Help with day in Newport

cruisinQ

I just found out that we will have an extra 2 hours in Newport than we had originally thought. We will now be there from 7am - 4pm instead of 7-2. I had planned to reserve a grass tennis court for and hour at 10 and then have a bite to eat before getting back on the ship but now we have those extra 2 hours and I would like to maybe visit a mansion. Is there somewhere to eat over by the mansions? Or is the town small enough to play tennis, go back to the wharf and eat and then go over to the mansions and then back to the ship? Also, which mansion should we visit if we can only visit one?

Or is the town small enough to play tennis, go back to the wharf and eat and then go over to the mansions and then back to the ship?

Newport is compact but being at the tennis hall of fame (THoF) puts you in the general vicinity of the the mansions so no, don't go back to the wharf area to eat.

I thought that THoF offered a light luncheon menu, but I saw nothing on their site. There are some restaurants in the area but no fast foods. So I would suggest when you exit the THoF, cross Bellevue Ave and enter the parking lot directly across from the THoF and walk to the strip mall at the back of the parking lot. Walk towards just right of center of the building and there is a Newport Creamery where you can get burgers, dogs, soups, salads and the like plus very good ice cream :p. http://www.newportcreamery.com/locator.asp

After finishing lunch, walk back to Bellevue Ave and turn right (you'll be walking south on Bellevue Ave).

Since you only will have time to do one mansion, then I would recommend a tour of the Breakers. http://tickets.newportmansions.org/mansion.aspx?id=1000

Continue to walk south on Bellevue Ave until you come to Ruggles Ave; take a left onto Ruggles (you'll be walking east on Ruggles). The Breakers is located at the intersection of Ruggles and Ochre Point Ave.

Expect a waiting like at the Breakers depending on season and the # of cruise ships in port.

Leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the tender dock. The Newport transit buses stop at the Breakers and Salve Regina University which is next door. Here is the link to the inbound bus schedule:

http://www.ripta.com/schedules/view.php

Enjoy your visit to Newport.

SBtS

If you want somewhere good to eat go to the Brick Alley Pub. They do fantastic food and the best Bloody Marys!

I would try and do at least one mansion if you have time. Marble House is lovely, not as big as the Breakers and queues not so long.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Right next to Tennis Hall of Fame is a great pub/restaurant called La Forge. You can eat at a table which overlooks the Hall of Fame. We eat there frequently. Great salads, etc.

The Tennis Hall of Fame is on Bellevue, which is the street with the mansions. You can walk.

So I would recommend after tennis, eat at La Forge (there is also a diner "Annies" a few doors down which has great breakfast food. Newport Creamery is across the steet.). Then walk or take trolley down to Breakers or Marble House or both. Breakers is off Bellevue over a couple of blocks. Well marked. The grounds of Salve Regina Univ are on the way and they have some "mansions" that are part of the Univ.

There are no "eateries" in the mansions (too bad), although The Elms has a sandwich shop.

You can get a nice tourist map at any of the shops to show you where things are.

• 1 month later...

La forge is still there?/ i ate there years ago while in HS. private scholl on Ruggles Ave. yes I done all the homes open then. my dream is too see Hammersmith Farm.

is tennis mopre important than seeing 2 homes and eating..

Archived