Doing Laundry in Hawaii

Patriotic Cruiser

Hi!

We're going on RCCL Legend of the Seas 11/21 to Hawaii and I'm wondering if anyone has found/used a convenient laundromat while in port? I've got my hubby and a 12 year old Son travelling with me and I can't afford to do laundry on board, nor can we take enough clothes to last the entire 12 days. Any advice would be appreciated!

No way would I waste my valuable port time doing laundry!!! Take clothing you can wear several days, and if necessary wash out underwear, etc. by hand and hang it in your bathroom. I have done this on ships without a self-service laundry on trips of over 2 weeks and while it is not as convenient as a laundermatt, I was able to do it while at sea and not miss paradise watching my laundry spin around in some strip mall. Most people take way too much clothing anyway...not one will notice if you wear the same outfit 2-3 days on a trip like this.

Frankly, I'd agree with Splinter. I'm not aware of any laundromats that are easily accessible from ports in Lahaina and Honolulu (don't know Kauai, Hilo, and Kona well enough to say whether there's something there or not) - not to mention that you'll be hauling bags of laundry through port.

This might be one of those times that it might be better to spend the money to do the laundry onboard or bring self-washable clothes.

Spleen

A quick perusal of the Maui classified directory does not indicate any self-serve laundry conveniently close to Lahaina's tender dock or Kahului's port.

We're going to go with the "hand wash & hang in bathroom" methodology during our two week cruise this December aboard the Legend of the Seas.

Here's Wor Lad's info:

Did search on 'Kailua Laundromat' and found this

Hele Mai Laundromat

Self Service Laundromat- Drop-Off Service Available, Friendly Attendants always on duty. Large and Small Modern Machines, Fully Maytag Equiped Open 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily .

Address: 75-5629 Kuakini Hwy. Kailua-Kona, Hawaii. 96745

Phone: 808-808-329-3494 E-mail:indycat@hawaii.rr.com ................

Here's the map -

http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result?e...ew=1&name=&qty=

It's about half a mile from where the tenders drop us off.

Patriotic Cruiser: Okay....I couldn't figure out who they were, so I called them. Still have never noticed them before, but I know where they are and a real person answered the phone, so I think you are set!!

Walk up the hill from the pier to the stop light, cross the street still going up (left hand side). On the corner there is a Firestone (on the left). Pass the Firestone, a sushi place, a fish and chips place, an insurance company, etc. She said it was at the opposite end of the Firestone. It is before Kona Brewing Company. So....you might want to stop in for a brew since you'll be right there. And if you happen to be an Elk - you will be just a little ways from the Elk's Lodge.

Emi

Shave ice with your laundry on Maui? This is from a guidebook review in this morning's Honolulu-Star Bulletin....

... local favorite "secrets" that become a hit with visitors, such as those who have sought out W & F Washerette Inc. in Kahului.

"This is as local as it gets," the book tells readers. "It's a laundromat that also happens to serve the best shave ice in Central Maui."

Washerette President Daniel Waki said he greets visitors from Florida, Arizona and other states, "some straight off the airplane."

Waki said he didn't even know he'd been written up until shave-ice craving tourists showed him the Maui book. "Originally we made (shave ice) for customers who come to wash their clothes. I figure we have a captive audience." Now that the shave ice draws non-laundering people from far-flung places, sales are up. Waki also sells propane, bagged ice and other items in the business established by his older brothers in 1965.

Archived