Making Online Chops or Portofino Reservations

I'm sure I missed this info somewhere, but how soon can you make your reservations prior to your sail date?

THANKS!:D

I just spoke with a C&A rep yesterday and he says that they will start it up on Jun 12th. The actual availablity will depend on your sail date ... just like excursions.

I, personally, will check it daily as soon as they activate it.

I'm going on the 7 night western on Freedom. Anybody know which night would be best to make a reservation?

We like the formal nights, and we figured we would probably want a change some time mid-week. Is there a night that the food isn't "the best" or is it basically a guess?

I don't know what the big deal is about making reservations for Chops or Portofino way in advance. In all the cruises we've taken (30+), we've never had a problem getting a reservation onboard - even after a few days onboard. I don't believe these restaurants are as popular as RCCL would like everyone to think.

Personally, I like having all of my ducks in a row, so if I can take care of my reservation prior to my cruise, I think that is great. Whether or not the restaurant is "popular" isn't the issue for me, it is one less thing I have to worry about once I board. Why's it matter if I like to do it this way?

I don't know what the big deal is about making reservations for Chops or Portofino way in advance. In all the cruises we've taken (30+), we've never had a problem getting a reservation onboard - even after a few days onboard. I don't believe these restaurants are as popular as RCCL would like everyone to think.

I'm not sure it qualifies as "a big deal". More of a matter of convinenence for those who might like to organize as much as possible before they board.

But, you do have a point. It's not like the reservations will be sold out like a popular shore excursion might be.

Over all, it's a take it, or leave it.

I spoke to RCI yesterday and was told that normally you will be able make specialty restaurant reservations up to 6 months in advance.

I agree that making specialty restaurant reservations in advance is a matter of convenience and gives us one less thing to do when we board. It's another preference thing.

The only way I can see it being a big deal is if you wanted to lock in a certain day and time... if you're open to whenever, then I don't think there's a problem getting the reservation...

Our last cruise we saw several disappointed folks who really wanted a specific day and time... they were a group of 12 in a family that all wanted to do Chops together... unfortunately, the day they wanted didn't have a time that also allowed for children under 13 to dine with them...

so it could be a big deal if you have a group to coordinate or need to accommodate children...

I'm personally psyched about the online reservation system... I too like to have this stuff all worked out before I board...

Do you have to be a previous RCCL cruiser to be entitled to online reservations?

No.

Once you make a reservation (via RCI, TA, etc...), you can create an on line account on RCI's website and you can access your reservation using your reservation number.

You can also book shore excursions, complete on line check-in, see cruise history, among many other things. But, that is for another thread.

We tried for an entire week on the Jewel and never got into either restaurant. Also on the Explorer the line was long on Embarkment day. It took our table mates until the end of the cruise to get in. They were wait listed.

I over plan everything and really like having things arranged prior to getting on the ship. I don't like to waste valuable vacation time trying to decide what night I want to eat at a specialty restaurant and the time to eat there. I'd rather think about it while I'm sitting in my office in NJ. We'll be on Enchantment on the Aug 9 cruise, so I just miss the online reservations which starts for cruises the following week. Oh well, I have a GS so I'm hoping the conceriege contacts me in advance so I can make my reservations.

Archived