Anyone with experience with Airtran

dcruze

My line of choice. Every year they rank in the top three for service among all domestic lines. Most recent year #1. FAA ranks them best at baggage handling. They don't fly 25 yr old planes like some of the legacy airlines. Avg age is about 3.75 yrs for their fleet. They have expanded alot over the last five years and profitable for nine straight years. I think only one other line has consistantly been profitable.

Looking into using Airtran for flight form IND to FLL. Does anyone have experience with Airtran?

They really are my favorite. I do use US Airways for business because Airtrain is not going direct where I need to be, but otherwise they are really really good and would be mu #1 choice.

We flew this route on April 26th aboard Airtran. Our flight was to leave at 2:15 and they started boarding way early - maybe 1:30ish. Nice airport, Indy, with a good food court with reasonable prices. We parked in economy which was 6.50 a day.

The flight was great - we arrived maybe 15 minutes early in FLL. You can take large carryons onboard up to 55" (h + l + w) and our 25" rollons fit perfect in the overhead bin above the 3 seater side of the plane. We did online check in so we went straight to the gate.

Many times you just cannot beat the price on Airtran and if you do not want a bunch of frills, you will be happy with this airline. You will get a soft drink and a bag of pretzels and pay for anything else.

Airtran is definitely our first choice.

I flew Airtran several times over the last few years. They are a pretty good airline, I've never had any trouble with them. Their staff was nice, planes nice, and they were on time.

But usually, I fly the airline that has the cheapest fair, because when it comes down to it, they are all the same.

Just want to echo the positive experiences with AirTran. They are a budget airline, but if you are like me and would rather save money it is a good way to go. Comparable to Southwest, but with seat assignments.

I have only used Airtran for about the last 6-7 yrs. In fact, I just booked with American for my september cruise (cheapest non-stop flight) & it does make me a little nervous because I'm so used to Airtan.

Hi,:) I have used Airtran as well and was quite pleased:)

Unfortunetly they didn't have the timing and price I needed

for my upcoming flight...but I did look to them first;)

Looking into using Airtran for flight form IND to FLL. Does anyone have experience with Airtran?

We are a family of 5 and flew them out of Boston(Logan) to FLL in April. Our flights were on time and without events......very nice! All 5 of us(2adult/3 kids) flew for just over $1000 round trip! (included paying the $5.00pp "upcharge" for seating each way so we could sit together). We had one brief stop in Newport News, VA. On the way there(to FLL)got off and got quick salad as it was lunch time. On the way back(from FLL) they did not let us deboard in N.News........just let passengers not going on to Boston off and boarded some new passengers. There was a problem w/overbooking at that point and they took 4 "volunteers" compensating them w/2 RT airfares to be used within the next year. Several people volunteered very quickly and it did not hold up our flight....not sure what caused the seating snafu though....we were seated so it did not affect us. Good luck!:)

Does anyone find Airtran seats tiny compared to SW?

It's because they are. On AirTran's 717's the seat pitch in coach is 30" vs. 31" on Southwest and most other airlines. Being 6'1", that 1-inch difference is a deal-breaker and the main reason I will not fly AirTran. Their seats are just too tight for my own comfort.

It's because they are. On AirTran's 717's the seat pitch in coach is 30" vs. 31" on Southwest and most other airlines. Being 6'1", that 1-inch difference is a deal-breaker and the main reason I will not fly AirTran. Their seats are just too tight for my own comfort.

The business class upgrade one way is usually about $40.00 (either same day or 24 hours in advance). After two round trips you get 4 points (at least) and can use 4 points for a one way business class upgrade.

I flew for the first time ever on AirTran. The stewardess were very nice and friendly. The plane was very clean and comfortable. You do get a can soda, chips, pretzels or crackers. I know it's an economy line but they give you free ear phones to listen to the satelitte radio they have. Did I mention the prices are very cheap!

just back from San Juan on Air Tran....absolutely the best airline experience i have had in many years. didn't notice the seats were any smaller, but did notice friendly staff, ontime flights, luggage came off plane very fast in both San Juan and Atlanta! Certainly liked their assigned seating rather than SW standing in line because everyone is afraid they won't get the best seat! Did pay 5.00 each to have aisle seats!

Have a great trip!

Beverly

The business class upgrade one way is usually about $40.00 (either same day or 24 hours in advance). After two round trips you get 4 points (at least) and can use 4 points for a one way business class upgrade.

On every AirTran flight I flew that upgrade was never available. Because of the need for a less than certain opportunity for this supposed upgrade, I'm not taking the chance of a possible opportunity to upgrade when I can be more comfortable on another airline, in coach, rather than being crammed into AirTran's tiny tiny seats.

I use them most all the time. I am in Memphis (Northwest hub) and Airtran has great service here. I fly a lot to Sarasota, and its niver been a problem. One time the pilot came out of the jet way at boarding time to move things along so we could leave EARLY!!!!

RIght now I have booked flights back from Rome after my cruise ATL to MEM, 59 bucks. Cant beat the price!

On every AirTran flight I flew that upgrade was never available. Because of the need for a less than certain opportunity for this supposed upgrade, I'm not taking the chance of a possible opportunity to upgrade when I can be more comfortable on another airline, in coach, rather than being crammed into AirTran's tiny tiny seats.

You could also just pay for the business class seat as they are not usually that expensive. Btw, if you ever go in or out of BWI they seem to have trouble selling the upgrades. Another option is to request the emergency exit right at 24 hours. Those seats actually have more leg room than business class (or any row besides the first).

Are the seats smaller than the US Airways shuttle? If so, I never noticed.

I fly Airtran out of Indy or Dayton about once every 3-4 months and am very pleased. They seem very efficient and have always been on time. The only problem I ever had was a direct flight from Indy to FLL was cancelled and they routed me and my family via Atlanta. I was NOT contacted, but I found out by being diligent about checking my flight status. I did not like the times of the flights, so they changed my flights to my liking, and assigned favorable seats without an extra charge or hassle.

We just flew from PHL to FLL last week on AirTran, and used them last Dec as well. Our flights have always on time and arrived early. We've also found that the flight attendants have been very nice and humorous as well. I will use them anytime..

Archived