Paris review/recommendations

I'm finishing up a 5 day stay in Paris, and first, I want to thank the people on this board for your information. And, for anyone planning a trip to Paris, here are some things I found helpful:

• Rick Steve's Paris book was like having my own personal tour guide with me. I ended up using his narration in the book instead of the audio guides in the museums or guided tours. I downloaded his audio guides, but didn't use them either. I was able to read at my own pace, repeat the reading, and go in the order I wanted to. I don't know about the other tour guides, but Rick Steve's was perfect for me.
  • I read many web sites and Rick Steve's book before I left. That way I knew the things I'd like to do with some idea of the order. Then when I got to Paris, it made a lot more sense to me - I did most of the things I planned on, but of course, the order was completely different from what I thought I would do. And I decided not to do some of the things. Since I walked all over Monmartre, I decided not to go to the Marais area. I'm sure it's terrific, but I was satisfied with Monmartre.
  • I could only take 1-2 museums in a day. I tried to vary the kinds of things I did. For those of you who are interested, here's what I did each day:
    • Day 1: Isle de Cite walking tour during the day and then the entire evening at the Eiffel Tower. I got to see it during the day and at night. If you are there at night, definitely walk over to the Trocadero for a spectacular view. I went up to the top, and then walked down from the second level. It was fascinating walking down, seeing the views change, and being inside the tower.
    • Day 2: Musee d'Orsay, Arc de Triumph, and walk down Champs Elysees to Tuillers Gardens. I lucked out - at 6:30 each night there is a little parade at Acr de Triumphe with a ceremony lighting the flame and laying down fresh flowers. rick didn't mention this in his book. At least someone told me they have it every night.
    • Day 3: Louvre, boat ride on Seine, picked up a few of the things I didn't get to do in Isle de Cite. Ther Point Neuf boat tour is really close to the Louvre and was a delightful way to ease back into "city" life.
    • Day 4: Rodin Museum, Napolean's Tomb (I skipped the WWI and WWII displays), and spent the rest of the day in Montmartre. I loved strolling through the little streets of Montmarte, eating at the little stores, and wandering through Sacra Couer.
    • Day 5: Versailles for the entire day - I needed to get out of the city.

[*]Read Rick Steve's commentaries - I agree with just about everything he said, so I won't repeat too much of what he says. The Louvre was so huge and overwhelming, I only hit the biggies as Steve suggests: Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus de Milo, and Michael Angelo sculptures. I did see a few other things as I walked through, but I tried to stay focused - I get "museumed out" and then suffer from beauty fatigue.

[*]Definitely get the Museum Pass and read carefully what Steve says or ask questions on how to enter the museums. The only place I stood in line was to climb the Bell Tower at Notre Dame.

[*]I didn't focus too much on eating. I ate when I was hungry at whatever was close. The little patiseries, fruit stands, cheese shops, etc are terrific.

[*]If you are flying into deGaulle (I realize this is a cruise site, but others read the board, too), the Air France bus is as easy as it gets if your hotel is near one of its stops. The first stop after the airport was right in front of my hotel - couldn't get any easier than that.

[*]I used the Metro and RER extensively. I carried my tour book, metro map, and street map with me at all times. I know a few words in French, so I'd ask for help in French, then gererally the person would switch to English. It was obvious I was a lost American and everyone was very nice. With the Metro map I could get anywhere underground, with the street map I walked all over the place and never got lost, and with rick Steve's tour book, I was well informed on what I was seeing.

[*]I used the Rough Guide Paris map. It's plastic coated, so it didn't tear with all of the use I gave it. Any sturdy street map will do. The Metro map on my street map was too small - I used the metro map in the tour book and then I got a big Metro map from the information booth at one of the Metro stations. Someone lent me the Paris City Walks cards, and they were not as detailed in the descriptions as the Rick Steve's book, so I stopped taking the cards with me.

I'm a middle aged woman and traveling alone, but I felt safe the entire time. Everyone was very helpful and I tried to be street smart - I walked with purpose and confidence, used a fanny pack and kept it in the front of me with my hands over the top of it - I didn't want to fall prey to a pick pocket, and from what I hear, they are all over the place. Paris is a big city.

Hope this information is helpful... Happy travels...

Thank you for your detailed review of Paris. We are doing London and Paris before our cruise in 2009. It seems as though you visited all the places we want to see so I appreciate your itinerary and details.I will have my in laws and parents with us (ages 75-79) so I don't think we will cover as much ground as you but it really helps me plan.

Archived