European hotel prices...heads up?!

I saw on the Travel Channel yesterday that - to attract US tourists - a growing number of european hotels are offering to accept 'dollar per euro' on their rates. So, if you see a room for 150 euros per night, they will accept 150 dollars in payment.

Has anyone encountered this? Is it the majority or the minority as to how many hotels are offering this deal? (And deal it would be with the exchange rate what it is!)

Just curious. Thanks.

I saw on the Travel Channel yesterday that - to attract US tourists - a growing number of european hotels are offering to accept 'dollar per euro' on their rates. So, if you see a room for 150 euros per night, they will accept 150 dollars in payment.

Has anyone encountered this? Is it the majority or the minority as to how many hotels are offering this deal? (And deal it would be with the exchange rate what it is!)

Just curious. Thanks.

Hotels in London have been doing this for quite a while( a few years that I know of),but only at certain times of the year,and they will say so on their website or in an ad or with a TA.I have not seen it elsewhere,but it wiould not surprise me..it will be more in the off season or end of shoulder season I would assume.Just checl carefully when you book or if you are looking for a hotel that does this..if in qestion you can always ask.

I certainly didn't find any in Rome or Venice for Oct '08 willing to do that. If anything, prices have gotten even more outrageous over the last 3 months.

The poor exchange rate is why I'm booking most of my tours, transfers, etc. on Viator.com to pay now in U.S. dollars. And I will book the 3 cruiseline tours when they become available to also pay in U.S. dollars.

Sea Island Lady,

www.viator.com was only for the tours.

I booked directly with the hotel in Rome at http://www.domusaurelia.com/english/monuments.html with a credit card guarantee, but charged when we arrive at the hotel, but have the 95 EURO rate regardless of what happens.

The only site I know for sure that says book now and pay at hotel is

www.venere.com

I have used Travelocity, HotelClub and Expedia in the past and they charge your credit card immediately, I didn't like that, so started going directly to the hotel website if they have one. It sometimes takes some searching to find their site, but they usually have one.

I start at Yahoo.com and input the name of the hotel and start looking at the addresses for the name of the hotel.

Also booked Ca' Doge in Venice, first saw it on Venere, but then found their own website and emailed them. Same process, Credit card to guarantee, but not charged until checkout at hotel.

Also, could you post the site you booked from. I can't find the hotel booking site on Viator.com.

I checked these websites for the hotel I wanted then booked directly with the hotel.

In one case it was 50Euro cheaper with the hotel

http://www.veniceby.com/

http://www.venere.com

The cancellation days were from 1-7 days with no fee check the hotel's policy

:o Thanks! I thought it was something new to book hotels on because I had not heard of it.

I have booked my hotel directly through the hotels website (always do that in case there is trouble - same for airfare). I was hoping that maybe the price of my hotel, or a better hotel would go down to entice travel to Rome, but no luck so far. I'll keep checking up until we leave, because we can cancel.;)

agabbymama--one reason you might have seen high prices is that October is high season for Rome. We were there in '05--thinking that it would be off season and it was mobbed.

Just curious - was Rome mobbed with American tourists or Europeans in October? I used to go to Venezia in October, sometimes November, as an escape getaway but that was many years ago.

The Venetians would start enjoying their own city after the tourist season ended. But I had to give up on the "escaping to Venezia" concept when the CEE (Central and Eastern Europeans) day trippers starting taking over the city, using public - and not so public - facilities without spending a cent.I hope the fall season has calmed down now.

I enjoy your posts. Your input and information is "cherce."

Ruby

Saga Ruby--I hadn't thought about that--but now that you asked there were more European and Asian tourists than Americans. We were told that Germany and some other countries vacation for Octoberfest time and most people want to avoid the heat of the summer in Rome.

Just curious. Thanks.

I have heard this, but not seen this. I saw some hotels offer a PRO USA rate to citizens of USA (bargain rate) but at their lowest priced rooms, not much of a bargain.

I was lucky enough to use points for all my hotel stays this trip.

I continue to check for bargins but I guess there are enough tourist who

can afford the hotel prices because I can't find any great deals in June

for London or Barcelona. I am glad I have plenty of points to use, its a lot

of points but better than a lot of cash!

Archived