Can You Afford To Cruise?

abitaturbodog

Cool, Im due for a new car because my 95 Probe will probably won't pass Smog next year. So I'm looking at a used Honda Accord Hybrid or a used Camry Hybrid.

Thanks

Fred

I don't know about the Hondas, but 07 was the first year for the Camrys so don't know how plentiful they are used. It's really a great car as far as ride and they load lots of extras on as incentive to buy the hybrid - great stereo, bluetooth controls in the steering wheel if you're into that kind of thing, you can get built in GPS (although mine doesn't have it.) Takes a while to get used to the keyless ignition and the sinking feeling you have at first when you hear you car cut off at a stop sign - my gut reaction was "oh, no - the car stalled" but you get used to it pretty quickly. Only downside is you lose a little trunk space and don't have fully foldable back seats for cargo due to the battery packs. We don't have kids so the trunk is plenty big for us. I originally thought the Camry was slightly out of my price range, but my employer gives $3000 to employees who buy a Hybrid car so that brough it in line with other non hybrids. With what the price of gas has done recently - I'm really glad I took the plunge on the hybrid when I did!:D

We are very fortunate to be debt free, but even still with gas groceries and saving for taxes things are getting tighter. Every time I think about buying something I think I could spend that money on a cruise.

We cruise because I think it's the one vacation where you truly get waited on, and you get more bang for the buck. I'm hoping we get the $1,200 for couples stimulus check as that will pay the largest portion of our cruise in 1/2009. DH works overtime every week and we set that money aside for our cruises. We don't eat out, we don't buy coffee out, DH comes home for lunch everyday, and we save as much as we can. No bills, no CC payments, no car payments, and kids are gone. Life is good.

"Somebody should tell us, right at the start of our lives,

that we are dying. Then we might live life to the limit,

every minute of every day. Do it! Whatever you

want to do, do it now! There are only so many tomorrows."

Pope Paul VI

We have not been on a cruise for awhile because we are supporting three households, I live in Ohio, my husband took a job in Texas last year and we are paying for my daughter's apartment and some of her expenses in college.

I might just have to use that tax check for a cruise at the end of the year.

I don't know about the Hondas, but 07 was the first year for the Camrys so don't know how plentiful they are used. It's really a great car as far as ride and they load lots of extras on as incentive to buy the hybrid - great stereo, bluetooth controls in the steering wheel if you're into that kind of thing, you can get built in GPS (although mine doesn't have it.) Takes a while to get used to the keyless ignition and the sinking feeling you have at first when you hear you car cut off at a stop sign - my gut reaction was "oh, no - the car stalled" but you get used to it pretty quickly. Only downside is you lose a little trunk space and don't have fully foldable back seats for cargo due to the battery packs. We don't have kids so the trunk is plenty big for us. I originally thought the Camry was slightly out of my price range, but my employer gives $3000 to employees who buy a Hybrid car so that brough it in line with other non hybrids. With what the price of gas has done recently - I'm really glad I took the plunge on the hybrid when I did!:D

Thats good to know since we have a place in Vegas and will be commuting with the 2 beagles back and forth from San Diego almost once a month.

Thanks

Fred

Can't agree more with this. My DW and I are empty nester's for the past couple of years and the funds for cruising always seem to be available now. I never realized how much money I actually spent on them even after they were older with part time jobs themselves. I just took my DD off the car insurance and it dropped by over $600.

Same here. Hmmmmmm I still got the youngest on. I'f I drop her I can do another 7 day cruise.

This is the first time in many years that my family doesn't have a future cruise already booked. Both my DH and I are in sales and with the economy being so flat, we're just making enough to pay our bills every month.

The rates aren't bad, in fact I've found some good deals. But I just can't spend $ on a vacation when we need it at home. Not having a cruise to look forward to is kinda depressing...:(

Is anyone else feeling the "pinch" like we are?

I can't book a New Years cruise for 09. 08 will be my last. I booked a January 2010 for 1/2 the price I would have paid for New Years. It also looks like no cruise for this summer. I use to do a quick fix 5 day in August but as it looks now I don;t think so

I took a part time job so we could do 2 if not 3 cruises next year. It is only 16 hours a week so I can handle it. Now with the extra money from the state coming it will be alot easier to do that 3rd cruise with our son and his gf I want to plan for 09.

Fed Tax Incentive checks were in the mail or direct deposit today, did anyone get theirs?

Not yet, but I kinda thought it might show up in my account today, since my SSN ends in 02. According to the info on the web site, mine should be one of the first.

Keeping out of debt has allowed us to cruise, and it is still for us the best bang for the buck, and we can drive to many ports. I was a tight wad before the economy went loopy.

One thing I do is give myself a cash allowance every week, at the end of the week any left goes in a tin, with this system we have our spending money for the next cruise taken care of.

We also do an automatic transfer to savings every paycheck (pay yourself first!) even a little bit adds up, so even if the budget is tight most people can squeeze $25 out of each paycheck, we shoot for as much as possible and leave very little in the checking, it disappears faster there than in savings.

We shop frugally, and cook from scratch, and yes we do eat out but it is budgeted!

MAC

Not yet, but I kinda thought it might show up in my account today, since my SSN ends in 02. According to the info on the web site, mine should be one of the first.

Check on Friday - IRS direct deposits almost always go in on Fridays - at least for regular tax returns.

Mine is due next week. :D

One way that I have found it "easier" to afford a cruise is to try and book with a group during the reduced rate period. For our family of four it is much easier to put down $25 per person and pay a little each paycheck.

This is also the way we cruise. I book our family in my agency's group cruises. You cant beat those prices!

Example: $300 1st and 2nd TOTAL (cruise rate, port charges, FUEL fees, and taxes) and $195 3rd-4th persons with prepaid gratuities 5 night cruise..

As far as vacations, we know how important it is to have family vacations when we can afford them. And cruises are the most affordable for us with 3 kids. We just went to Disney for a week (our family of 5, mom, and son's friend). We got military rate on the tickets, stayed offsite but we are BROKE from paying for meals for 7 people. Since meals are included in a cruise, it is way more affordable for us than a land vacation.

One way that I have found it "easier" to afford a cruise is to try and book with a group during the reduced rate period. For our family of four it is much easier to put down $25 per person and pay a little each paycheck. Since we book 2 cabins instead of a quad, it works for us.

Just curious, where/how do you book so that you only have to pay $25 down?

I bit the bullet..........I used the excuse that my son was graduating from college.

Then I used the exucse that I could use airline miles for the next cruise and I found super good deal on a cruise.

I save X amount of dollars out of each paycheck. I work an extra job here and there. Why? It all goes directly into my cruise account.

So, it's all paid for before I go. I never put it on a card.

I'm thoroughly, hopelessly hooked.

Vacations are a must-do! Have to decompress. We decided years ago that two car payments was not a good way to spend money. So my wife drives the newer car, and I always drive one we pay cash for because I do most of the driving. I do all the car maintenance and have been lucky enough to do all my own repairs. That $300-500 a month got us debt free quick, and we pay cash for vacations now.

Thankfully I have worked for the government for the past twenty years so the current economy doesn't affect me much. I still plan on cruising three times this year along with some other land based vacations. I could have made more money working for the private sector but at times like this i am glad I chose civil service.

Luckly where I work there is always OT for my job. So I simply set up that 5% of my check goes into one account and that is our cruise money. I know how my monthly bills are are make sure there is enough to pay the bills, anything else gets spent on what ever but there is always cruise money. also helped i had a lucky pick of a good stock to buy. This year is a cat 11 aft wrap.

I dont make alot of money ( 8.25 an hour ). However, I will not go without taking my cruise vacations. I just dont go out and eat, spend too much on other things. Only the things I absolutly need, nothing that I want.

We are going in 10 days on a 7day Glory Eastern trip. When we get back we are going to book a 4 day on an RCI ship, plus my extral IRS check is going to my half of the deposit on my European cruise in 2009.

After my bills, I pay CCL $200 every check ( 2week check ) It will be paid off in mid to late November. Then we have until early May for spending money and shore excursions. We should have around 3000 to actually spend while there.

It takes a little work but it can be done.

Remember, WORK TO LIVE, not LIVE TO WORK.

Tim

Update: Direct deposit arrived overnight, so it's there now. Ta-Da!! :D

Interesting thread....my DH and I are just the two of us and we make decent money but the last year or so has been a big change as everyone knows. Cost of everything is sky high and we live in an area of the US that we have heating bills 7-8 months out of the year.

Also, I think everyone is concerned about their job, no matter what field you are in and for us, we would rather save our money just in "case." 401K's are not doing well and neither is anything else...but, we did not do a cruise this year and emotionally and physically, we really should have. My work (accountant) and my DH has been nuts and haven't had a vacation together in over a year. I too, had a small medical issue last summer, so that meant no fun and vacation (medical leave) over the summer.

Also, with the cost of airfare, hotels, etc., the cost of a cruise is becoming signficant but know it's the best bang for the buck. I am a balcony snob and would rather go every other year than go cheaper with an inside cabin. Also, with the cost of airfare from Maine, we typically stay a couple of days pre and one post. So, it's $3K without batting an eye.

Archived