Cab cost from Heathrow

I'm going to venture a guess it would be a minimum of 50 GBP, depending the which day of the week you are traveling and the time of day. I got this figure by looking at other hotels in the area and their estimating of a taxi fare.

I lived in London last summer, and I found the easiest thing to do is take the Tube. All of their maps are online, so you can easily plan your route. It's much cheaper than taking a cab, quite easy to navigate, and goes directly to Heathrow.

I am just curious about transportation from Heathrow to our hotel when we arrive. We will have luggage for 14 days so I don't think the tibe is the answer. I had been looking at dot2dot but now I am not sure if it is better than a cab.

I am just curious about transportation from Heathrow to our hotel when we arrive. We will have luggage for 14 days so I don't think the tibe is the answer. I had been looking at dot2dot but now I am not sure if it is better than a cab.

We've been on the tube with 3 large suitcases and a couple of carry bags and managed. This was even walking down the street a couple of blocks with them.

I don't know your ages and ability to handle your bags, so you will have to take that into consideration yourself. You could always take the Heathrow Express (15 minutes into the city) and then a taxi from the station to your hotel. That will be much quicker and hopefully easier for you.

We've been on the tube with 3 large suitcases and a couple of carry bags and managed. This was even walking down the street a couple of blocks with them.

I don't know your ages and ability to handle your bags, so you will have to take that into consideration yourself. You could always take the Heathrow Express (15 minutes into the city) and then a taxi from the station to your hotel. That will be much quicker and hopefully easier for you.

We are mid 50's to early 60's. I know what the tube is and what cabs are but can you enlighten me on the Heathrow express?

We have booked with Premier airport cars http://www.premierairportcars.com/help.htm#postcode and the charge is going to be 40.70 lbs. We are going to a hotel in London centre at around 5PM. You can get a quote by going to their website but you need the postal code for your hotel. Click on live booking and it will give you the quote without actually booking it.

The Heathrow Express is a rail service that runs exclusively as an express service between Heathrow Airport and London Paddington Station in the city and vice versa. The train offers both standard and first class carriages but the difference is really space as I don't believe there is any meal service on the train. The trains run throughout the day and the trip takes approximately 15 minutes.

We did the Heathrow Express from the city to the airport last year after spending 5 days in London. Since we're returning to London again this year for three days in advance of our cruise we're doing the Heathrow Express this time into the city. I highly recommend the service. You can pre-book on the internet (yes, they have their own website) up to six months for any train on the day you are traveling and you can collect your tickets at a machine or from the ticket counter. You can also buy tickets upon your arrival. No big difference really.

The only issue may be that you'll then have to catch a taxi from the station to wherever you are going so that will be an added cost so you should probably compare prices to make sure this is the best bet for you. Since we're staying in the Kensington area we're not that far away from Paddington so it works well for us.

David

We are mid 50's to early 60's. I know what the tube is and what cabs are but can you enlighten me on the Heathrow express?

Here's the link to the website: https://www.heathrowexpress.com/index.asp?SID={59290D1A-1DDC-4B7D-9C7A-A733836E4857}

It's an express train from Heathrow to Paddington station and the journey takes 15 minutes.

The Heathrow Express is a rail service that runs exclusively as an express service between Heathrow Airport and London Paddington Station in the city and vice versa.

The Heathrow Express no longer runs exclusively between Heathrow and Paddington. There are two train services the Heathrow Connect and the Heathrow Express. The Heathrow Connect is a stopping train taking 10 minutes longer but is broadly half the price. The Heathrow Express doesn't go to Terminal 4, the Heathrow Connect doesn't go to Terminal 5.

There is a broad range of public transport options from Heathrow to Central London including trains (2), London Underground, Bus and shared hotel shuttle bus.

There is a comparison at the url below which shows where the different options go in Central London and the comparative costs.

Transfer options between Heathrow and Central London

The Heathrow Express no longer runs exclusively between Heathrow and Paddington. There are two train services the Heathrow Connect and the Heathrow Express. The Heathrow Connect is a stopping train taking 10 minutes longer but is broadly half the price. The Heathrow Express doesn't go to Terminal 4, the Heathrow Connect doesn't go to Terminal 5.

I know of the Heathrow Connect but the Heathrow Express runs exclusively as the express service as I had first said and thus why I only mentioned it. But yes, for those who which to stop elsewhere the Connect runs the other service.

Thanks for the cost comparative url though. That will help everyone.

David

>"I had been looking at dot2dot but now I am not sure if it is better than a cab."

I think it's a good deal and plan to book it for next month. I doubt a cab can carry 4 passengers and all the luggage. Obviously just catching a cab is the easiest, however. Trust me, Dot2Dot is better than any of the otherpublic transportation options, for sure.

Any idea how much a cab costs from Heathrow to central London.
I would agree with the estimates at around £50-60. I posted a thread last year about taxis (except I was getting home).
I'd say around £70 - why not use the heathrow express (£56 return) ...
The only issue may be that you'll then have to catch a taxi from the station to wherever you are going so that will be an added cost so you should probably compare prices to make sure this is the best bet for you.
The main disadvantage of the Heathrow Express is the need to get onward transport from Paddington to your final destination. For many people, this will negate all the potential time and money saving over simply taking a taxi. So, for example, even if a taxi would have cost £70, by the time you've spent £56 on the Heathrow Express and £10 in a taxi from Paddington to the City Inn, you'd be only fractionally better off.

And in terms of time, the taxi has an advantage which reduces the time difference with the Heathrow Express, and is a real benefit over prebooked "minicabs": They are allowed to use the bus lane on the motorway between Heathrow and Chiswick. In peak hours, this basically allows them to jump 20-30 minutes' worth of queue on the motorway.

Also, for anyone thinking of using a prebooked "minicab", many of them will charge additionally for waiting time if you take a long time (or, indeed, any time) to get out of Customs. (Some also add on the car park fees on top, as they have to park in the car park before they come inside the terminal to look for you.) Baggage delivery at Heathrow can be fast, or it can be slow - so this could be unpredictable. With a normal taxi, of course, there are no such charges: the meter starts when you are in the cab and you start moving.

We used Dot2Dot for our recent trip to London. It worked out fine. We waited about 15 minutes for all passengers to arrive. We were 3rd being dropped off at our hotel. There were 4 separate destinations in the shuttle. It was a good price at 17.50 pounds per person and we booked on line prior to our trip. We appreciated the door to door service and the driver handled our luggage.

We did have a bit of trouble finding the desk, it is the last one along the "car for hire" area.

well folks good news the single fare from heathrow to paddington on the heathrow express [ or the other way ] around is £5. 69 . Fares can be found on the train line web site , this fare is not a rush hour fare but this can easily be avoided . This ticket does not require advance booking , so forget the taxi !!!

well folks good news the single fare from heathrow to paddington on the heathrow express [ or the other way ] around is £5. 69 .
I don't know where you get that exact fare, but I very much doubt that this will be valid on the Heathrow Express. It looks more like the fare for Heathrow -> Paddington on the Heathrow Connect, which is published at £6.90 one way. But the Heathrow Connect only runs once every 30 minutes (only half as often as the Heathrow Express), and takes about 30 minutes (twice as long as the Heathrow Express).

The tube is the cheapest and as we already had our travelcard worked well for us. However if you have lots of cases and/or if they are heavy then you might hit a few hurdles. We had a case each (mine was HEAVY) plus a carry on bag each.

At Heathrow there are posts at the top and bottom of the escalators and if there are no staff around (like at 5:30am when we arrived) you need to get your cases over them and then over the turnstile gates.

We went to Bayswater with a change at Earls Court (I think). You need to pick your station as many do not have lifts or escalators and it does become a logistical knightmare if only one can manage the heavy items up the stairs. (Its the old problem of rowing a chicken and a fox across a river in a very small rowboat). However we made it and it was a good warmup for Rome.

David

Globaliser made some great points for me last year on the thread he mentioned. He said the tube is a good option only if you can transit from one level of the tube to another in one go. IE you can carry all of your bags potentially up a flight of stairs.

I made sure that we packed in such a way that we could do this, and with an Oyster card it worked like a charm and saved us a lot of money that we could later turn into food, which doesn't last long in London!:D

jc

Archived