What do men wear on casual nights?

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this thread. We're going on our first cruise in a week and a half, and I've been wondering about this. With doing my research on Carnivals website, I found that they say that long shorts are acceptable attire in the dining room during casual evenings. Everywhere else states the contrary. My DH would probably not even consider shorts during dinner. It's my DS that I'm worried about.

With doing my research on Carnivals website, I found that they say that long shorts are acceptable attire in the dining room during casual evenings. Everywhere else states the contrary. .

Carnival recently revamped its dress code, so it's possible this is a new change. If the cruise company website says it's ok, then those are the rules to go by;)

When you say "everywhere else", do you mean elsewhere on the Carnival website? Or places like this message board? The cruise line itself will always trump what people on the message board say. Except when the cruise line screws up and says something that's not correct (which, granted, tends to happen more on the phone than on the website)

Anyway--you can let your son wear long shorts on casual night, if the cruiseline says it's acceptable dress for the dining room. Or you can insist that your son (whose ticket you're paying for?) wear clothing you wish him to wear. Or he doesn't have to dine with you in the dining room....

When I was growing up, and my parents brought me along on trips with them (including my first cruise, to Alaska on HAL when I was 13) I darn well wore what they told me to wear and behaved as they told me to! It was an explicit rule that when I paid my own way, I could do what I wanted, but until then....

When you say "everywhere else", do you mean elsewhere on the Carnival website? Or places like this message board? The cruise line itself will always trump what people on the message board say. Except when the cruise line screws up and says something that's not correct (which, granted, tends to happen more on the phone than on the website)

Anyway--you can let your son wear long shorts on casual night, if the cruiseline says it's acceptable dress for the dining room. Or you can insist that your son (whose ticket you're paying for?) wear clothing you wish him to wear. Or he doesn't have to dine with you in the dining room....

I had read it on this website as well as a few others that shorts were not allowed on casual nights. When I talked to him last night, he said that he does have a couple of pairs of khakis and a pair of black slacks, so he will be just fine. When we get on the ship, if he finds that it is acceptable to wear shorts, then the decision is up to him.

Technically, he did pay for his cruise ticket. He's nearly 21 and married, but since he's my youngest son, he still needs a lot of guidance when it comes to this sort of thing. Unfortunately, he's not always willing to listen to his DW's advice. They've only been married for 2 months.

We will be cruising with a group from church, so we will be eating in the dining room as a group. He really does need to eat with us, because other than dinner time, we will only be meeting as a group 3 other times. If this were not the case, I would agree with you totally about him not having to dine with us.

My DH will wear Dockers pants and as others mentioned, a nice print shirt (with a collar). That is the most acceptable mode of dress for a typical "casual" night in the dining room for men. -- not shorts and tank tops and certainly NOT in the casual buffet area for dinner. I think some are totally naiive when it comes to dress and think they can do whatever they want - it's unattractive during the evening's meals and one should dress appropriately as to not distract waiters, other passengers, etc.

Laurie

Archived