Getting Florints in Budapest?

azkitty

:confused: Our river cruise on Avalon ends in Budapest and we have planned for 2 extra nights in Budapest. Are there ATMs near the docking area or anywhere we can get Florints? Should I try to buy some here before leaving so we can at least pay for transportation to our hotel?

I have heard recent horror stories on the high prices in Europe. I hope Budapest will be less. I have a small, highly recommended, hotel/pensione booked in a central area at a good price. A big breakfast is included and we don't plan on big expensive meals. We are light eaters anyway and like to eat where the locals go.

Has anyone taken the train out to that thermal lake where the temp is always between 80 - 90 deg? It sounds interesting.

:confused: Our river cruise on Avalon ends in Budapest and we have planned for 2 extra nights in Budapest. Are there ATMs near the docking area or anywhere we can get Florints? Should I try to buy some here before leaving so we can at least pay for transportation to our hotel?

I have heard recent horror stories on the high prices in Europe. I hope Budapest will be less. I have a small, highly recommended, hotel/pensione booked in a central area at a good price. A big breakfast is included and we don't plan on big expensive meals. We are light eaters anyway and like to eat where the locals go.

Has anyone taken the train out to that thermal lake where the temp is always between 80 - 90 deg? It sounds interesting.

Azkitty - If your trip is more than a month away I would try to get some Hungarian Forints from you bank. If the US dollar continues to devalue the rising value of your Forints will offset any fees you pay.

I added a reply to you to my Budapest thread which will bring it up to the current page so you do not need to search for it. It will give details about the baths and other fun things in Budapest.

WIT

Hi Wit,

We are considering extending our river cruise in Budapest and would be interested in your insights.

Suico - We have started two Danube cruises in Budapest. One could easily spend a few extra days there. If you like the arts, the State Opera is a great experience at a modest cost (one must reserve tickets by Internet a few months in advance - they sell out). If you like to walk through a city you will find the Magyar capitol easy and interesting - lots of parks and squares.

Take a look at my photos and video clips or our Christmas Markets and Black Sea Discovery at:

http://picasaweb.google.com/billwitowski

My full posting about cruising from Budapest is at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=645975

Take a look and feel free to ask any questions.

WIT

I recall from the fall of 2005 that ATM's were readily available. We were also there in '04 and I do not recall any problems getting florints. I do not recall going into any bank to do so. I assume then that ATM's were also available then. Budapest is a nice city. The three subway lines will take you to most places you want to go. Watch the taxi drivers. Some will cheat you, given half a chance. There was a transfer service that would take you to any central hotel from the airport, and pick you up another day for your departure.

Pay attention to WIT. The opera is great and inexpensive, but you must book early. You can find the site easily and it will take you to "Jurgeymaster" or similar spelling. There you will find a very good site for tickets.

Don't miss "Geubard"s" (spelling?) for pastries. There is also a beer café on a lower level.

The central subway goes from "Geubard's" out to and past Hero's Square witch includes a very nice museum. There are good half day bus tours to the Buda side. Your hotel should tell you about these things. I assume your hotel is on the Pest side. If not, you probably want to change to the Pest side.

Bob :cool:

There are ATMs just down the street from the big market. We got 10,000 Florents which seemed to go a long way. We got some great bargains at the market, lots of stuff for us, our friends and family. Buck

On our Avalon cruise we docked very close to the Central Market.I also recall several ATM's on Vaci Ute which is the main shopping street and the street that leads to the central market. Our cruise director had maps available for every city upon docking with important things marked on the map like ATM's and WC! Budapest is a fascinating city and although we spent 4 days I would love to go back as there was still a lot to see.

Bob,

We are arriving in Budapest to stay at the Kampinski one day ahead of when our river cruise starts. How do I arrange the transfer to the hotel?

Also, do most restaurants take Visa, or should I get local money?

Vicky:confused:

There is a shuttle bus from the airport that is very reliable and a great price and goes to all the hotels.Also we had no problems using our Visa card at restaurants but we did get some Florints to spend at the central market and for post cards, pastries etc.

Bob,

We are arriving in Budapest to stay at the Kampinski one day ahead of when our river cruise starts. How do I arrange the transfer to the hotel?

Also, do most restaurants take Visa, or should I get local money?

Vicky:confused:

As letsgo39 says, there is a shuttle from the airport. We took one from the airport to our hotel and then back to the airport from the hotel in 2004. The one we had was a large van, holding 10 or 12 passengers. So there were not a large number of stops. As I recall, van tickets were sold at a counter just a bit inside from a terminal exit door. This would be after you retrieved your luggage in an interior room. You can buy round trip (as do the Brits, they may be termed return tickets) at that counter. I recall the return pickup to the airport was very prompt.

If you want to spent more for extra convenience, the Kempinski Hotel may have an arrangement for limo pickups.

As for credit cards, I think both Visa and Mastercard are accepted at most places. I believe Mastercard was the preferred at one time because of its connection with a European credit card, but now I think both are widely accepted. You will want a few florints, however, for small cafés and shops.There seems a trend worldwide for many hotels to charge not much more than ATM's for local currency. Since you are only there one day, your hotel may be as good as an ATM. Remember that your USA bank will charge for an ATM withdrawal. Check the exchange rate before you leave and you will know which option to use.

As are many European cities, Budapest is beautiful. If you can do so without penalty, stay three nights. The Kempinski is close to Geubards. Go for outstanding pastries. If you have the energy and time, the New York Café is the most beautiful of any we have seen. You are probably about one and one half miles from there. We went there in 1991 because we had read of it in Frommer's, and it was well worth the trip. It was closed for several years due to it's building being purchased and renovated for a five star hotel. I believe the café was left as it was, however.

There is a good museum in Hero's Park. The central line subway will get you almost to the front door. The central line starts at Geubards, and also goes to the State Opera House.

Someone mentioned that taxis take credit cards. I am not sure, but I think only a few do so. In any case, get your hotel to book a taxi, with a set price. We have not had problems with pickpockets in Budapest, but they must be there. In summer Italy is over-run with Gypsy kids who operate in groups. There are a lot of Gypsies in neighboring Romania.

If your boat has only pay tours in Vienna, I would skip them and go on your own. Take a subway and walk from St. Stephen's to anywhere. Also, the State Opera House in Vienna is one of the best in the world. If the boat overnights in Vienna, book a performance there, if only to see the building. If you do so, book early from home. If your night has a great opera, they may sell out.

Have a great trip.

Bob :p

Thank so much for the great advice. The shuttle sounds more reasonable than a taxi. I also appreciate the advice about things to see in Budapest. We are staying for one night before joining the Amadaus tour. We took off the land part of the river cruise, so we only have one night in Budapest.

Vicky

Archived