Labadee vs. Cococay

I've never been to Labadee and would like to. I have been to Coco Cay and LOVED it! It is sooo beautiful. It's so relaxing to be able to sit at the bar on the beach and have some frozen drinks, have some BBQ food and listen to Reggae bands. There is also some good excursions to do...or not! The snorkeling is nice because they feed the fish so there are plenty to see and swim with. We brought an underwater camera and took some really nice pictures of the fish. The jet ski tour was nice as well since the guide dove in a few times and brought up some sea creatures to look at.

Whatever you choose, have a great time!

Hi, we've been to Coco Cay and loved it. Beautiful beach day with lots of things to do and a great cook out. We've never been to Labadee but my brothers have and they rave about it. Great beach day with lots to do and a great cook out. The only difference I get from them is Coco Cay you don't have to walk through shops at any time and in Labadee you do. From what I know of Coco Cay and heard about Labadee either would be great and not a reason to chose 1 over the other, I'd look at some other difference, port of calls, where the ship sails from, price of cruise, ship itself to chose. I know this probably didn't help, sorry. :confused:

Labadee is gorgeous! One of my all-time favorite ports! The scenery is breathtaking, and the beaches on the bay side (facing the ship) are wonderful little coves! (We didn't like the beaches on CocoCay as much - lots of sea grass and the water was way too shallow - perhaps we were in the "wrong" section). The BBQ and the bands are similar to what's available on CocoCay.

The flea market on Labadee can be quite aggressive, however you do not have to walk through it or go anywhere near it unless you want to. Behind the flea market is the fixed-price Artesan's Market, featuring much of the same merchandise without the bargaining.

Which ships are you considering? That may be more of a deciding factor than which private island to visit, as you can't go wrong with either one.

Thanks for your comments, we are deciding between the Libery and the Freedom, the only other differences are that one leaves form Port Canaveral and the other from Miami, and one stops at St. Thomas and the other in San Juan. We prefer St. Thomas to San Juan. but want to make sure we would like the 2 private islands equally.

Have been to both many times I don't believe you can go wrong with either. On Labadee (as above post said) I like the beaches better and more things to sign up do (of course you pay for these). On CoCoCay, the snorkeling is MUCH better, the snorkeling is not very good at Labadee. The jet ski excursion is much better on CoCoCay. They take you over to another island which was used for drug runs years ago. There are huge starfish below you which your guide dives down and gets one and passes it around. You also get to open your jet ski wide open.

Looking forward to trying the zipline at Labadee this time. Food and entertainment is the same.

Again, it's according to what you want to do, don't think one is better just different.

Will be at Labadee a week from today on the Liberty.

Good luck.

Dave

Hi, I've been to both and Labadee is definitely my favorite, but I am older (mid-50's) and don't do any of the water sports. I'm just talking about beaches and layout. Labadee has wonderful separate areas with great beaches and bars to the left of the tender; I've never been to the right where the vendors are, so never had that experience. My experience has always been very laid back on Labadee. Coco Cay is nice but when I was there (a few times but not in the last couple of years) there weren't as many individual beach areas and the chairs were close together with a lot of coral on the beach so you have to wear something to protect your feet from potentially getting cut by the coral when you were walking from your chair into the water. I will say that out of all of the private islands that I've been to (Holland America, Princess and Celebrity/RCCL) my favorite is Labadee!

Because I have to live with my friend Bonnie V. She has me terrified about being candid on which one I liked better. She gets testy with me and starts throwing pictures around on CC posts. It gets ugly...;)

I like them both actually, but they are different. CoCo Cay:D is more developed and has a white, smooth sand. Labadee is more rustic with a grainier, pebblier sand. Less developed with its buildings than say...CoCo Cay:D. The locals in the straw market are pretty agressive at Labadee, but there's no reason that you have to get near there if you don't want to. That said, I have a miniature oil painting I got there that I enjoy in my office. The market at CoCo Cay:D is more laid back. Labadee has some locals that entertain under a little porch near the BBQ place. Both are a great beach day that you're sure to enjoy. I love them both, although I love one a little more:D.

As I say, though, I wouldn't dare express a preference.

Royal Caribbean has its own private beaches and "island" in Labadee. It was one of my favorite islands. It was beautiful with gorgeous beaches and trees. The people and staff there were warm, friendly and welcoming. They had water activities (a massive blow up slide--so much fun, the trampolines in the water, and other fun things in the water...) There was also the zipline and tram as well as a nice BBQ lunch. There was lots to do and it was very relaxing as well.

I have been to both Coco Cay and Labadee. My preference was Coco Cay. I think it is more beautiful and peaceful. When in Labadee we were forever harassed by the locals which put us off the place, In Coco Cay you are in the middle of nowhere with no one else but your fellow passengers. Bliss.

I've been to both, and I think both are great, but I have to go with Labadee as being better than CocoCay. I think the beach and scenery were so much greater than on CocoCay. Also, you have the straw market, dragon's breathe pointe, and the zipline in Labadee. Food, since it was from the ship, was the same.

While I love both Coco Cay and Labadee, each for its own reasons, I feel you should know it is harder to actually GET TO Coco Cay. Ships almost never miss Labadee because the area is more protected. On the other hand, ships often do have to miss Coco Cay because the ocean waves are too rough or the weather is bad.

I've been lucky and made it to Coco Cay four times and have never missed it, but once the waves were so high coming back to the ship that it was very hard to get back on the ship. The other time a huge summer storm blew up around 1:00 PM. We thought we could beat the storm, but as soon as the tender boat was out of Coco Cay's little harbor, lightening started crashing all around and the rain was horizontal. We were soaked by the time we got to the ship, plus it was so scary with that lightening.

So your odds of actually getting to an RCI private island might be better on Labadee, but one never knows.

This is one of the things that played into our decision. Would it be more convenient to take the Freedom from PC or Liberty from Miami and also CocoCay or Labadee. Have been to Labadee and loved it and have not been to CocoCay but would love to try it sometime. There always seems to be lots of decisions to be made about the itinerary.

Well, if you can actually get to Coco Cay, it is well worth the effort. Some things I like about Coco Cay are that it seems to be cooler and breezier than Labadee. Also one is not under pressure from the locals to be giving tips for loungers and every thing.

Coco Cay has a wonderful area well away from their primary beach that has palm trees, Australian pines, deck chairs and hammocks. The shade is dappled with light shining through palm fronds. The water is fabulous jeweled shades of blue. It is so peaceful. True paradise.

Maybe it is just me, but I don't get such a peaceful vibe at Labadee. There was a spot I liked there, but then the Powers That Be in their wisdom built a Zipline that crosses right in front of that area now. It is great fun to watch folks coming down that zipline, but it does take away from what was once tranquil, unspoiled tropical beauty. The Zipline is very popular though and it is a feature Coco Cay cannot offer because that cay is flat.

Because I have to live with my friend Bonnie V. She has me terrified about being candid on which one I liked better. She gets testy with me and starts throwing pictures around on CC posts. It gets ugly...

I like them both actually, but they are different. CoCo Cay is more developed and has a white, smooth sand. Labadee is more rustic with a grainier, pebblier sand. Less developed with its buildings than say...CoCo Cay. The locals in the straw market are pretty agressive at Labadee, but there's no reason that you have to get near there if you don't want to. That said, I have a miniature oil painting I got there that I enjoy in my office. The market at CoCo Cay is more laid back. Labadee has some locals that entertain under a little porch near the BBQ place. Both are a great beach day that you're sure to enjoy. I love them both, although I love one a little more:D.

As I say, though, I wouldn't dare express a preference.

...and WHY wouldn't you dare express a preference? It wouldn't have anything to do with some blonde chick, would it? :confused: A blonde chick who happens to LOVE Labadee and who holds your future cruise plans in the palm of her hand and with the flick of a button could send you and EBQ to the crummy cabins? It wouldn't have anything to do with that now, would it? ;) ;)

But, seriously, I echo your sentiments. I love them both (Coco Cay and Labadee), although I love one a little more....well...maybe a lot more, but I love them both. ;)

...and WHY wouldn't you dare express a preference? It wouldn't have anything to do with some blonde chick, would it? :confused: A blonde chick who happens to LOVE Labadee and who holds your future cruise plans in the palm of her hand and with the flick of a button could send you and EBQ to the crummy cabins? It wouldn't have anything to do with that now, would it? ;)

But, seriously, I echo your sentiments. I love them both (Coco Cay and Labadee), although I love one a little more....well...maybe a lot more, but I love them both.

I think you got it. My life is being run by at least 2 blonde chicks these days. There are worse things you know.:D I wonder which of these fine RCI private islands we're headed to in the way-too-distant-future?

I have to be careful what I say because if I run afoul of you, Mrs. Voyager, I might pay a hefty price. Flash forward to 2010: You and Tom hear a knock at the door of your Balcony Stateroom overlooking CP :cool:. It's us. EBQ and I join you for some prime people watching while we catch you up on what our neighbors are doing down in the crew quarters:eek:.

I think you got it. My life is being run by at least 2 blonde chicks these days. There are worse things you know.:D I wonder which of these fine RCI private islands we're headed to in the way-too-distant-future?

I have to be careful what I say because if I run afoul of you, Mrs. Voyager, I might pay a hefty price. Flash forward to 2010: You and Tom hear a knock at the door of your Balcony Stateroom overlooking CP :cool:. It's us. EBQ and I join you for some prime people watching while we catch you up on what our neighbors are doing down in the crew quarters:eek:.

You think I'm going to upgrade you to the crew quarters? :eek::D

...I was thinking you'd be sharing a room with Henry! ;)

Bonnie and I do this from time to time. Sorry, but we want to give you your thread back now. Hope you all have a great time at either Labadee or CoCo Cay. You can't miss with either. And, in 2010 if you think you see us out arguing on the beach at one or the other of them, it just might be us;)! Our spouses will be the ones just watching.

:D

bingies, I don't know if you've made your decision yet, but you really have a win/win situation. Both ships are pretty much the same so if you say you would prefer St. Thomas, then I would choose that itinerary. Or, if you have a preference for either Miami vs Port Canaveral as a port of embarkation, then choose based on that. But, either choice is going to be AWESOME so don't fret too much over the decision!!! Enjoy! But, do let us know what you end up choosing! ;)

Hi...

Thanks for all of your input. We have decided to go wih the Freedom that sails out of PC and visits St. Thomas and Coco Cay. I know we will love it!!!

They're headed to CoCo. :D Actually, don't look Bonnie. This will be over quickly. Just wanted to show them some pictures.

2396736340039822749S200x200Q85.jpg 2670480530039822749S200x200Q85.jpg 2127783570039822749S200x200Q85.jpg 2452179850039822749S200x200Q85.jpg

Archived