Have You Seen the Maitre'D Enforce the Dress Code?

Fern Crest

It takes maybe 5 minutes to go back to the cabin, put on something acceptable, and come back. Is that too much to ask of a passenger, without infringing on their relaxing vacation?

If they want to eat in a swim suit, they are welcome to at the buffet.

We recently returned from our Miracle cruise where the dress code wasn't enforced at all. We walked in right behind people in shorts and T-shirts for dinner; the hostess looked them up and down but didn't say a word. As it happened, they were seated right next to us. We always dress for dinner because for us, that is part of the fun. We live in Florida and NO ONE dresses for dinner here when they go out. We try not to let it bother us. However, that being said, if there are rules, they are made for a reason. We could go on and on about other "rules" that either are or aren't enforced. It all boils down to how you want to spend your vacation.

As another example of a "rule" not being enforced, on this last cruise our waiter had 4 tables. One table of 7 was consistently late for dinner - and I don't mean a few minutes - we're talking 30 minutes. This made things more difficult for our wait staff because that table wasn't on everyone else's schedule. Our waiter kept apologizing to us, but she was terrific, and our service didn't suffer at all. I could see, though, with a less efficient wait staff, it would have been difficult to keep up with all of the different things - three tables ready for entrees while one table is ordering drinks from the bar waiter, wine, and ordering their meals. Talk about aggravating for the wait staff - if dinner is at 8:15, then it's 8:15, not 8:45 as they seemed to think.

Truthfully I have never seen anyone in violation (if that's what you want to call it) of the dress code......

I personally think all the talk about the dress code on these boards is much to do about nothing;)

I live in the real world:D

Okay, now... you seem to have put your rose colored glasses back on.. :rolleyes:

We recently returned from our Miracle cruise where the dress code wasn't enforced at all. We walked in right behind people in shorts and T-shirts for dinner; the hostess looked them up and down but didn't say a word. As it happened, they were seated right next to us. We always dress for dinner because for us, that is part of the fun. We live in Florida and NO ONE dresses for dinner here when they go out. We try not to let it bother us. However, that being said, if there are rules, they are made for a reason. We could go on and on about other "rules" that either are or aren't enforced. It all boils down to how you want to spend your vacation.

As another example of a "rule" not being enforced, on this last cruise our waiter had 4 tables. One table of 7 was consistently late for dinner - and I don't mean a few minutes - we're talking 30 minutes. This made things more difficult for our wait staff because that table wasn't on everyone else's schedule. Our waiter kept apologizing to us, but she was terrific, and our service didn't suffer at all. I could see, though, with a less efficient wait staff, it would have been difficult to keep up with all of the different things - three tables ready for entrees while one table is ordering drinks from the bar waiter, wine, and ordering their meals. Talk about aggravating for the wait staff - if dinner is at 8:15, then it's 8:15, not 8:45 as they seemed to think.

We had those latecomers a few tables away from us on our last cruise - I saw the looks on the waiter's face and knew they didn't like it but they pasted on smiles and served them anyway. We had 8:30 dining - this family usually showed up about 9pm, very casual dress, with two rude boys who ordered the waitstaff around and an infant that screamed throughout some of the dinners. We tuned them out and enjoyed ourselves but as a former waiter I hate seeing the staff have to work later than scheduled or mess up their routine because these folks thought they could stroll in whenever and treat the staff like crap besides.

I did see the dress code enforced on our first cruise but not since then. I noticed something on the Liberty - don't know if it happens on other Conquest class ships or not. The midship dining room has two entrances - the main one from the atrium and another at the midship elevators. No staff manned that "back" door by the elevators and that's where the people in shorts, bathing suits, tank tops, etc. seemed to congregate and slip into the dining room.

I think a conservative tank wouldnt bother me for breakfast & lunch, but I have to agree with the other poster - if there's armpit hair showing - eeewww- throw something else over it. A light open tropical or cotton shirt that buttons up the front would do and you can slip it off after eating.

I can honestly say that unless something is just way out of line (or way extreme one way or another), I have never noticed what anyone is wearing at dinner on a cruise. I simply have better things to do, and it amazes me how bored people must be to worry this much about what others are doing... I follow the rules because I am a respectful adult who does such, but I refuse to let someone else ruin my cruise because of their clothing... just can't imagine. And, yes my husband and I (we are in our mid 30's wear blue jean shorts - oh the horrors!!)

I can honestly say that unless something is just way out of line (or way extreme one way or another), I have never noticed what anyone is wearing at dinner on a cruise. I simply have better things to do, and it amazes me how bored people must be to worry this much about what others are doing... I follow the rules because I am a respectful adult who does such, but I refuse to let someone else ruin my cruise because of their clothing... just can't imagine. And, yes my husband and I (we are in our mid 30's wear blue jean shorts - oh the horrors!!)

It's not boredom at all, it's called situational awareness.. When you're attending a formal dinner, and someone is wearing shorts, a tank-top and flip-flops; I'm sorry, it's difficult NOT to notice..

Evidently since I have never noticed what some here have..... I must be in the same boat as you:D Enjoying great company and food......hey maybe they ought to sit at our table:p

On our Miracle cruise two years ago there was a lady we called "the chain lady". Her husband had had a dress designed for her that was made of chain mail. In an appropriate setting the dress would have been fine. For a family dining room, it was a bit too much--should I say not enough. She was brought back to her room. She obviously was very comfortable with her body but the dress was inappropriate for the dining room.

Chain mail! :eek: Holy bananas! :eek:

Hee hee ... I dunno ... isn't the air conditioning a little .. er ... chilly for chain mail?

Bet the ship was rockin' that night! :eek:

On our Miracle cruise two years ago there was a lady we called "the chain lady". Her husband had had a dress designed for her that was made of chain mail. In an appropriate setting the dress would have been fine. For a family dining room, it was a bit too much--should I say not enough. She was brought back to her room. She obviously was very comfortable with her body but the dress was inappropriate for the dining room.

What's funny is that there are many on this thread/board that would swear they would not have noticed that... :o

Give me a break!!

About 3 years ago we saw the maitre'D and Host approach a woman. She

had a dress that was cut way to low. If left nothing for the imagination if

you know what I mean. To make a long story short security did get called

and she really made a seen.

But I have seen shorts on formal night and baseball caps, etc but nothing

is every said.

I was disappointed on our recent sailing on the Paradise that the dress code was not enforced a bit -- shorts, tshirts, baseball caps -- these were all in the dining room every night except formal night .

Than you did better than on the Triumph 3/29. They even showed up on formal night. It was the same guys that showed up other nights in swim suit and t-shirt. Even had his towel with him and he came in from the pool area 40 minutes after the start of dinner and nothing was said.

It was so nice on the Granduer, when the Maitre'D anounced after the first night, no caps in the dinning room and non showed up again.

All this threads shows is the lack of consistency in CCL Maitre'd's....which is not a good thing.

I don't like to see people dress like slobs in the dining room at all, but in their defense, if they are allowed to strut in the dining room on one cruise looking like they just rolled out of bed after a bender, and then pack the same clothes for another cruise and are refused entrance, well, that is just not good.

I wish CCL would make rules and just ENFORCE them for goodness sake. I don't even care what the rules are at this point, just please, make them and consistantly, fleet wide, ENFORCE them already.

And what if that person has to be seated next to me during lunch? Guess I can't help having a queasy stomach for that kind of thing. Hopefully they won't be mad when I heave on them in the middle of "their" lunch!:D

and I thought I was fussy!

and BTW how many women do you see with hairy armpits FTLOG???? :rolleyes:

oh and can somone fill me in on what the heck CHAIN MAIL is and how does it relates to clothing???

On our Miracle cruise two years ago there was a lady we called "the chain lady". Her husband had had a dress designed for her that was made of chain mail.

They are (were?) Cruise Critic members, if it's the same people I am thinking of. They wrote here about being told the dress was inappropriate, and posted a picture of the dress.

They are (were?) Cruise Critic members, if it's the same people I am thinking of. They wrote here about being told the dress was inappropriate, and posted a picture of the dress.

Chain Mail??????

PLEASE someone tell me what the heck that is!

And what if that person has to be seated next to me during lunch? Guess I can't help having a queasy stomach for that kind of thing. Hopefully they won't be mad when I heave on them in the middle of "their" lunch!:D

Isn't that kind of your problem though? Some of the women I see in swimsuits on the Lido deck gross me out, but I don't expect them to put something on over their swimsuit. If they are within Carnival's rules I have no right to complain.

So, armpits gross you out? Is your significant other armpitless? If the sight of armpits makes you queasy, intimacy must be pretty difficult. :p

EDIT: Chain mail is a form of armor.

Common chain mail:

http://www.weaponsemporium.com/WE-Chain%20Mail%20Shirt%20&%20Coif.jpg

A dress made out of chain mail:

http://www.sshs57.com/photos/JPEGS/2002Images/07Jul%202002/Jul04%20ORIGINS/Chainmail3a.JPG

:eek:

OK

Thanks for the links

LOL...someone actually wore that on a ship, huh???

I wonder if she were able to pull it off?? (the look, I mean) If so, good for her (I think)

I think the cruise line trys to be as "non-confrontational" as possible. I didn't see them enforce any dress codes in the dining room, and were pretty good at overlooking some people that were "over served" alcohol. All in all, most people followed the rules and the incidents i witnessed were few. I have always followed the rules, but know that there are some that will always test authority. Didn't let it bother me - had a great time on the cruise.

I wish CCL would make rules and just ENFORCE them for goodness sake. I don't even care what the rules are at this point, just please, make them and consistantly, fleet wide, ENFORCE them already.

Thank You!

That is how I feel too.

And if they aren't going to, don't have the rule.

We need to re-focus on the question. Perhapes, we would do better to ask,

Have You Seen the Maitre'D NOT Enforce the Dress Code?

Yes, Venture, I have.

On the three Triumphs I was on in April the Dress Code was a joke. As someone posted photos, shorts showed up even on formal night. On the days we were in ports for late stays, LOTS of people showed up in shorts and even tanks and nothing was said.

Archived