Just off Golden... Any Questions

krotzie

Just got off a great cruise on the Golden. A few obervations from what people were asking before we left.

Football lovers: Had the Sunday night, and Monday night game, but no Sunday day games. No College. Have Spanish ESPN.

Anytime dining: Worked great. We met the the Maitre Dei (SP??) in the Donatello dining room the first night. He gave us a great table (#170) a great waiter (Ilidio from portugal). We would then call the number they give you and recomend the table and time. 6:30 every night. By the second night they were waving us right through, saying table 170 is ready for us.

Pools: Fresh water pools. This may sound like not a big deal. But is was. Being on Royal Caribbean and NCL (both salt water) this is the big reason I will sail Princess again over the other two. When it is 94 every day, a nice warm fresah water pool is awsome.

Food: Dining room was great!!! People were riight. The pizza is the best I have had at sea. and the Chesse cake is to die for.

Weather: Perfect. Sunny and 88-94 every day. ONe brief night shower. and One breif downpour late one night.

Ports: St. Thomas. and Aruba Speaks for themselves.

St. Kitts. did Ilva Wallace Great.

Dominica: did a tour with MR. JOy and Tony. Awsome

Isla: Not good. They do the best with the little time you are there. you have to be back on the ship at 12:30. I think it is a nice island. But you have no time to do anyting. Beach next to the pier is not the greatest.

I am not the pickiest person in the world. So every cruise is great and this one was one of my best. Some of the comnplaints I heard, but did not bother me. A lot of latin people on board, so a couple of the shows were geared toward them. Hard to understand the show when it was mostly in spanish. The Saturday at sea. We were just off the coast of Puerto Rico at like 7pm. And we did not dock to the next am. People would of liked to of had a few more hours in Aruba. Shows weere just ok. Also, they were is a real hurry to get you leave. With two days left all they would talk about was you getting off the ship in a timely manner. farwell show was bad, All my past cruises the crew would come out and sing and thank you. This was just a juggler, a singer and then tell you how to get off the ship.

Overall a great cruise. Besides the shows being just OK. Everything else was great. Please feel free to ask any questions....

Thank you for the review. I will be going on this ship on Sunday:) . Since they have changed to Dominica how did they handle the shore excursions? Did you just sign up for them on the ship? Which ones did they offer? What time were you allowed on the ship in San Juan? Which night is the Captains Party, the first formal night or the second?

Thanks again.

We got onboard at about 1:30. And there were poeple already on board. So not sure when they let people on. When you get to yoru cabin they have a folder with all the excursions, and all the on shore flyers for the whole trip. They had all the updated sheets for dominica in there. Captains party was the first formal night. Lots of free drinks. After St. KItts I believe. I have all the patters at home, and will look it up.

Truely....how bad is check-in on Sunday? I have been hearing that lines go around the building and moves VERY slow. My flight arrives at 11:30am and we plan on getting our luggage and catching a cab to the peir. Hopefully being there about 12:15-12:30. I really don't want to be out in the hot sun lugging all of our luggage and being dressed nicely from the flight. SHould we take our time at the airport? Please share any advise with this, I am confussed since I am so used to only waiting 10-15 min at Port Everglades to board.

Thanks

Tina

What time did they stay in St Kitts till? I heard there was another few hours added. How about in Dominia? Do you remember the order of the menus? Like was it Sailaway menu, Italian Menu, Captain's menu?

Any other hints you can give us to enjoy our 10/24 cruise would be greatly appreciated!

We also just returned from the Golden on Sunday and had the opposite experience as you. We have always cruised RCCL and had very high expectations from Princess. Boy we were so dissapointed in this cruise!! We found a great waiter also from Portugal in the Bernini dining room. I personally was dissapointed in the food or lack of. The pizza was the best thing I thought the ship had to offer. We arrived at the pier at 11:30 and by 12 we were in our room, was one of the smoothest boardings we have experienced. Now getting off we found that to be the worst it took almost an hour to get thru customs.

First thank you for posting, very interesting for people like me that asnt cruise for a while (22 years) !

Tell me , I booked the 6:30 (1 st service) dinner, if I want to eat one night alone with my wife I guess it can be done?

At dinner, do they serve specialities from the island you were that they?

Do we can seafood at dinner , we are lover of seafood!

Thank you in advance!

I'm very serious of the lack of food or more the variety of it. If you are a seafood and steak eater then you are ok. I don't like seafood and am not a big meat eater. There was chicken served one night and didn't really even taste like chicken. The horizon court I found to be seriously lacking in taste and variety. I did have their pizza almost everyday since that was great.

Food on the Golden is wonderful. We enjoyed every meal. I love fish and all seafood and was not dissappointed in any of the entres. I was not going to take the lobster thinking that it was warm water, but it was very good. They do pasta very well and we love the eggs benedict in the morning. I try to avoid the rolls and butter, but once in a while, I go for it. About the chicken, I don't know too much as I never ordered it for dinner, but once at lunch, I had a chicken entre and it was dry. Forget chicken and go for everything else, I guess. Chicken lovers, let us know if you have had good Princess chicken!

Archived