New cruiser question

I am new to the boards and have been lurking for a few weeks now, trying to research cruising. Learning quite a bit of valuable information from all of you and you guys are great! Since my husband has finally talked me into taking our first cruise. We are hoping to cruise in November of this year or early in 2005. After talking to people that I know that have cruised before, I have decided on RCCL. Should we go for a 3, 4 or 5 day cruise? I am sure that we will like it. But, I worry about what if we don't like it. Will a day or two really make that much difference? Would eastern or western Carribean be the best for a first time cruise? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

We took our first cruise last October on the Explorer and 7 days wasn't long enough. You will love it so book for at least 5 days. We went Western Caribbean and will do Eastern this October so I can't tell you which is best. You will have a great time with RCCL.

Kim

I would suggest a longer cruise. A 7 nighter would be great. That way you will know the ship and the personnel aboard. As to where to go? Either is great! Happy sailing!

Bev

Sail On Forever!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for your replies. I was leaning towards five days myself. Since I had already decided that three days wouldn't be enough and had already decided on 4 days, that one day wouldn't make much difference.

doxdogy:

The Western itineraries have a more Mexican flavor, because of Cozumel, etc.

The Eastern are more Caribbean and the cultures have European derived customs, etc., especially the British influenced islands and ports, like Nassau.

As long as it leaves from FL the prices are reasonable. It's when you add on air to San Juan that it can get pricey. HOWEVER, I love the Southern Caribbean islands, and you can only get to those by leaving further south, i.e. San Juan.

Glad you've decided on a longer trip. It takes several days to get over the "we're not in Kansas anymore, Toto" feeling. It's a dazzling experience the first time, because RCI's ships are beauties. So, by the 3rd day you've finally become accustomed to all of it, and can concentrate on your ports of call more. So, having another 3 - 4 days is the best.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Peggy - RCI since 1973

doxdogy,

Would agree with the above. 5 days would be a bare minimun. If you are concerned about not liking cruising, would suggest a larger ship (more activities to keep you entertained). Strongly recommend an itinerary with at least a day or two to enjoy the ship and relax onboard.

Either way, enjoy the experience. You will be hooked!!

Bruce

Agree that 5 days is better than 3 or 4, and 7 is even better!

I would try to book in November, like you mentioned. Better weather in my opinion.

<FONT SIZE=5><FONT FACE="Signature">Christy</FONT></FONT>

Rhapsody Of The Seas - 10/08/00 - Mexican Riviera - Our 7th Anniversary

Radiance Of The Seas - 06/28/03 - Alaska! - My parents 40th Anniversary

Navigator Of The Seas - 10/04/03 - Western Caribbean - Our 10th Anniversary

Archived