Did Anyone Notice ....

TedC

...in the interesting article about Malta in the spirng edition of HAL's "Mariner" this sentence:

"Its most recent occupiers were the British, who granted Malta independence in 1964, but its most influential were the Order of the Knights of St. John, who ruled the island for 270 YEARS in the 16th CENTURY."

Apparently things moved considerably slower in those days compared to our fast-paced world - where a century now only takes 100 years!

IIRC, when I was reading it I was also watching TV and listening to the radio. So, I just sort of shook my head and kept going.

Now that you point it out it's funny. (Only listening to the radio and reading CC this time.)

How's Cathy?

Hi Sher and Ruth, hope you're all doing well.

Cathy's as ornery as ever - wait - perhaps I have her confused with me!

(Is it a "senior moment" or an "intellectual interlude" ?)

Never mind, just pass the chocolate.

To turn this conversation a wee bit off topic, if anyone has been or is going to Malta, I highly recommend "The Kappillan of Malta" by Nicholas Monsarat.

Monsarat brilliantly interweaves a story of a WWII priest in Malta whose church is bombed early on in the war with the history of the ages-old (even more than 270 years!) of this island. I found it one of the most engrossing books I've ever read simply because I never cared about a silly little ole island in the Med. Now when I hear the name, I remember the vivid history revealed in that very fine book and want to read it again.

On topic - it's fun to catch The Grey Lady of journalism with a math problem!

Ruby

Archived