Random questions

JazzCatDRP

I know most of this has probably been covered before, I apologize. I've been trying to search for it for a few days now, but it says the search is down. Getting ready to leave on the Valor's Eastern itinerary for my honeymoon in a couple weeks, and I have a couple lingering questions...

1) How strong/big do the magnets need to be for the balcony door/AC thing?

2) Would we be better off carrying cash or travelers checks?

3) Is there a size limit on the bottles of wine we can carry on? Our poison can come in a huge size probably 2-3 times the size of a normal bottle of wine. Can we carry on one of those each?

4) If we ask our room steward for wine glasses in our room for drinking out on the balcony, would he be able to get those? Or should we pack our own?

5) When at the beach in St. Thomas/St. Maarten/Nassau, what do we do with our personal belongings if we go snorkeling or the such? Are there lockable lockers or anything?

Once again, I apologize for rehashing the same old stuff! I've never cruised (actually never been out of the country even), so this is all new to me!

I know most of this has probably been covered before, I apologize. I've been trying to search for it for a few days now, but it says the search is down. Getting ready to leave on the Valor's Eastern itinerary for my honeymoon in a couple weeks, and I have a couple lingering questions...

1) How strong/big do the magnets need to be for the balcony door/AC thing?

Some used to use a bungee cord, but some say not necessary now. Not sure a magnet would work?

2) Would we be better off carrying cash or travelers checks?

Depends, I only take out one days worth of cash when I go into a port, the rest stays in the safe.

3) Is there a size limit on the bottles of wine we can carry on? Our poison can come in a huge size probably 2-3 times the size of a normal bottle of wine. Can we carry on one of those each?

Carnival says 750 ml on the size of the wine bottle you can carry on per pax.

4) If we ask our room steward for wine glasses in our room for drinking out on the balcony, would he be able to get those? Or should we pack our own?

There is a inside bar on board you can go ask for wine glasses, not sure if the cabin steward has access to glass wineglasses. I also bring my own cork screw.

5) When at the beach in St. Thomas/St. Maarten/Nassau, what do we do with our personal belongings if we go snorkeling or the such? Are there lockable lockers or anything?

Orient Beach, St Maarten is nude/topless, dont know where you leave things. We took turns going into the water.

Once again, I apologize for rehashing the same old stuff! I've never cruised (actually never been out of the country even), so this is all new to me!

good luck

1) How strong/big do the magnets need to be for the balcony door/AC thing? Do you plan on leaving your door open? If not, you don't need anything.

2) Would we be better off carrying cash or travelers checks? Not sure which is better but we always carry cash with us. Take what you think you will need (and a credit card) on excursions and leave the rest locked in the safe.

3) Is there a size limit on the bottles of wine we can carry on? Our poison can come in a huge size probably 2-3 times the size of a normal bottle of wine. Can we carry on one of those each? I don't think there is a size limit. In the past, i've taken a couple bottles on with no questions asked ~ they are usually the magnum size.

4) If we ask our room steward for wine glasses in our room for drinking out on the balcony, would he be able to get those? Or should we pack our own? There are glasses in the room that are wine glasses that you can use ~ they do not like for you to take them with you when you leave the room though. They told us they could bring a different type glass if we wanted to take them out of the room.

5) When at the beach in St. Thomas/St. Maarten/Nassau, what do we do with our personal belongings if we go snorkeling or the such? Are there lockable lockers or anything? I've only been to a beach in St Thomas and I think it was Sapphire Beach ~ don't remember any lockers but there was usually someone with our stuff at all times. I wouldn't take anything and leave it unattended that you wanted to keep :)

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than myself will have better answers.

CONGRATULATIONS on your upcoming wedding and have a great honeymoon!

We went to the smaller local beach at St. Thomas, cant remember the name offhand....no lockers there either. Only $10 to snorkel, including the dog bisquits. The water is clearer than Saphire Beach which also costs $10 to enter, but its a smaller beach. (more fun to me than the touristy beach).

Balcony door - use a bungee cord - wrap it around the handle on the outside and attach it to the partition - it works great.

Alcohol - we brought quite a few bottles in our luggage. Purchased the plastic bottles, put them in a ziplock, wrapped them in bubble wrap and put them in with regular luggage. No spillage and we got all our bottles delivered to the room. Others on our cruise used the RumRunner flasks and had no problems either.

Glasses in the room - they have glasses in the room but we also had some plastic ones to carry around with us (along with a flask).

St. Thomas - always went to Saphire Beach (did not have to pay a fee but then again we didnt rent chairs). No problems leaving stuff on the beach while in the water. HINT - DO NOT BRING THE BLUE TOWELS FROM THE SHIP. If you loose them you have to pay for them, they don't count the regular bath towels. We used those and never had a problem.

Cash - ship only takes sign & sail (except for bingo cards) so didn't need it on the ship. We did bring cash on shore for tours, food, etc. The rest was locked in the safe while we were gone. ANOTHER HINT - use an old credit card or gift card for the safe and hide it in the room. This way your spouse can access the safe if needed, and it won't wipe out the room key strip or your regular credit card strip.

1) How strong/big do the magnets need to be for the balcony door/AC thing?We used the door stop that they provide to keep balcony door open at night. We also turned the air off. No need to pack anything for this.

2) Would we be better off carrying cash or travelers checks? Some of both to ease your fears. Last two cruises we only carried credit cards and cash and had no problems. There is a safe in your room to put cash, jewelry and valuables in.

3) Is there a size limit on the bottles of wine we can carry on? Our poison can come in a huge size probably 2-3 times the size of a normal bottle of wine. Can we carry on one of those each? We generally take three or four 1.5 ltr bottles. Bag was opened last two times in Miami and nothing was said about the quantity of bottles or the size of the bottles.

4) If we ask our room steward for wine glasses in our room for drinking out on the balcony, would he be able to get those? Or should we pack our own? We always ask our room steward for two red wine glasses and they have never objected.

5) When at the beach in St. Thomas/St. Maarten/Nassau, what do we do with our personal belongings if we go snorkeling or the such? Are there lockable lockers or anything? It depends on where you go. Magens Bay there are lockers. Coki Beach Dive Club had a bin and there were employees there. Every place we have snorkeled or dove there has been a locker or bin.

No problem mon. Have a great honeymoon and enjoy yourselves. It's up to you to make sure you have a great time and I'm sure you will. Cheers!!!!

Archived