Insurance ? What does secondary mean?

I am purchasing insurance through insure my trip. All I need is medical/evac insurance as our BC/BS coverage is not that great outside of Alabama. This coverage is shaded in yellow on the quote meaning Secondary....what does secondary mean? :confused: Should I not even bother with getting it? :eek: Thanks!

secondary means you have to file on your insurance first, then the travel insurance. if you know you don't have coverage through your current company, you'll want to get travel insurance that is primary coverage.

secondary means you have to file on your insurance first, then the travel insurance. if you know you don't have coverage through your current company, you'll want to get travel insurance that is primary coverage.

This statement represents a misunderstanding of the term, and is not good advice. Secondary coverage pays only after any other insurance coverage pays whatever it will. If you do not have any other coverage for the loss, then the travel insurance pays whatever coverage it provides. Thus, if you do not have other coverage, you are wasting your money by paying extra for primary coverage, and you get no additional benefit.

For example, with secondary coverage, if you have a claim that the travel insurance would pay $100 on and your private health insurer pays $60, the the travel insurance would pay the remaining $40. If your private insurer would not cover the claim, then your travel insurance would pay the whole $100.

If you have primary insurance, then the travel insurance would pay the $100 without regard to whether you had other insurance. However, while some private insurers would pay the $60 anyway, many (if not most) would not. Check your policy.

Do not buy primary coverage because you fear something won't be covered. Its main benefit is that there is less hassle, because you only have to file one claim. However, it does not offer greater protection against real loss. I have cruised dozens of times, and while I always buy travel insurance, I always save money by purchasing coverage that is secondary rather than primary.

Archived