How to handle sea sickness

You will find all sorts of remedies on here. The best thing to remember is to start your 'medication' BEFORE you board the ship. I have found that to make a big difference. I take Kwells before boarding and then I take a phenergan tablet before I go to bed on the ship. I wake up feeling great and no seasickness for the rest of the cruise. The needle you get from the doc onboard is phenergan anyway so you might as well buy your own from the chemist (you don't need a prescription anymore). Some people swear buy the arm bands, ginger tablets, all kinds of remedies. I think it's a case of seeing what works for you. Check with your doctor before you go, that's how I found out about the phenergan as he used to be a ships doctor. The phenergan does make you drowsy if you take it through the day. I only had it for the first night and got a good nights sleep, no nausea!

You will find all sorts of remedies on here. The best thing to remember is to start your 'medication' BEFORE you board the ship. I have found that to make a big difference. I take Kwells before boarding and then I take a phenergan tablet before I go to bed on the ship. I wake up feeling great and no seasickness for the rest of the cruise. The needle you get from the doc onboard is phenergan anyway so you might as well buy your own from the chemist (you don't need a prescription anymore). Some people swear buy the arm bands, ginger tablets, all kinds of remedies. I think it's a case of seeing what works for you. Check with your doctor before you go, that's how I found out about the phenergan as he used to be a ships doctor. The phenergan does make you drowsy if you take it through the day. I only had it for the first night and got a good nights sleep, no nausea!

Hi

Is it alright to take the phenergan more than once Not on same day but on a different night?

Thanks Gail

Hi

Is it alright to take the phenergan more than once Not on same day but on a different night?

Thanks Gail

Yep. I will be giving it to my daughter almost every night. She gets car sick on 5 inutes trips so dont want her getting seasick. Phenergan will be our main form of prevention.

I agree with sunlover..you need to start taking the Kwells

beforehand..we were told by the chemist to start taking

them the night before sailng,as this apparently makes them

even more effective.

Charlie girl.

Not sure on taking the phenergan..I'm sure there will be

dosage info on the product somewhere. If not check

with chemist. (we had Kwells & Stemtil.)

Hi Flightiebel,

Different things work for everyone.

I used phenergan for my daughter the night before and just as we boarded. Then she only needed it every second night.

My husband and I used either one of Stemetil and Travacalm. Usually early evening every second day.

Have you checked our Roll Call lately????

Hope you can join us at the Bengal Bar for a quick meet up before sail away.

See you in 3 days..

Catherine :) :)

Hi everyone

Last time hubby & I went on a ship he was sick for 4 days.

Can anyone give me some hints so I am better prepared for 02may cruise

Thank u :)

Hello, Thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. We find what works for us is Avomine tablets,pack of 30 about $10.95. Start the night before your cruise as late as possible then once every 24 hours until you feel you have your sealegs( which takes me about 2 days.) Then you only need to take them if you know the weathers bad or you are going to go back out in rough seas. Kerrie

My advice..take heaps of ginger..ginger capsules/tablets, get them from chemist before you go or on board. Hate to bring up the same old story again but on Regal Princess last Sept coming over from LA to Sydney to maketh the Pacific Dawn, hit the 40 foot waves off south NZ, felt a bit queasy, took 6 ginger tabs a day for the two rough days, not sick. Had Phenergan on standby, but did not need it.

If you go to ships doctor re sea sickness, they will give you an INJECTION of phenergan for around $100, reclaimable of course on travel insurance.

Sea sickness is terrible, some suffer some don't and different treatments help different people, but take my tip. Only too pleased to help. PS #On rough days I even change my pre dinner beers to a couple of Scotch and DRY GINGER ALES !

Cheers..Herr Doktor Les:cool:

Hello, Thought I'd put my 2 cents worth in. We find what works for us is Avomine tablets,pack of 30 about $10.95. Start the night before your cruise as late as possible then once every 24 hours until you feel you have your sealegs( which takes me about 2 days.) Then you only need to take them if you know the weathers bad or you are going to go back out in rough seas. Kerrie

Absolutely agree!

I have a kwell every day...but they weren't good enough for my sis in law and hubby who were very sick. The Purser on board Pac Star recommended and sold us the AVOMINE. It worked a treat.

If you're not sure that you get sick Kwells is a great place to start...but if you are sure that you will get sick I'd definately also bring Avomine.

Ginger, magnets etc haven't ever worked for me.

I agree with Doktor Les, after 10meter swells and force 11 winds in Feb I just drank the ginger beer I took (from the advise of others on CC). We had the tablets and patches but I thought I would try something more 'natural'. Ginger Beer 'naturally brewed' must have more ginger than ale. Worked for me, I was not upset at all.

Take what you can with you. A few $$ for multipule cures is better than spoiling your holiday.

I am very susceptible to motion sickness. This isn't good for someone who travels a lot and has done so for a few decades.

For the last ten years or more I have used Dramamine and find it very very effective. It is available over the counter from any pharmacy. I gave tablets to a few people on our last cruise and they then felt great, even though one of them had been sick for a couple of days prior to having the Dramamine.

As has been said by others, on the ship they give injections of Phenergan and then sell the passengers Avomine. It would be cheaper to take your own. I keep away from these because they are not as effective as Dramamine and they make me sleepy. I tried Stemitil once. I didn't throw up, but I felt absolutely dreadful and wished I could throw up.

If a person suffers seriously from motion sickness, I think they need more than the herbal (ginger etc.) remedies. Whatever preventive measures you decide to use, take the first tablet before the ship leaves the dock.

My two cents worth.:):)

Archived