San Diego Beach Question

simo

Have a question for you San Diego experts and natives. We are looking to do a beach day on our upcoming 4 day on the MOS. Have been watching the news about the shark attack. Any idea if the beaches will be open again by May 6th? If so, which beach would be the best to spend a day at. We like to mainly just sit and relax. Possibly some water activites. Have never been to Socal. Only the Caribbean. Nor sure how the beaches compare. Things to do, chair rentals, etc,? Any idea on the weather would be great as well. Thanks

The beaches are supposed to be open tomorrow, barring any sighting of any sharks. None have been found so far. Anyway, only the north county beaches have been closed for swimming ( hasn't stopped many surfers from going out). Mission Beach is very popular, has a board walk area with many shops and restaurants, and La Jolla beaches are very nice too. Here is a link that may help you decide where to go.

http://www.sandiego.org/article_set/Visitors/5

I don't know off hand if you can rent beach chairs anywhere, maybe someone else can help with that.

The beaches here are probably different than you are used to in the Caribbean. I've never been there but I have been to Hawaii and beaches here are very different than they are there. This time of year the water is very cold, you won't want to go swimming unless you have a wet suit. It may or may not be sunny when you visit. We have had some very warm weather the last few days, perfect beach weather, but that could change and it could be cloudy at the beach, you just have to watch the weather report.

For water activities, Mission Bay has sailboat, kayak rentals, etc.

http://www.seaforthboatrental.com/

Hope this helps!

Here's the website surfers in this area use: http://www.surfline.com/home/index.cfm

On the left sidebar, click on "Southern California" then "North San Diego" or "South San Diego". Select the beach of interest, it will have surf conditions, weather, water temps, etc.

You will probably want one of the "south" beaches, they are closer to downtown. Solana Beach (where the shark attack occurred) is a North county beach about 35 miles north. FYI, Black's Beach is clothing optional.

I suggest Pacific Beach, check out the Crystal Pier Hotel http://www.crystalpier.com/ Adjacent to Pacific Beach is LaJolla, there's a lot of upscale botiques and eateries...don't miss the pirate cave: http://www.cavestore.com/ Scripps Institute is in LaJolla too, they have an aquarium that's supposed to be good (we still need to drive down there and check it out). Another suggestion is Coronado across the bay from SD. It's home to the Hotel Del Coronado http://www.hoteldel.com/ .

Most beach communities have websites and you can find out about rentals, parking, etc. FYI, I believe most or all beaches in SD County are public. (All beaches in CA are public below the high tide line even if the dry sand is private property!) If the weather is nice, consider driving up Old US101. It goes past a lot of nice beaches and through some beach towns that haven't lost their character despite urban sprawl. If you run out of time or have seen enough, I-5 is parallel to 101, just a few miles inland. It's a quick trip back to SD.

Have fun, PS: I just heard on the news Solano Beach re-opens tomorrow.

Shark attacks in San Diego are VERY rare. You are much more likely to be struck by lightening (which is also rare here) than to be attacked by a shark. I would not hesitate to go into the water at any of our beaches in the summer.

That being said, May is still a little cool for me. I like the water when it is at least 65 degrees, and in May it is still in the 50s. It is NOT the Caribbean or Hawaii. We have a cold, northern current here, and unless you have a wet suit May swimming is pretty cold. This weekend we had hot weather, but the water is still cold. The triathletes who were swimming and attacked were all wearing full wetsuits. I rarely go into the water before Independence Day, when, if we are lucky, the water will be up to 68 degrees. It rarely gets over that.

Also keep in mind that San Diego is famous for "May Gray" and "June Gloom" which is pretty constant overcast cool weather along the coast in those months. You may need a jacket or sweater to go to the beach if we have our typical weather.

You can lay out on the beach anywhere....my personal favorites are Coronado just north of the Hotel del Coronado, or Ocean Beach near the pier. If you do go into the water, stay close to a staffed lifeguard tower. We have many people drown every year because of rip-tides, which are much more dangerous than our sharks.

Thanks for all of the great info. We love these boards. What is the best way to get to the above said beaches? I am not sure where the MOS even docks? Any other good suggestions for what to do in San Diego? Thanks.

Hi, We will be taking a 5 day cruise in Oct. and plan to stay 4 days in San Diego after the cruise. Is the Hyatt Regentcy in Mission Bay a good place to stay. We want to be able to see and do as much as possible in four days but dont want to rent a car, would prefer to use public transportation. Any help and sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a question for you San Diego experts and natives. We are looking to do a beach day on our upcoming 4 day on the MOS. Have been watching the news about the shark attack. Any idea if the beaches will be open again by May 6th? If so, which beach would be the best to spend a day at. We like to mainly just sit and relax. Possibly some water activites. Have never been to Socal. Only the Caribbean. Nor sure how the beaches compare. Things to do, chair rentals, etc,? Any idea on the weather would be great as well. Thanks

You will find the water very, very cold if you are used to the Caribbean! Also, agree that the weather in May and June at the beach can be very iffy. I would choose Coronado; beautiful wide beach, small beach community and you can have a drink at the Hotel Del. Watch out for the aggressive sea gulls.

Eagle, I would not recommend Mission Bay or the Hilton. Except for the beach and Sea World, nothing is close-by and public transportation is not good in that area. I would recommend instead that you consider staying at a hotel in Mission Valley/Hotel Circle or Old Town near a San Diego Trolley station (our light-rail system...there are several quite close), and then plan on getting a 2 day ticket on the Old Town Trolley (commercial tour bus with unlimited on/off privileges).

Hotels you might want to consider include the Old Town Inn (pretty much a motel), the Handlery Hotel, the Town & Country Hotel, the Doubletree at Hazard Center, or the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley.

You can take the SD Trolley to Old Town, Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter and the pier area, and see Coronado, Balboa Park, the Zoo, and a number of other sights on the Old Town Trolley tour. It is close to take a cab to good restaurants in Hillcrest from Mission Valley too.

Having a car is easier, but if you stay closer to the sights and transportation options above you can still see a lot in San Diego.

Simo, there is only one cruise ship pier in San Diego. It is in the Embarcadero area at the foot (west end) of Broadway. If you wanted to go to Coronado the best bet would be to take the passenger ferry across the bay (available about 100 feet south of the cruise ship pier) and then catch the shuttle or city bus from there that goes south on Orange Ave. Ask about this at the ferry ticket office. Get off the bus at the Hotel del Coronado, tour the hotel, then spend some time on the beach north of the hotel. There are also lots of places to eat along Orange Ave. Return the same way.

Hotels you might want to consider include the Old Town Inn (pretty much a motel), the Handlery Hotel, the Town & Country Hotel, the Doubletree at Hazard Center, or the San Diego Marriott Mission Valley.

You can take the SD Trolley to Old Town, Seaport Village and the Gaslamp Quarter and the pier area, and see Coronado, Balboa Park, the Zoo, and a number of other sights on the Old Town Trolley tour. It is close to take a cab to good restaurants in Hillcrest from Mission Valley too.

Having a car is easier, but if you stay closer to the sights and transportation options above you can still see a lot in San Diego

Splinter is correct, I like the Doubletree in Mission Valley, very nice hotel right next to the Hazard Center Trolley stop, convenient to Fashion Valley mall which has shopping and restaurants. You would get there via the Green Line Trolley from Old Town which also is a great tourist spot with several shops and restaurants. Access the trolley and bus info here:

http://sdcommute.com/Services/Default.aspx

A car would make your life so much easier here, California is not known for its mass transit.

...Also keep in mind that San Diego is famous for "May Gray" and "June Gloom" which is pretty constant overcast cool weather along the coast in those months. You may need a jacket or sweater to go to the beach if we have our typical weather...

This is something really to consider. I have seen many a tourist hunkered down on Mission Beach or La Jolla Shores in heavy duty sweats looking very cold.

You will find the water very, very cold if you are used to the Caribbean! ... I would choose Coronado; beautiful wide beach, small beach community and you can have a drink at the Hotel Del. Watch out for the aggressive sea gulls.

Coronado could be the widest beach in the whole county. Very nice beach. Coronado is a bit more quiet than either Mission or Pacific beach.

... We want to be able to see and do as much as possible in four days but dont want to rent a car, would prefer to use public transportation...

Public transport isn't all that great to the beaches. You are pretty much dependent on the buses. I would stay either downtown or in mission valley.

One beach day in SD would either be-

1) Mission Beach - by the boardwalk/plunge.

2) PB at Crystal Pier as previously recommended

3) Coronado - best beach

1&2 are the most lively with other off beach attractions.

Also, are you really dead set against a car? A car in SD makes it much easier to get around to not only go to the beach but see the sights as well.

BTW - It's Solana Beach not Solona Beach. In reality the beaches were never truly closed after the shark attack - just posted recommendations for not going in the water. On Saturday people were out in the water surfing.

Thanks for all of the great info. We love these boards. What is the best way to get to the above said beaches? I am not sure where the MOS even docks? Any other good suggestions for what to do in San Diego? Thanks.

MOS will dock here....

http://live6.truelook.com/face/newface.jsp?func=live&name=/ecodb/sandiego&overlay=default&skin=default&useapplet=true&time=1160791131531&width=640&height=480&quality=65&catalogname=catalog&preset=SEE%20San%20Diego1/Cruise+Ship+Terminal

Hi, Thanks all of you for your help. Which of the two hotels would be the better, Double Tree or Marriott, I work for the Govt. and can get a good rate at both or the Hilton. Any and all help and suggestions is greatfully appreciated.

Personally, I would go with the Doubletree. It is closer to shops and good places to eat. Trophy's is a good sports bar and restaurant, also in the Hazard Center, and the Italian restaurant there (can't remember the name) is also good. There is a Applebee's for breakfast if you don't want to eat in the hotel (which has pretty good food actually). You only have to walk across the street to catch the Trolley, and it is close enough to walk or hop on the Trolley (or see if the hotel has a shuttle) to either Fashion Valley or Mission Valley malls.

Archived