Have You Seen the Maitre'D Enforce the Dress Code?

Fern Crest

We need to re-focus on the question. Perhapes, we would do better to ask,

Have You Seen the Maitre'D NOT Enforce the Dress Code?

I would think anyone who has ever been on a cruise has seen the dress code not being enforced. I've never had dinner on a cruise ship where everyone in the dining room was wearing the suggested attire.

I've got the chain mail dress photo, but can't figure out how to post it, since it's not online. It did indeed come from a CC member who had designed it for his wife. It's backless and totally exposes both legs on the sides, and ALL the way up. I can only imagine the reaction it received!:eek:

but are jeans acceptable at dinner?

also I bought my husband nice shorts that are slacks and I'm wondering if he can wear them to dinner with a nice shirt?

From Carnival's website:

"Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

But if you're cruising in the tropics, you might want to leave the jeans at home -- too hot.

Isn't that kind of your problem though? Some of the women I see in swimsuits on the Lido deck gross me out, but I don't expect them to put something on over their swimsuit. If they are within Carnival's rules I have no right to complain.

I know these women that you are talking about, and some of them should never even put on a swimsuit or at least what they think is a swimsuit, but as long as they are at the pool where they are meant to be, no problem, now when these people start to head to the dining room in them, that is another can of worms..!:)

So, armpits gross you out? Is your significant other armpitless? If the sight of armpits makes you queasy, intimacy must be pretty difficult. :p

DH certainly has armpits, what else would his arms be attached to?:rolleyes: They are just shall we say, "well groomed armpits"!!:D

I know these women that you are talking about' date=' and some of them should never even put on a swimsuit or at least what they think is a swimsuit, but as long as they are at the pool where they are meant to be, no problem, now when these people start to head to the dining room in them, that is another can of worms..!:)

DH certainly has armpits, what else would his arms be attached to?:rolleyes: They are just shall we say, "well groomed armpits"!!:D[/quote']

It seems that in your avatar photo, that very beautiful dress you have on is sleeveless....:confused: only YOUR armpits are acceptable??

And who are you to judge who should wear a swimsuit??

Chain Mail??????

PLEASE someone tell me what the heck that is!

Halos!

There was a poster on CC who had a chain mail dress made for his wife and I believe they were asked to leave the dinning room. My understanding of the situation was that is all she wore.. nothing under it..and its very see through.. I think they were 'alternate lifestyle' cruisers..

And, as you say, FTLOG.. Has the above poster ever wore a sleeveless dress? Or strapless? Should we now condemn someone's back fat?

Or how about a woman that wears the wrong bra for her body type? jeesh!:D

I wear sleeveless dresses all the time... If someone is offended by my armpits, then they are standing way too close to me

It seems that in your avatar photo, that very beautiful dress you have on is sleeveless....:confused: only YOUR armpits are acceptable??

Yes, it's a sleeveless, wedding dress, but it was worn with long gloves. I would never have worn it in the Church without gloves as it would have been inappropriate! To uncovered, disrespectful, just my opinion, I would never have worn a strapless as I see so many do in the Church, but that is their decision. I have strong convictions and beliefs, and no amount of derision will ever change them, so I can take the heat.

Let's be honest, you know as as well as I do, that there are a lot of people in this world that just have no common sense or common decency. I personally don't care to see a good body or a not so good body in a skimpy thong bathing suit or short shorts. Not because I have any hangups about the human body, its a beautiuful

piece of work that God created. I realize there are some younger people and even some older ones that are in really good shape that can wear things that others cannot, but even then, they don't always use good judgement or good taste. I haven't always, I was in the 60's and 70's, I have certainly had my share of fashion disasters, "white knee high boots" "Granny dresses", etc. however, when it comes to covering up in places where there are families and people that you don't know whether you will offend them, it's just a matter of a little respect. And in my personal opinion and "that's all it is,"I don't think a little respect in the dining room for a couple of hours to clean up and act civilized is going to actually destroy anyone's vacation.

From Carnival's website:

But if you're cruising in the tropics, you might want to leave the jeans at home -- too hot.

I have read this alot on the boards and it cracks me up. What does the weather outside have to do with the temperature in the dining room on the ship:confused: If that were the case wouldn't it also be hot to wear suits:confused:

Halos!

There was a poster on CC who had a chain mail dress made for his wife and I believe they were asked to leave the dinning room. My understanding of the situation was that is all she wore.. nothing under it..and its very see through.. I think they were 'alternate lifestyle' cruisers..

Yep it was darkjedi's dw. And as I recall he said she was told to change while they were doing their photos before dinner. Not in the dining room.

I think it is only human nature. You would have to be a total saint to not at one time or another had a opinion about that:p But I don't think it's good judgement to post feelings about that on a message board:cool:

On our Elation cruise last fall there was a gal who I would say was in her late 40's - early 50's who wore sheer blouses with nothing else. We first saw her and her husband when we boarded and our pictures taken. We turned around for the photo and HELLO. Needless to say my son in law and I had big smiles in the photo. She wore several similar outfits through out the cruise. Their pictures were a big hit in the photo gallery.:eek:

Yes' date=' it's a sleeveless, wedding dress, but it was worn with long gloves. I would never have worn it in the Church without gloves as it would have been inappropriate! To uncovered, disrespectful, just my opinion, I would never have worn a strapless as I see so many do in the Church, but that is their decision. I have strong convictions and beliefs, and no amount of derision will ever change them, so I can take the heat.

Let's be honest, you know as as well as I do, that there are a lot of people in this world that just have no common sense or common decency. I personally don't care to see a good body or a not so good body in a skimpy thong bathing suit or short shorts. Not because I have any hangups about the human body, its a beautiuful

piece of work that God created. I realize there are some younger people and even some older ones that are in really good shape that can wear things that others cannot, but even then, they don't always use good judgement or good taste. I haven't always, I was in the 60's and 70's, I have certainly had my share of fashion disasters, "white knee high boots" "Granny dresses", etc. however, when it comes to covering up in places where there are families and people that you don't know whether you will offend them, it's just a matter of a little respect. And in my personal opinion and "that's all it is,"I don't think a little respect in the dining room for a couple of hours to clean up and act civilized is going to actually destroy anyone's vacation.[/quote']

I agree 100% that people should show respect in the dining room.

Where we disagree is that you consider tank tops for lunch on a cruise to be disrespectful and un-civilized. I consider it appropriate and within the rules. The food is casual during the day. The rules even state that you can wear casual clothing during the day.

You say "I don't think a little respect in the dining room for a couple of hours to clean up and act civilized is going to actually destroy anyone's vacation". Well, I don't think sucking it up and dealing with your irrational fear of armpits for 30 minutes at lunch is going to destroy anyone's vacation either.

Yes' date=' it's a sleeveless, wedding dress, but it was worn with long gloves. I would never have worn it in the Church without gloves as it would have been inappropriate! To uncovered, disrespectful, just my opinion, I would never have worn a strapless as I see so many do in the Church, but that is their decision. I have strong convictions and beliefs, and no amount of derision will ever change them, so I can take the heat.

piece of work that God created. I realize there are some younger people and even some older ones that are in really good shape that can wear things that others cannot, but even then, they don't always use good judgement or good taste. I haven't always, I was in the 60's and 70's, I have certainly had my share of fashion disasters, "white knee high boots" "Granny dresses", etc. however, when it comes to covering up in places where there are families and people that you don't know whether you will offend them, it's just a matter of a little respect. And in my personal opinion and "that's all it is,"I don't think a little respect in the dining room for a couple of hours to clean up and act civilized is going to actually destroy anyone's vacation.[/quote']

So..if I wear a halter type gown on formal night, with my arms exposed...You think I need to wear gloves????????????????????????????? Or possibly a shawl or something, because my arms may offend you???

Listen...I promise not to make a judgement on your wearing to-the-elbow gloves if you'll promise to be judgemental about my arms showing.

:confused: arms.....:confused:

and what does church have to do with the dining room on a cruise ship?? I guess I'm not understanding your post....do you really think sleeveless is inappropriate on a cruise vacation in the dining rooom???

If you wore that beautiful dress on a cruise, would you seriously feel the need to wear the gloves??

I agree 100% that people should show respect in the dining room.

Where we disagree is that you consider tank tops for lunch on a cruise to be disrespectful and un-civilized. I consider it appropriate and within the rules. The food is casual during the day. The rules even state that you can wear casual clothing during the day.

You say "I don't think a little respect in the dining room for a couple of hours to clean up and act civilized is going to actually destroy anyone's vacation". Well, I don't think sucking it up and dealing with your irrational fear of armpits for 30 minutes at lunch is going to destroy anyone's vacation either.

I agree.

I call all my sleeveless shirts 'tank tops' but they aren't like men's undershirts for goodness sake. Some of them are nice silk shells...TOTALLY appropriate for the dining room.

AND I think the casual ones (cotton knits) are fine for lunch or breakfast in the dining room as well.

If the request was no sleeveless blouses all day in the dining room, I would abide by that. But...that isn't what they request.

So..if I wear a halter type gown on formal night, with my arms exposed...You think I need to wear gloves????????????????????????????? Ot like a shawl or soemthing, because my arms may offend you???

Listen...I promise not to make a judgement on your wearing to-the-elbow gloves if you'll promise to be judgemental about my arms showing.

It really depends on what your arms look like.. If they're ugly, gloves or a shawl are warranted, if they're sexy, feel free to fully expose them! :D

I think it is only human nature. You would have to be a total saint to not at one time or another had a opinion about that:p But I don't think it's good judgement to post feelings about that on a message board:cool:

Kurb, there are times I feel I don't belong in a swim suit. To be honest, I do not pass judgment on other people's bodies. if I feel myself going there, I change direction.

I do find myself passing judgement on their clothing choices at times...but never the bodies.

I do like to admire nice ones bodies though. :D

It really depends on what your arms look like.. If they're ugly, gloves or a shawl are warranted, if they're sexy, feel free to fully expose them! :D

ok...what if they're between ugly and sexy...somewhere in the middle.

Just average??

Do I cover then 50% :p

Cover just one arm?? :p

So..if I wear a halter type gown on formal night, with my arms exposed...You think I need to wear gloves????????????????????????????? Or possibly a shawl or something, because my arms may offend you???

and what does church have to do with the dining room on a cruise ship?? I guess I'm not understanding your post....do you really think sleeveless is inappropriate on a cruise vacation in the dining rooom???

If you wore that beautiful dress on a cruise, would you seriously feel the need to wear the gloves??

I agree.

I call all my sleeveless shirts 'tank tops' but they aren't like men's undershirts for goodness sake. Some of them are nice silk shells...TOTALLY appropriate for the dining room.

AND I think the casual ones (cotton knits) are fine for lunch or breakfast in the dining room as well.

If the request was no sleeveless blouses all day in the dining room, I would abide by that. But...that isn't what they request.

You were the one that mentioned the sleevless dress in the picture. I just informed you that it was a "Wedding Dress". It was at my wedding, that was in The Church, that was the reason for covering my arms....!:rolleyes: I also wear sleeveless cocktail dresses on cruises, and don't think gloves are necessary! . By all means, there is nothing wrong with women wearing nice sleevless tops, but I still don't care to see men, in the so called Wifebeaters in the dining room. Something really very disguting about asking the guy next to me to pass the butter please, and then have to look at his hairy armpits as he does so!:eek: Bleah...I'm sorry it's just... inappropriate, and that's the last I have to say on the subject.

People are more than welcome to dress and act any way they choose, I can't stop them, but I don't have to be a part of it, and I won't. I have standards that I'm proud of and I won't be lowering them to meet Carnival or anyone else's.

Archived