cabin VA6003 - Westerdam

mithryl

Has anyone stayed in this cabin? It's handicapped accessible and looks much larger than any other VA category cabins. It's in the bow of the ship, so I can't tell how big the balcony actually is...does it wrap around the front or is it the same size as other regular Verdanda's? Can two of the beds be made into a Queen? (I know some handicapped rooms are restricted to twin beds only.) I'm looking at switching to this cabin from my current VD category since 6003 is available right now for my upcoming cruise to Alaska.

We have a friend that would like to join us, so the extra space would be woderful for the three of us.

Thanks,

Has anyone stayed in this cabin? It's handicapped accessible and looks much larger than any other VA category cabins. It's in the bow of the ship, so I can't tell how big the balcony actually is...does it wrap around the front or is it the same size as other regular Verdanda's? Can two of the beds be made into a Queen? (I know some handicapped rooms are restricted to twin beds only.) I'm looking at switching to this cabin from my current VD category since 6003 is available right now for my upcoming cruise to Alaska.

We have a friend that would like to join us, so the extra space would be woderful for the three of us.

Thanks,

While I cannot speak to this specific cabin, I do have a question for you ... do any of the three of you require accessible accommodations? If not, isn't that similar to using handicapped parking because it's closer to the store?

While I cannot speak to this specific cabin, I do have a question for you ... do any of the three of you require accessible accommodations? If not, isn't that similar to using handicapped parking because it's closer to the store?

Wow Camp637,

I wasn't expecting to get slammed for considering this room. Actually, I do have handicapped privledges and choose generally not to use them whenever possible (even for parking) since I know there are others that need it more. That being said, I thought it was a fair question when the sailing is less than 90 days away and no one else has booked this room. There are also many other handicapped accessible rooms still available for this sailing. Sorry if I hit a hot button. It must be a sad world for you to automatically assume that people are out to abuse the system.

If anyone does have experience with the cabin, I'd love your feedback.

Thanks

Wow Camp637,

I wasn't expecting to get slammed for considering this room. Actually, I do have handicapped privledges and choose generally not to use them whenever possible (even for parking) since I know there are others that need it more. That being said, I thought it was a fair question when the sailing is less than 90 days away and no one else has booked this room. There are also many other handicapped accessible rooms still available for this sailing. Sorry if I hit a hot button. It must be a sad world for you to automatically assume that people are out to abuse the system.

Thanks

Not a sad world for me ... I asked a simple question. I did not slam/flame you ... I asked a simple question.

Your statement about lots of room for 3 implied that your interest was based on a desire for additional space.

If you post your question on the Disabled Travelers Board, you'll likely get an accurate assessment of the accommodations.

Appears to me from your response that you do no

need a fully handicapped accessible cabin ! There

are so few available on ships - and to request one just

for the extra space is poor judgement .

Do you require a wheelchair and thus require

the extra space to maneuver in the cabin?

Perhaps you don't understand the reason for the criticism. HAL allows anyone to book these cabins, then won't "bump" if someone restricted to a wheelchair needs the cabin closer to booking time. True, that's HAL's fault, not yours. But, if you you believe that the cruise being only 90 days off changes that picture, I respectfully disagree.

Perhaps more to the point for you, these cabins are not pleasingly configured for those not in wheelchairs. Here are photos from sister ship Oosterdam, the mirror image cabin on the other side of the bow:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1106189283040287513RcPvSn

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1106189234040287513RVubnC

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1106189114040287513IJrchW

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1106189156040287513jCqGAq

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/1106189192040287513DosTsa

There will not be a tub, but a roll in shower.

If you choose to book this cabin solely because of "extra room"...well, it's your karma. BTW - you've spelled the name of ship "Veendam" wrong in your signature. :rolleyes:

Wow Camp637,

Thanks

No one slammed you. They were simply asking a question. Are you feeling guilty perhaps?

You shouldnt take the wheelchair assessable cabin since you "know there are others that need it more" Your own words, by the way.

Wow, can someone ask a question around here without criticism:eek: ?

My husband & I booked a guarantee cabin on the Volendam & received one of the handicapped accessible verandah cabins. We certainly did not need it and were willing to give it up if necessary, but if Mithryl has the right to use it what is the big deal? Sorry mithryl can't help you with the cabin.

I always take the forward cabins on the Vista class ships (above this cabin on Deck 7) because I prefer the location. I can answer the question that it is not bumpy (at least not in normal circumstances).

HC is such a broad term as it could be someone over age 90 or lung cancer etc and just can not walk very far. My understanding is that these cabins are one of the few that will fit a wheelchair, and although not asked, I still think 90 days is too far out to make the request if not using a wheelchair (Their is a shower, no tub, to accommodate the wheelchair).

Thanks,

No cabins are in the very front. I know because a couple of times the door was open and we could walk out there. We were in stateroom 6024. Our room was a VB but I did notice that one of the rooms closer to the front then ours (we were about 8 staterooms from the very front) was much bigger then ours-I saw the door open when a steward was cleaning the room and peeked in.

Now I am not sure if there is a door leading the the front on your side of the ship, but there was one on ours. It was very nice little area overlooking the bow of ths ship, like a little private balcony almost. I joked to this other gal, who was out there when I was, that if I had known I would have just booked an inside on that deck. Later this door was locked. The steward told me it is only open for a little while after embarkatation, once they get out a ways in the ocean it is closed, then the morining of debarkation it is opened again.

It is a nice little spot and there is even a bench out there that you can sit on. but no loungers!

Wow, can someone ask a question around here without criticism:eek: ? ...

Folks, the issue of AB (able bodied people) intentionally booking HC (handicapped or accessible) staterooms to the exclusion of cruisers who can't cruise unless they can book an accessible stateroom is a long standing one, especially on the Disabled Cruisers forum.

The issue, IMO is that the cruise lines themselves do a less than adequate job of reserving the accessible rooms for booking only by qualified passengers. As a result, as exemplified by this thread, innocent AB cruisers who occupy, or who are interested in booking an HC room are viewed by innocent HC cruisers as being, somehow, self centered and selfish.

Conversely, those who would like a larger room and spot one on the cruise line's deck plans, which, incidentally, don't always identify HC rooms as such, and who want a great cruise experience, are innocently asking about such rooms with no reason to even consider that the room might be an HC room.

Let's all do as Momofmeg and Jade13 have already done and reply to the question without ascribing a negative motivation to the inquiry.

Thanks.

Folks, the issue of AB (able bodied people) intentionally booking HC (handicapped or accessible) staterooms to the exclusion of cruisers who can't cruise unless they can book an accessible stateroom is a long standing one, especially on the Disabled Cruisers forum.

The issue, IMO is that the cruise lines themselves do a less than adequate job of reserving the accessible rooms for booking only by qualified passengers. As a result, as exemplified by this thread, innocent AB cruisers who occupy, or who are interested in booking an HC room are viewed by innocent HC cruisers as being, somehow, self centered and selfish.

Conversely, those who would like a larger room and spot one on the cruise line's deck plans, which, incidentally, don't always identify HC rooms as such, and who want a great cruise experience, are innocently asking about such rooms with no reason to even consider that the room might be an HC room.

Let's all do as Momofmeg and Jade13 have already done and reply to the question without ascribing a negative motivation to the inquiry.

Thanks.

I know also that the OP may not realize is the cabin has a shower and not a tub and the bathroom takes up alot of the extra space in order to accomadate a wheelchair.

I also read in another thread, that because of the things done to make it wheelchair accessable, it has taken away from storage for clothing.

There is a thread titled something like "staterooms not to book". The person who had received the wheel chair cabin did not book it but received it on a guarantee and it was supposed to be an upgrade but they did not feel that way about it and said they wished they had just booked a specific cabin instead of a guarantee.

Now I do know at least on my side of deck 6 (even number cabins) that the larger stateroom that I saw the steward cleaning did have a bathtub and a sofa instead of the sette that I had. It also looked as though the closet covered a larger area, so more closet space.

And I also know that 90% of the passengers, whom on seeing it is a HC, would simply have the moral compass to pass it by...not coming to a message board and inquiring about the specificies.

Thanks.

..And I also know that 90% of the passengers, who on seeing that it is a HC. would simply have the moral compass to pass it by..they would not come to a message board inquiring about it.

Thanks.

Cruise lines also do a less than adequate job of policing the dress codes in the dining rooms, yet that does not stop posters here from chiding those who state they want to defy the codes because it's "my vacation and I'll do what I want."

I see this as a much similar issue in terms of posters' responses to the OP.

First, I have stayed in 6003 several times, as my husband is handicapped and in a powerchair. The two forward VA cabins on the Vista ships, 6003 and 6004, are bigger than other HC verandah cabins and provide amble room for his chair to maneuver.

If we cannot get either of those two rooms, and we don't want to pay for an SY, then we will look for another cruise.

In other words, the OP stated "there are other HC rooms still not booked."

Well, that does not justify an ABb person booking the room 3 months out!

Also, these rooms are designed for people with mobility issues. People who are in wheelchairs or who are unable to lift their feet over a threshold. There is a roll-in shower, a higher commode, grab bars. No tub. A ramped entry to the balcony.

They are not designed for every person with a disability per se -- there are no accommodations for a person who is blind, for instance.

As far as "heart conditions" or whatever other justification one may use, let us not forget that 6003 is all the way forward -- a hike from the elevators and other areas of the ship. A person with such a condition would do better to stay midship near an elevator.

HC cabins that are not booked generally do not go empty. They are used to accommodate the GTY pax. And really, there are only 28 HC cabins on a Vista ship, compared to somewhere around 900 for AB folks.

No one has a quarrel with someone who ends up in an HC cabin after booking a GTY. No one has a quarrel with someone who books an HC cabin a month out.

The OP did state that she knows it is an HC cabin, btw.

To answer her question, the balcony is the same size as all the other VA balconies, and it does not wrap around. There is a public deck forward of her cabin, with doors to it from both corridors.

It has been my experience, after sailing many times in 6003 and 6004, that it is extremely windy on the balcony. Most of the time while the ship is sailing, the forward deck doors are locked.

It has also been my experience that the ride is a lot bumpier in the forward cabins than in the midship cabins.

My husband & I booked a guarantee cabin on the Volendam & received one of the handicapped accessible verandah cabins. We certainly did not need it and were willing to give it up if necessary, but if Mithryl has the right to use it what is the big deal? Sorry mithryl can't help you with the cabin.

The difference here is that you booked a GTY and in doing that, you accepted the fact that HAL would assign you to a cabin. It just so happened that they had an HC cabin left in the inventory, and you got it. No one would have a problem with that.

What many people do take issue with is those AB folks who feel they want a bigger cabin and knowingly choose to book an HC cabin for the extra space -- space that was put there to accommodate a wheelchair.

If you want to talk about "rights," think about the "right" of a person in a wheelchair to take a cruise ... and he/she is looking at 28 cabins that he/she can access, while an AB person is looking at about 900.

Thanks.

Thanks Host Walt,

Feel free to shut down this thread whenever you see fit. Seems your comments have fallen on deaf ears. I have the answers I needed and apologize for creating such a stir over such simple questions.

I wish everyone smooth seas and happy sailings. Life's too short for anything less than pure joy and an attitude of gratitude. Whoever you are and whatever your circumstances, I wish you peace, joy, health and happiness.

Vicki

..And I also know that 90% of the passengers, who on seeing that it is a HC. would simply have the moral compass to pass it by..they would not come to a message board inquiring about it.

As someone new to cruising, I would have had no idea that a H/C "accessible" room meant that I should pass it by.

Thanks to the OP for raising the issue. I am 90% sure that you had no idea you would cop a hiding on this forum as you have.

My "moral compass" now points the right way.

:o

Archived