Anyone with experience with Airtran

dcruze

Anyone know when they might open mid February so i can jump on it?:D

Also, who has flown AirTran out of Logan (Boston)?

Looks open now.

Be prepared to pay for getting seats ahead of time. I think it was $6 per person each way. We got great flights from Westchester County Airport to Ft. Myers (non cruise vacation)--less than 100 each way!!!

We just used Air Tran to Memphis out of Logan with a connection in Atlanta. I just read somewhere that even when you die whether it be heaven or he** you go thru Atlanta.

Our flight out of Boston was at 9:03 and was delayed making us miss our connection in Atlanta which was rebooked on a later flight. We finally got out at 1:30pm.

For our troubles we received a free flight anywhere good for a year.

We just used Air Tran to Memphis out of Logan with a connection in Atlanta. I just read somewhere that even when you die whether it be heaven or he** you go thru Atlanta.

Our flight out of Boston was at 9:03 and was delayed making us miss our connection in Atlanta which was rebooked on a later flight. We finally got out at 1:30pm.

BRAVO to AirTran for doing that! Now thats customer service!

The cynic in me says "what is the fine print?". I say that because I had a colleague that got the same coupon/voucher from AirTran and eventually just ended up throwing them away because it was so difficult to use them on an itinerary that he wanted due to restrictions imposed by the coupon/voucher.

Actually I didn't get a voucher but got a letter with an apology and free trip good for a year. It looks pretty straight forward but who knows.

AirTran didn't have to do that. They could have done what the other airlines do and say too bad not our fault. NEXT!

Kind of like when there are weather delays and the airline employees love to say "we don't control the weather." Well duh! We know that. Do the airlines train their people to say that? I would be happy with "sorry and we will do the best we can to help you". But lose that line already, I am sick of hearing it. Its automatic defense and all it does it piss people off more. Get a new line! People don't blame the airline for weather but how they handle it after.

I don't know if your delay was weather related but again BRAVO ZULU AirTran!

There was a mechanical problem with the wheel in Newport News, Virginia that they had to repair.

I have had many delays in the past and the airlines never did anything. I was quite pleased with the letter. I do not know if I will even use the free flight at this point but I thought it was pretty nice.

It was not a voucher but a number and name of person to call when I was ready to book a flight.

There was a mechanical problem with the wheel in Newport News, Virginia that they had to repair.

I have had many delays in the past and the airlines never did anything. I was quite pleased with the letter. I do not know if I will even use the free flight at this point but I thought it was pretty nice.

It was not a voucher but a number and name of person to call when I was ready to book a flight.

Well send it to me! I actually live in Newport News but use Norfolk as a reference as we have a cruise port there. :D

Want my address now or later? :cool:

JJPNYC. For voluntary bumps, I've received five (5) free round trips on AirTran. A couple of times there haven't been comp seats available on a particular flight, but reservations has always helped me with alternative flights. Their vouchers are very simple to use and have a special phone number to book. Nice to be retired.

Looks open now.

Be prepared to pay for getting seats ahead of time. I think it was $6 per person each way. We got great flights from Westchester County Airport to Ft. Myers (non cruise vacation)--less than 100 each way!!!

Nope, not yet. We are hoping to fly down late afternoon on 2/12/09, and booking is available through 2/11/09. I keep checking every day. Our cruise is 2/15, so we'll spend a few days in FL before. (I wish spring training was going on then, but probably not, so we're going to Busch Gardens).

How has luggage handling been on AirTran? We usually fly non-stop out of MHT on SWA and never had an issue. With a layover in Atlanta, I'm worried our bags may not make it. I hope I am over thinking this...

Who knows? If the rates open up and they are super high, I just may wait for SWA to open up and fly out of MHT (our preferred airport). One of the draws to Airtran for us is the assigned seats. I like SWA, but admit having to log on 24 hours in advance to get my family together on a plane is starting to become a nuisance (especially from a cruiise ship). I've had others check us in, but I feel like it can be an inconvenience for them too... I'll gladly pay the assigned seat charge.

I know it's early, but airfare is the last big piece of the puzzle. Once it's done, all that's left is wait and wait and wait:)

That's good t know. Did you have a refundable fare, or was it an economy fare? With 5 tickets to purchase, we are going the cheapest way possible:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
The FAA consistently ranks AirTran as the BEST at baggage handling among all domestic carriers.

That's good to know. We only have a 45 minute layover in ATL, then off to MCO. I just hope we make it on time to ATL and there is enought time for the baggage handlers to switch the luggage to the second plane. We are only in Orlando overnight, and leaving the next morning, so lost luggage would be a bummer.

Sue. Since just about every AirTran flight is on the same concourse, don't think there is anything to worry about.

Thanks for the info. I thought for some reason that the Atlanta airport has different arrival and departure concourses. Last time we flew Delta, it took us about 30 minutes to get to the gate for our connection. Good to know this won't be the case with AirTran:)

I found out something new to me ... I booked a flight online for AirTran at a great price and used a popular motor club to book my discounted Disney vacation. The motor club agent heard I booked AirTran for my flights, went into the system, and assigned me seats for free even though I didn't book it with them. Evidently they waive the seat fee as long as you book something more than airfare with them.

Archived