American Airlines Announces $25 charge for second bag

RevNeal

Beginning May 12, American Airlines will begin charging $25 for a second checked bag. This applies to all Domestic Economy tickets purchased on or after May 12. See HERE for details.

Here are the rates:

For flights within the United States the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Canada:

$25 for the second checked piece. Exceptions apply

$100 per piece for the 3rd, 4th and 5th checked bags

$200 per piece for the 6th checked bag and any additional pieces

Here are the exceptions:

The following customers will not be charged a service fee to check a second bag provided the second bag is within the weight allowance:

Customers who buy a ticket before May 12, 2008, or who fly before May 12, 2008

Customers traveling on an international itinerary to destinations beyond the U.S., the U.S. Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico, or Canada

Customers who purchase full-fare tickets in Economy Class

Customers who have purchased Business or First Class tickets

Customers flying on AA codeshare flights not operated by American Airlines, American Eagle or AmericanConnection® on a ticket purchased through American

Customers traveling on connecting flights where the first leg of the itinerary is not operated by American

Customers traveling on government or military fares

Military passengers on active duty

AAdvantage Executive Platinum®, AAdvantage Platinum® or AAdvantage Gold® members

oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby members

Customers flying on the same reservation as an AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum or AAdvantage Gold member or oneworld Alliance Emerald, Sapphire or Ruby member regardless of frequent flier status or fare type (not applicable to group bookings)

AAnytime® Economy Class AAdvantage award tickets, MileSAAver(SM) or AAnytime First and Business Class AAdvantage award tickets

First and Business Class upgrades confirmed prior to check in

AAirpass travel

I will achieve Gold Status with my flight to Amsterdam this June 29th, so these charges will not impact me any time soon. :)

Still ... bummer.

I think Jet Blue is charging $20 for second bag. I'd rather bring the second bag and pay the $40 for roundtrip than bring one bag that probably would go overweight. The overweight/oversize bag charges are usually higher, aren't they?

Does the charge apply on a certain start date regardless of when the tickets were purchased? We purchased our tickets for FLL before Jet Blue announced the charge.....will we be subject to it? I couldn't find info on their site answering that.

Because the "helpful" HAL board monitors moved this thread I lost track of it and now no one will see it.

They didn't move the Canada Air thread or the other threads that deal with this one ... why just this one??

Archived