Differences Between Celebrity and HAL

velvetred

Dominica also was one of my favorite islands. Be sure to snorkel in the "champagne" , where little bubbles from the underground volcanic activity surround you.

Also it is a valid experience for your daughter to see what true poverty looks like. It is an eye-opening experience , especially considering the fact that so much of the world faces this challenge. Of course it is not the purpose of your cruise , but travel provides us all with differnt perspectives.

Off topic- Usha and husband , you are sure a beautiful couple. I was blown away by the fact that you´ve been married for 35 yrs. What is in your water?

Celebrity sounds really nice but not so sure we would like it if many of the activities are by invitation only as mentioned by another poster on this thread. Have others found this an issue on their first Celebrity cruise?

Have others found this an issue on their first Celebrity cruise?

We will see what others have to say but I actually think a lot of folks don't know what they missed. I noticed one recent review stated they wee not impressed with having to go to the Islands cafe (Buffet) to pour their own afternoon tea when other lines have tea in the dining room. That reviewer did not realize there was formal tea. They were not invited. Btw, I asked the assistant Matre'D and on 7 nights and longer he stated everyone was invited to the formal tea, just not on the short cruises. Btw, I went to the tea and there was under 18 guests so it was not successful. Celebrity should be doing everything it can to get repeat passengers....including a midnight buffet and BBQ by the pool.

We will see what others have to say but I actually think a lot of folks don't know what they missed. I noticed one recent review stated they wee not impressed with having to go to the Islands cafe (Buffet) to pour their own afternoon tea when other lines have tea in the dining room. That reviewer did not realize there was formal tea. They were not invited. Btw, I asked the assistant Matre'D and on 7 nights and longer he stated everyone was invited to the formal tea, just not on the short cruises. Btw, I went to the tea and there was under 18 guests so it was not successful. Celebrity should be doing everything it can to get repeat passengers....including a midnight buffet and BBQ by the pool.

Hi Jade :)

I agree with you about the BBQ by the pool. That was one of my favorite dinners on our HAL cruise. We also enjoyed their dessert midnight buffet.

I also prefer the way HAL does afternoon tea because they don't have a dress code for it and it was slightly different every day. Celebrity's dress code for afternoon tea makes it necessary to get dressed for the evening in the middle of the afternoon, which is the last thing I want to do on a cruise.

On all Celebrity cruises I've been on the past couple of years there has been both an "open" afternoon elegant tea in the dining room and an invitation only afternoon tea in a smaller venue (Micheal's club or specialty restaurant). Attendance is not huge on these, nor was it on Princess. If you ask your Maitre D' about it you'll probably be able to wrangle an invite to the invitation only one - although on some cruises they are at the same time. You'd be amazed what you can get on Celebrity, and most other cruise lines, if you ask the right person nicely. This is in addition to daily tea in the buffet area and a selection of tea sandwiches and pastries available daily by the cova cafe (where there is a charge for tea (I presume) and coffee).

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments - looks like both lines have their plusses and minuses. Right now we are leaning toward switching to the Celebrity Galaxy because of the fantastic itinerary and the general consensus that the on board activities and nightlife on Celebrity would be more suitable for a 20 year old. I am waiting to see some of the comments post refurbishment. The HAL Noordam looks like a great ship but she might be more suitable for a cruise with my dh than with my dd20. Dh is perfectly happy to be in bed at 10 (or sooner). BTW - I think cruise line comparison threads such as this one are helpful for many cruisers.

diboja--We sailed Galaxy out of Galveston in Feb. '05 and one of our stops was Puerto Limon. We had one of the best excursions ever--the Pontoon Jungle Boat. It was a large pontoon cruising from a private resort down a river in the middle of a rain forest. No bugs at all because they come out at dusk. We saw a lot of wildlife including sloths in the trees. The mother and baby were just adorable. On the bus ride afterward we stopped and got out to see howler monkeys frolicking in the trees overhead. Babies there, too. So cool!

You will like Celebrity. The food is great and the service--excellent. Be sure to try the waffles.

We sail only Celebrity and RCCL and have had wonderful cruises every time.

Last Jan. on Mercury was our 8th cruise in 6 yrs and we have two more booked for next year.

Our first X cruise was with friends and we wondered if we would like it, having had two fabulous cruises on Explorer. We loved Summit and subsequently Galaxy and Mercury. We are sailing Galaxy again in Jan. '09 and Summit again in June '09.

1/02 Explorer E. Carib. 1/03 Explorer W. Carib.

8/03 Summit Alaska cruise/tour 2/04 Adventure S. Carib.

2/05 Galaxy Panama Canal 6/06 Jewel Brit. Isles/Nor. Fjords

1/07 Mercury Mexican Riviera 1/08 Mercury Aust/NZ

1/09 Galaxy S. Carib. 6/09 Summit Classical Med.

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments - looks like both lines have their plusses and minuses. Right now we are leaning toward switching to the Celebrity Galaxy because of the fantastic itinerary and the general consensus that the on board activities and nightlife on Celebrity would be more suitable for a 20 year old. I am waiting to see some of the comments post refurbishment. The HAL Noordam looks like a great ship but she might be more suitable for a cruise with my dh than with my dd20. Dh is perfectly happy to be in bed at 10 (or sooner). BTW - I think cruise line comparison threads such as this one are helpful for many cruisers.

I believe you will not go wrong with the Galaxy and it itinerary. We were in Curacao last November and we did a really nice city tour that included a stop at the Curacao liquor manufacturing plant for a free tasting and then ended up with a 2 hour private beach stay. This tour was not a cruise ship tour and was with Casper’s Curacao tours which departs in the old town across from the docks at the swinging bridge. HAL offered a similar tour that was $45PP and Casper’s tour was only $15pp. I highly recommend this tour. We just got off the ship and walked up to his tour stand and booked the tour. He gives a great narrative about the history of Curacao and his buses are air-conditioned and hold 15 passengers. The whole tour lasts about 4 hours.

Thanks for the comments. Still waiting to see comments on the refurbishment. I wonder whether or not there will be a decline in service and upkeep in the coming months or if Celebrity will continue to maintain its service standards as it prepares to transfer the Galaxy to the German cruise company.

Archived