Do I really need a bungee cord?

AandBmom

We have a balcony and I've read several times about bringing a bungee cord. I'm assuming that's to hold the door open????

Is there a screen on the door or is the bungee the only way to get some air through the balcony door?

We've cruised twice with a balcony (and now will not cruise without one) and have never needed a bungee cord. I try to limit the amount of stuff I take with me, and a bungee just seemed like a bit much.

If you MUST leave your balcony door open, you can always wedge one of the chairs in there. But, the cruise lines don't want you to leave the door open all night anyway, something about it messes with the air conditioning systems. I won't pretend to understand how or why.

We always take a bungee when in a BL cabin, we like to sleep with the door open. If you wedge a chair to hold it open, then you have to climb over the chair or move it every time you enter and exit the balcony. A bungee cord takes about as much space as pair of socks(if that), no big deal.

We've cruised twice with a balcony (and now will not cruise without one) and have never needed a bungee cord. I try to limit the amount of stuff I take with me, and a bungee just seemed like a bit much.

If you MUST leave your balcony door open, you can always wedge one of the chairs in there. But, the cruise lines don't want you to leave the door open all night anyway, something about it messes with the air conditioning systems. I won't pretend to understand how or why.

They also would rather you not leave the balcony doors open due to others throwing lit cigarettes and one landing in your room :eek:

Different ships/cabins must have different configurations -- we brought a bungee twice and could find absolutely nothing to tether the other end to. Someone was going to post a pic a while back, but I remain baffled. We use a spare hanging rod from the closet.

As I recall from the Conquest and HAL Zuiderdam (our only balcony cruises... :( ), the balcony doors stayed open on their own if you opened them all the way. I don't know if that's true on other ships, probably not given all the folks that have different methods of propping open the door.

I just roll up a towel and wedge the door open a little at night to hear the sounds of the sea!!:D

Great idea. I will have to remember this for our next cruise. Thanks!

Different ships/cabins must have different configurations -- we brought a bungee twice and could find absolutely nothing to tether the other end to. Someone was going to post a pic a while back, but I remain baffled. We use a spare hanging rod from the closet.

On both balcony doors we have had so far, there has been a latch at the top on the inside of the door to lock the door from the inside. We use the bungee by hooking it to that latch and then to the divider between the balconies.

• 2 weeks later...

Well now that I'm back from my cruise I'm here to answer my own question. No I did not need a bungee cord. The wedge used by the cabin steward to prop open the main door worked perfect for the balcony door.

We have a balcony and I've read several times about bringing a bungee cord. I'm assuming that's to hold the door open????

Is there a screen on the door or is the bungee the only way to get some air through the balcony door?

In a word...NO you don't need a bungee. There are other ways to hold the door open.

No, bungee cords along with most of the other junk people bring on board is totally stupid

I'm super busy today, so I did not actually read the posts, just the title. I'l offer my opinion on this by saying that the landing is a lot rougher if you don't have the bungee cord. :p

Why would you want the door open anyway? Usually in the Caribbean/Mexico it's very hot and humid, even at sea. Then try opening your cabin door with the balcony door open. It creates this huge vacuum that sucks all the air and debris from down the hall!!

We totally just used the door wedge that the stewards use when they clean the room with the door open. Just open the balcony door, and stick it in the space between the frame and and door. It won't work on the ground like a normal door wedge, you have to stick it between the frame and the door and then just let go of the door.

Archived