Can You Afford To Cruise?

abitaturbodog

This is the first time in many years that my family doesn't have a future cruise already booked. Both my DH and I are in sales and with the economy being so flat, we're just making enough to pay our bills every month.

The rates aren't bad, in fact I've found some good deals. But I just can't spend $ on a vacation when we need it at home. Not having a cruise to look forward to is kinda depressing...:(

Is anyone else feeling the "pinch" like we are?

This is the first time in many years that my family doesn't have a future cruise already booked. Both my DH and I are in sales and with the economy being so flat, we're just making enough to pay our bills every month.

The rates aren't bad, in fact I've found some good deals. But I just can't spend $ on a vacation when we need it at home. Not having a cruise to look forward to is kinda depressing...:(

Do you have any specific plans for your 'economic stimulus' rebate that you should be seeing in a few weeks? ;)

The tax check will probably pay down a credit card...or DS's ER visit last month.

I've thought about booking a short cruise at the last minute in October if the prices drop real low, but since I don't know...it's not the same as having one already paid for to look forward to.

I guess we'll just have to find some fun things locally to do this summer. Maybe if I lay out on our deck and have my DH bring me a foo-foo drink in my Carnival cup it might feel like I'm on a ship!?

I know we should save the money, but we choose to go with our tax stimulus check and some money I'm making from extra classes I am taking. This is our last hurrah before we hopefully get pg (we already had a last hurrah, but since we aren't pg, we're having another hurrah!):D

My DH and I are very blessed. We are retired and can afford to cruise as we are in September to Europe. We also are going to book a cruise to Alaska for 2110. When I retired the one thing I wanted to do was travel, and I intend to just that.

My DH and I are very blessed. We are retired and can afford to cruise as we are in September to Europe. We also are going to book a cruise to Alaska for 2110. When I retired the one thing I wanted to do was travel, and I intend to just that.

I think once the kids are out, affording things becomes a lot easier. When you have a young family, it's often a struggle at times. Our family vacations did not include many cruises when the kids were home. Cheaper land vacations were what we could afford and an occasional fly away vacation...but rarely.

Enjoy your retirement and all the travel!! Our goal is to do the same when we get there...not that we do bad now. :D We're very blessed too and I am extremely grateful.

:eek: 2110!!! What is your secret for that long of a life? Just kidding. I think it is wonderful that you are able to enjoy retirement. I'm sure you worked hard to get there.

I completely understand how you feel. For the past 4 years we have been unable to cruise due to both medical issues that came up and the resulting financial strain. We are just now back to where we are going to get to cruise this fall. For me, the only thing worse than not having a cruise booked, is having to cancel right before final payment like we did a few years ago.

Hope things pick back up and you can schedule one soon.:o

I think once the kids are out, affording things becomes a lot easier. When you have a young family, it's often a struggle at times. Our family vacations did not include many cruises when the kids were home. Cheaper land vacations were what we could afford and an occasional fly away vacation...but rarely.

Enjoy your retirement and all the travel!! Our goal is to do the same when we get there...not that we do bad now. :D We're very blessed too and I am extremely grateful.

That is so true. We had only family vacations and they did not include cruises. My DH and I took our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was the first time we had every taken a vacation alone.

We are very grateful, so lucky to be able to do the things we want and not worry. I hope all will be able to enjoy their retirement as my DH and I do.

The tax check will probably pay down a credit card...or DS's ER visit last month.

I've thought about booking a short cruise at the last minute in October if the prices drop real low, but since I don't know...it's not the same as having one already paid for to look forward to.

I guess we'll just have to find some fun things locally to do this summer. Maybe if I lay out on our deck and have my DH bring me a foo-foo drink in my Carnival cup it might feel like I'm on a ship!?

Yes, the economic situation is pretty bad, however I find that if we book the cruise at least a year in advance and put money away from each and every paycheck it is not bad at all at the end. (You do not have to put aside a lot of money, $50.00 out of each paycheck will do the trick, as long as you do not book a suite or a penthouse).:)

:eek: 2110!!! What is your secret for that long of a life? Just kidding. I think it is wonderful that you are able to enjoy retirement. I'm sure you worked hard to get there.

We did work hard and saved saved saved. Now going to edit:o

That is so true. We had only family vacations and they did not include cruises. My DH and I took our first cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. It was the first time we had every taken a vacation alone.

We are very grateful, so lucky to be able to do the things we want and not worry. I hope all will be able to enjoy their retirement as my DH and I do.

Thanks!! We have about 15 years for that yet (I hope only 15!! :eek: You know what they say about making plans....) anyway, I am eyeing up all those world cruises all the time. :D :D

I could do a month on a ship!!!

One way that I have found it "easier" to afford a cruise is to try and book with a group during the reduced rate period. For our family of four it is much easier to put down $25 per person and pay a little each paycheck. Since we book 2 cabins instead of a quad, it works for us.

I feel your pain. We were going to pay off our roof with the stimilus check...but then we thought well why don't we use it towards the cruise...

We usually book about a year in advance and pay our deposit and then just set aside a certain amount each month. Usually 30-50 dollars and somehow it gets paid off.

It's just booking the airfare, hotel that tacks on all that extra $

This is the first time in many years that my family doesn't have a future cruise already booked.

When we booked Splendor we booked it over 750 days away. What I'm trying to say, start planning for future cruises. Conditions are bad today but I'm sure they will get better later. So if you do your math, figure out how much cash you will need to save monthly to book something out in 2010.

Starting in May if you can put away 200.00 a month into your savings, in 2 years that 4800.00. Also since you have a retail business, you should be using a SeaMiles Credit card to start earning those Cruise points. Redeeming 50,000 points for 500.00 discount isn't too hard to do especially if you own a business.

American Express has a business 5% cash back card. That can also help save and pay for that 2010 cruise.

Fred

We have enough to cruise, but with all the talk of the economy, it does make one wonder if we should stash the money away instead. We are fortunate not to have much debt - mortgage and van payment, no credit card debt. And we save for our vacations throughout the year with direct deposit to savings. We are looking to do an addition to our house - and of course on Friday we find out that our central air is out. So, I may be cruising, but with a smaller house. As for the economic stimulus, I was hoping to stash it in savings or a roth IRA; however, I may be stimulating the heating and air industry instead...

Money is definately tight... We are booking for 2009 using the stimulus check to put the down payment down.. gives us over a year to pay off the cruise. This was the only way we could squeeze it in. Its hard for sure. I sympathize with you.

Thanks!! We have about 15 years for that yet (I hope only 15!! :eek: You know what they say about making plans....) anyway, I am eyeing up all those world cruises all the time. :D :D

I could do a month on a ship!!!

I could do a month too, but DH would/could not. He has to be on dry land for a period of time to fish and golf. He is not the traveler that I am but does go with me when the trip is to his liking. Although he is not excited about this trip to Europe. I do think he will enjoy the trip once we go but he just does not get exited about cruises like I do. Ask him about his fishing trip and he is :p , but not this cruise. Oh well, I am excited enough for the both of us :D When I book the cruise to Alaska, which to be honest I am only doing because he let me drag (his words) him to Europe. I just never thought Alaska was a place that would be fun to cruise to. But everyone says it is a great vacation.

Keep dreaming about those cruises, you are going to have a wonderful retirement. Time goes by so fast, it will be here before you know it.

Yes, the economic situation is pretty bad, however I find that if we book the cruise at least a year in advance and put money away from each and every paycheck it is not bad at all at the end. (You do not have to put aside a lot of money, $50.00 out of each paycheck will do the trick, as long as you do not book a suite or a penthouse).:)

Good idea! I think I'll look into this!

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and encouragement!:D

Money is tight right now - but actually not as tight as it's been in the past. We're lucky in that we do not own our own home right now, and pay one bill to our landlord for both rent and utilities. The main variable is gas prices. I'm also doing my best to try to plan as many group cruises as possible (with DH and I as group leaders) - that way we pay significantly less to cruise as well.

We went quite a few years between cruises when the money simply was not there for us to go away.

I'm generally a saver but I feel like the stimulus money has a purpose.....and that is to try and stimulate the economy. Therefore I think it should be spent. My concern about planning a cruise too far down the road is what will the fuel surcharge be and what will airline tickets cost. The closest port is 1950 miles away and I'm not much for road trips. Not knowing what might happen to the economy in the next year I'm gun shy on booking a cruise right now. Therefore we are spending our stimulus check on some remodeling at home.

Archived