reading these boards, answering questions whenever I can, and dream of floating down the Nile again.... Ahh...... :D

I am sure I will be having some questions before we leave. I just found out that we will be going to the Luxor Light show. I seem to remember people saying that it was better than the pyramid show; but I won't know since we aren't scheduled for the pyramid show.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to this thread and have enjoyed everyone's reviews and comments on their Egyptian tours. I am going on the new Viking Tours (division of Viking River Cruises) Pathways of the Paraohs tour this Nov. I have read such varying stories of the luggage weight issue and I'm convinced it's the luck of the draw as to what happens on the inter Egypt flights. I'm also doing the 5 day extension tour to Jordan and Petra, so the idea of one checked bag of 45 lbs and one carry on bag of 15 lbs isn't very comforting but it seems like a much better iddea that paying extra fees and having to deal with extra bags myself.

We're going to be cruising on the Ryal Lotus on the Nile and the Prince Abbas on Lake Nassar to Abu Simbel. I'm looking forward to cruising up to the monuments.

I have a couple of questions for a travelling companion of mine. She wants to wear sandals on this tour and I'm strongly encouraging her to wear tennis shoes at the least, solid walking shoes preferably. She would also like to know about smoking regulations. we have read that Egyptians are great smokers and do so in many public places. What rules have you found in restaurants and on Nile cruise boats?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post on this board:-))

I have a couple of questions for a travelling companion of mine. She wants to wear sandals on this tour and I'm strongly encouraging her to wear tennis shoes at the least, solid walking shoes preferably. She would also like to know about smoking regulations. we have read that Egyptians are great smokers and do so in many public places. What rules have you found in restaurants and on Nile cruise boats?

Thank you to everyone for taking the time to post on this board:-))

I think you are giving your friend good advice about wearing solid walking shoes because a lot of the ground is uneven on the tours....also, it's hot and dusty. Sandals could probably work if they are the sports type made by Columbia or similar...the kind that have a solid sole more like tennis shoes or hiking shoes. Sandals like flip-flops or open back shoes would make it hard to walk and you would be risking falling.

Smoking on our ship (The Anuket) was only allowed on the upper open deck I believe. I am not a smoker so really didn't pay that much attention. We didn't go to any restaurants so I don't know about there. Our guides were smokers and I saw them smoking but it was always outside.

It sounds like you have a great trip planned....have fun!

Biotech -

My husband and I are planning an Egypt trip in October/November 2009 timeframe. We've almost decided on Maupintour with cruise on the Oberoi Philae but our friends that we'll be traveling with have also been impressed by Viking River Cruises. (They took a Viking trip to China recently.) We'd really like to hear from you when you get back about your experience on Viking. Thanks for helping us decide!

I will be anxious to hear your friends feelings about viking also. We are planning a trip to Egypt too and I have pretty much decided to go with Maupintours too. We have taken 2 Viking Cruises and loved them but have also taken 2 Maupintours and absolutely loved them. one of the things i love about Maupintours is that you stay in the best hotels and when meals are included you can order off the regular menu--it is not a special menu or served buffet style. Their guides have always been excellent and the tours couldn't be better. Almost everything is included without many optional choices. I am not saying that I don't like Viking because we do, but I think Maupin excels when it comes to land based tours.

I will be anxious to hear which company you decide on.

micked10

• 2 weeks later...
Biotech -

My husband and I are planning an Egypt trip in October/November 2009 timeframe. We've almost decided on Maupintour with cruise on the Oberoi Philae but our friends that we'll be traveling with have also been impressed by Viking River Cruises. (They took a Viking trip to China recently.) We'd really like to hear from you when you get back about your experience on Viking. Thanks for helping us decide!

I will be happy to let you know how the Viking Tours trip goes:-) I hadn't heard of Maupintours before, but will check them out.

Would love to see the slideshows. We are going to Egypt in 3 weeks (can't wait). And my sister will be in Antartica at the end of the year.

Thanks for all the info - it makes planning that much easier - and much more exciting and fun!

claudiaquinn@sbcglobal.net

Hi, I just sent you Part I of the slide show by email. Let me know if are able to view it okay!

I just returned from a British Isles cruise and it was a great trip also....with 10 different ports we really saw a lot. I am in the process of downloading the many pictures that I took.

British Isles, huh? Just got back from Ireland, but we took a self drive/B&B tour for 10 days. GReat time except for the roads! Am working on getting my pics uploaded to smugmug!

Traveler50, thanks again for the great slideshows! Can't wait for my GCT tour to Egypt in February! We're also doing the Jordan add on.

British Isles, huh? Just got back from Ireland, but we took a self drive/B&B tour for 10 days. GReat time except for the roads! Am working on getting my pics uploaded to smugmug!

Traveler50, thanks again for the great slideshows! Can't wait for my GCT tour to Egypt in February! We're also doing the Jordan add on.

Maybe our paths crossed paths in Ireland....you just never know! We had 3 ports there....Cork, Dublin & Belfast and we took some wonderful tours that we found out about on Cruise Critic. In Dublin we didn't do a planned tour but just did the HOHO bus tour.

About the slide shows....I was just wondering if you ever got the Antarctica one to work for you? I think it was you that I kept getting it returned because the file was too large??...or maybe that was someone else??.... Anyway, let me know if you want me to try to send it again!

• 1 month later...

Would you please send me a copy of your slideshows too? We are hoping to travel to Egypt in 2010 and I am trying to convince my DH that Antarctica should be on our Bucket List! patyhous@rogers.com

Trying to decide which company to tour Egypt with is very overwhelming. Does anyone have a company that they have used from Canada?

Thanks!

Trying to decide which company to tour Egypt with is very overwhelming. Does anyone have a company that they have used from Canada?

Thanks!

We have used Nile Blue twice and I can't praise them enough. Last Nov was a 48 hour overnight, and then just this Feb we spent 14 days under Nile Blue's care, doing Cairo and a 5 night Nile cruise. Goggle "Nile Blue Tours". Hazem and Ghada, husband and wife, are owners and take great care in providing the best experience for their clients.

• 10 months later...
We just came back on Egypt Air Saturday May 31st.

Pia: We are looking at the same trip May 1-16, 2010 and are concerned about the temperatures. A recent aquaintance was there this past May and said it was very, very hot and humid. When I checked with the lady who is organizing the trip she assured me that this is the "exception" rather than the norm. I love heat if I'm lazing around a pool but sightseeing in extreme heat would kill me. I'd appreciate your input.

We were in Egypt from May 2-16, 2009. It was hot, but not too uncomfortable - as they say, it is a dry heat. Temperatures were in the 80s. Most of the sightseeing was done in the mornings and we arrived back at the hotels for a late lunch, so we avoided the hotter afternoons. Bring along a small battery operated fan - I had one from Walgreens, that I clipped onto my vest.

An advantage to that time of year is no crowds. Our cruise ship had room for 150 and only had about 60 people - a group of 30 from Globus, a group of 12 from Viking, and a couple of groups of 2 (myself and husband included). All the sites were empty or close to it - we actually have pictures of us in front of the temples at Abu Simbel with nobody else in the background - kind of surreal. When we climbed through the Great Pyramid, there were only a handful of people inside - when in King Tut's tomb, it was only the two of us and the mummy.

• 2 months later...

Here we are in 2009 and your slide show is obviously still a big hit. Hope you are still checking the thread. We are heading out next week and would love to see your slide show. Our Egypt adventure is a little different:couple of days before and after in Cairo, 4 day cruise on Lake Nassar and 4 days on the Nile. We are thinking of a day trip to Alexandria so looking forward to those pictures to help finalize our decision. Email is bushpg@hotmail.com

Archived