St. Petersburg and Moscow

I'm wondering if we should take 1 day out of our 3 days in St. Petersburg and go to Moscow, as Oceania offers. We haven't been to either city. After reading everything that there is to do in St. Petersburg, I'm wondering if we'd be missing too much if we were only there for 2 days. Has anyone done the Moscow trip? Did you like it and was it worthwhile? Thanks.

I am scheduled to go to Moscow on the 2nd of 3 days in St Petersburg via a Seabourn excursion. It's a very long day, but I do not expect to ever see it otherwise and I want to stand in Red Square and look at St Basil's. I think 2 days will be enough for me in StP.

Many cruisers who have done it have advised me not to miss it.

I'm wondering if we should take 1 day out of our 3 days in St. Petersburg and go to Moscow, as Oceania offers. We haven't been to either city. After reading everything that there is to do in St. Petersburg, I'm wondering if we'd be missing too much if we were only there for 2 days. Has anyone done the Moscow trip? Did you like it and was it worthwhile? Thanks.

On these boards a few months back, I raised this same question. I got lots of different pro and con views. The bottom line, however, is that most of those negative to this idea came from those who viewed that there is so much great and wonderful in St. Petersburg, then . . . why reduce your time there? That's an understandable viewpoint!

The biggest backers of doing this challenging day were from people . . . who actually did do this one-day "adventure". Their comments were glowing with terms such "trip of a lifetime", "highlight of the whole cruise", etc. On our cruise line, Crystal, it is a very, very popular option. About 110 to 180 of the about 900 passengers on the ship do this special one day trip. It's not cheap and is taxing of time and energy. BUT, most all of the feed-back has been highly positive. From a friend who did work in the Soviet Union, his feedback was that the key sights and sites of Moscow are fairly close to together. It's a giant city with lots of traffic, but his comment was that you are able to see most of the top things in that one day. We're going and looking forward to it! THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Archived